Funniest chase moment of 2004

I thought I would kick these biggest and most threads along, this time with the funniest chase moment of 2004. So, what was the funniest thing that happened on one of your chases?

March 1, Kankakee. It was the first chase of the year so I was anxious to get out there and see something. I didn't get much sleep the night before because of the anticipation, even though the forecast chances for severe were marginal. So to say the least I was a little testy.

Stopped at an intersection, I was shooting some pictures out the window. "Tell me when it turns green," I said to my girlfriend, Jenny. A couple seconds later, "Its green!" I dropped the camera and got my hands on the wheel to start driving again. The light was still red. Jenny misunderstood and shouted "Its green!" when she saw the autofocus light on my camera light up. That was a good laugh. All of my tension and anxiety to get to the storms melted away, and I was able to enjoy the rest of the chase.

A close runner up was the beautiful mammatus chase of May 23. Jenny was having a dog of time trying to say mammatus. She kept calling it "Mega Mantis" and "Mamma mantis." lol

While out reporting a hail storm in Ponca, I was on the radio telling the listeners where the hail was and how big. Somehwere I got the bright idea about opening up the truck door, grabbing a piece and measuring it. Duh!

Our listeners were treated to me hollering, "Ouch! Owie!" as the hail proceeded to smack me. Oh yeah, really dumb move. You'd think I was smarter than that.

One day, while parked and filming an HP in SE CO, a couple, in their 60's or so, stopped to chat about the storm in front of them. For some reason, I thought they might be chasers. Had a couple of antennas or something. I asked the gentleman driver "Are you stormchasers?"

His reply: "No!! We're Storm-Runners-Away-From-'ers!!!"

Bob

One day I think it was in early June, Graham and I were at a Truck Stop waiting for some video to go out. We had been going for ungodly hours at that point and hadn't had a THING to eat all day (it's now like 11 pm) except sunflower seeds. See, sunflower seeds is sort of a staple for us on chases.

Anyway, we are waiting on this video to finish so we can finally go get a big dinner and just out of the blue and as serious as he possibly could say it, Graham says, "If I have to eat another !@#$@# sunflower seed I am going to grow a @!#$!@#$ beak!!!" You kind had to be there. I don't know if it was just being so tired and hungry or what but I just about fell out of the vehicle laughing and to this day remembering that still makes me laugh. We had a lot of good laughs, but that stands out as one of the most spontanious ones. :toothy10:

Now I am sure he will be along any minute to tell about the 64 oz Diet DP that I promptly soaked myself with on the turnpike! :oops:

May 29 - a bull just going to town on a cow, right in the middle of them all. My chase partner didn't notice it, but I was laughing so hard I was crying.

The funniest thing I have seen on a chase this year occurred on June 12, 2004 in Udall, Kansas.

My chase group and I noticed a man in overalls walking out of a convenience store, wearing overalls with no shirt underneath. Under his arm was a 24 pack of Miller Lite. With a look of satisfaction, he put the case of beer on his riding lawn mower and road off.

Gabe

The funniest thing I have seen on a chase this year occurred on June 12, 2004 in Udall, Kansas.

My chase group and I noticed a man in overalls walking out of a convenience store, wearing overalls with no shirt underneath. Under his arm was a 24 pack of Miller Lite. With a look of satisfaction, he put the case of beer on his riding lawn mower and road off.

Gabe

What's wrong with that? That happens in my neighborhood everyday... :lol: :lol: LOL

After a celebratory dinner at the Emporia, KS Applebees on May 24th, we returned to our room at the Fairfield Inn (great place, by the way), and watched a little TV to try to temper our extreme excitement and hopefully get a wink or two of sleep that evening. Larry King's penchant for things like "OVERLAND PARK, KANSAS, HELLO!!" has long been a comic favorite of ours, and we had been reminded of it by looking at our Kansas Gazetteer earlier in the day.

Kevin lounged in one of the beds while I did the same in a very comfortable chair with a USA Today (the near total isolation from world events was getting to me) and a fresh cup of coffee when Kev switched to CNN. Mike almost broke the door off the bathroom busting out of it laughing when we heard Larry say "MADISON, WISCONSIN, YOU'RE ON THE AIR!!!"

I guess you had to be there. Rarely have I laughed as hard as I did that night.

a

Note: In order to understand this story you will have to know that I am blind out of one of my eyes.

. Out of the dozens of people I have done this to, this is the first time this joke had ever worked and on 4/21/04 I got Mr. Shane Adams good. Shane, Chad, Jo and myself were heading down hwy 48. I happen to look to my right and see a nice looking Classic Supercell. I brought it to everyone’s attention and we decided to stop and check it out. As we were filming and talking, Shane says to me “Good eye Mick. Good Eye.â€￾. I replied by saying. “Don’t be making fun of my one eye m****r f****r.â€￾ I love that come back. I think everyone had a good laugh for a short while. I am glad it finally worked. LOL!

Mick

Re: a

Note: In order to understand this story you will have to know that I am blind out of one of my eyes.

. Out of the dozens of people I have done this to, this is the first time this joke had ever worked and on 4/21/04 I got Mr. Shane Adams good. Shane, Chad, Jo and myself were heading down hwy 48. I happen to look to my right and see a nice looking Classic Supercell. I brought it to everyone’s attention and we decided to stop and check it out. As we were filming and talking, Shane says to me “Good eye Mick. Good Eye.â€￾. I replied by saying. “Don’t be making fun of my one eye m****r f****r.â€￾ I love that come back. I think everyone had a good laugh for a short while. I am glad it finally worked. LOL!

Mick

(really laughing)

I knew when I saw Mickey's name on this thread what I was going to be reading. Yeah, he had me for about half a second. But I'll get him back next year :twisted:

:?: Orange City IA>> now i would figure a cop would be smarter then you think but some officer LETS just call him Jon.... i was sitting on the edge of the road waiting for storm initiation along a WF... well cop pulls up behind me and walks to my window and says do you know why i pulled you over... ??? i was like ummm ok .... and he didn't catch it at first, but then he got this stupid look on his face and i knew he felt like a dumbass,,,, he admitted to saying he was daydreaming or something... but i couldnt believe it, i laughed so hard .... when he left but he did a check on my plates and even though i gave him my license and registration my vehicle seemed to not be registered in my name ... so he check with NE state patrol or w.e and finally got him informed taht it was my pick-up and was registered in NE .... one hell of a day.... hard to believe in my own words but if it happens you you" happy laughing"

Dan

If scott reads this...im _dead_ so everyone shut up!

After the July 13th chase, 6 of us met up at steak n shake in Urbana, IL to eat dinner. Anyway, Scott's Ilchase pager had been going off like crazy and we were all kinda tired of it. Blake Naftel keeps asking..."why dont you just take the batteries out?" and scott continually replies with..."I will...hold on!" after it sounds another 5 or 6 times in a minute, Blake continues to ask him to take the batteries off...and Scott continues to not so kindly tell him to shut his mouth. After Blake asks one more time...Scott blurts out some obsenity and chucks the pager up in the air. See, he meant to toss it up and across the table...however, the man didnt know his own strength. He chucks the pager across the room and onto another table...where it landed a couple inches from a baby...in a bowl of french fries...We all kinda laughed, but hid our faces at the same time as the family starts looking around baffled. The woman at the table actually looked up at the cieling...like, did this pager just fall from the sky?? Blake got up and grabbed the pager, and sat back down quietly. From that point on, if any of us ever gets on Scott's nerve...he reminds us..."Dont start...ive got my pager!!!"

10 minutes later, as the family was leaving...the woman walked back over...handed us the back to his pager...and says.."i think this belongs to you all?" I couldnt help but start cracking up.

My funniest moment was probably on 5/29/2004 when I was getting followed by some dude. I thought that was pretty funny since I probably wouldn't even follow myself....at that point I hadn't seen a tornado since 2001 and was on something like my 30th or 31st tornadoless chase in a row.

One day I think it was in early June, Graham and I were at a Truck Stop waiting for some video to go out. We had been going for ungodly hours at that point and hadn't had a THING to eat all day (it's now like 11 pm) except sunflower seeds. See, sunflower seeds is sort of a staple for us on chases.

Anyway, we are waiting on this video to finish so we can finally go get a big dinner and just out of the blue and as serious as he possibly could say it, Graham says, "If I have to eat another !@#$@# sunflower seed I am going to grow a @!#$!@#$ beak!!!" You kind had to be there. I don't know if it was just being so tired and hungry or what but I just about fell out of the vehicle laughing and to this day remembering that still makes me laugh. We had a lot of good laughs, but that stands out as one of the most spontanious ones. :toothy10:

Now I am sure he will be along any minute to tell about the 64 oz Diet DP that I promptly soaked myself with on the turnpike! :oops:

Ahhh yes, the sunflower seeds.......a serious staple while chasing!!! I think David forgot about the time on the way up to Kansas when I grabed my DP, well what I thought was my DP, when in fact I grabbed the can David had been spitting sunflower seeds in for the past hour. He had trouble pulling over for me to spit it out he was laughing so hard. ugh, still grosses me out blech.

Now....to the 64oz soda that David just HAD to have. (I will give you guys the PG version....you can thank me later David) While chasing (or anytime for that matter) David refuses to buy bottled drinks because he likes to chew on the ice. The only one that likes to chew on ice as much as this guy is my roommates puppy :lol:. We were returning from (I think) the May 29th chase the day after and were on the turnpike where we stopped at one of the gas stations. I decided to go for a nice bottled diet dr.pepper but did David....nope, he went for the nice 64oz dr.pepper FILLED with ice. I think we were approx 1.5 miles down the road, just enough to get up to the turnpike speeds, when something excited/startled/surprised (cant really say) him and he knocked his FULL 64oz Dr.Pepper into his lap (directly focused in his sensitive area). I have NEVER heard a guy scream like this guy did. It took me about 20sec to get the video camera on but I have the last half of the screaming, yes it was screaming, and the aftermath on video. Some day I will show the video........that is if David doesnt get to it first. Oh, and to add insult to injury he had to sit on his soaked seat in jeans all the way back to Lubbock. It has been a long long time since I have laughed as hard as I did that day.

This is prob the only amusing event that is allowed to be told on the board without me getting a warning :). There were countless chase days where us and those with us were just rolling for miles and miles. Fun with camels, giant sea turtles, and random suicidal birds.......ask me some time and I will elaborate with all details...lmao. 8)

Graham Butler

This is prob the only amusing event that is allowed to be told on the board without me getting a warning :). There were countless chase days where us and those with us were just rolling for miles and miles. Fun with camels, giant sea turtles, and random suicidal birds.......ask me some time and I will elaborate with all details...lmao. 8)

Graham Butler

BAHAHAHA I forget about you "drinking" the sunflower seeds shells I spit in there! That was EXTREMELY funny!

You could have a whole thread alone on the weird stuff I do after an ENTIRE DOZEN box of creme filled Krispy Kremes. NO ONE SHOULD HAVE THAT MUCH SUGAR AT ONE SITTING! Beats the hell our of a cup of coffee (or a few dozen cups of coffee for that matter)!

Don't forget about the frogs at Dorothy's house in Liberal, KS!

Back