Fuel Mileage and Reliability

Even though my Nissan Xterra has a 300+ mile full tank range, I always keep the tank full, right up to the time when I'm actively pursuing a storm. I've ended up in areas where power is off and extra fuel was critical in getting to the next town or avoiding lines when time is critical. The fun starts when hurricane chasing. Fuel is the juice of life. If fuel is available, I'll stop and top off the tank even if its only a couple of gallons low. You never know when or where the next opportunity will occur. Extra fuel cans are great but you can't store them in a vehicle. There is also an excellent app called "Gas Buddy" that shows gas stations with fuel. I used it during Hurricane Irma.

Warren, check out Rotopax. I've been heavily considering them. Will probably put a combo plate mount with 2 2-gallon cans onto a hitch-mounted spare tire carrier.

It's only 4 gallons, but 4 gallons will likely get someone to a fueling station, or out of a disaster area.

Warren, check out Rotopax. I've been heavily considering them. Will probably put a combo plate mount with 2 2-gallon cans onto a hitch-mounted spare tire carrier.

It's only 4 gallons, but 4 gallons will likely get someone to a fueling station, or out of a disaster area.

Thanks, but I mostly use rental SUV's for hurricanes as I fly in and it would be difficult to carry such a set up. I'm also not a big fan of gas cans near the rear bumper area as too many people are texting and causing rear end accidents. Gas igniting there could be a disaster.

Back