Finally nailed storm + moon

Hey guys, I have been trying for this shot for seven years. The challenge has been of course that when it is storming, the moon is almost always covered up by clouds or not in the right place in the sky. Well, this month I finally nailed it, lightning + moon. It was a little cell, but it put out a few good CGs. The scene only lasted I'd say 2 minutes or so, then it just vanished, the storm was over and the moon was no longer in position, just like that! But...hah! Finally got it. =) It's on my front page. Enjoy.

http://www.lightninglady.com

If you have storm+moon, storm+stars, storm+sun, storm+tree...something of that nature, please share!

Last edited by a moderator:
Another great shot Susan... I know I've always thought about doing this, but I'm not as dedicated as you! ;) Congrats on finally getting it!

Great job Susan! Its great when you finally reach a goal that you've been trying for ages to accomplish. Perseverence does pay off!! Great work.

nice shot!

Great Shot.. i love storm pictures with moon, stars, etc..

Its not as good at that one but i got one earlier this summer (May 9, 2006)
50920066.jpg

August 10, 2006 star trails and developing storm
DSCN7509x.JPG

earlier this summer as well (May 4, 2006) - lightning, star trails and lightning bug (somewhat underexposed - im still learning)
028eee.jpg

Brian Emfinger
www.realclearwx.com

Great shot susan. I like it! I also like how you left it how you saw it and didnt use photoshop or try and change it. Keep up the good work.

Congrats Susan, realizing a goal like that is reason to celebrate. A few years ago I reached a photo goal that took 2 years and over 25 120-mile round trip chases to accomplish. One of the greatest feelings in chasing is reaching a personal goal. Go treat yourself to a nice dinner out!

Thanks you guys!

Brian, it is amazing that a moon would be visible at all in storm clouds that thick. Nice timing! I'm sure that wasn't easy at all! I like the "rain" look of the stars too.

Dan what was your photographic goal that you met?

Susan - yeah i was surprised when i saw it coming through.. it was only out for a few minutes in some clearing just behind the storm and then it was gone.

I wonder what others are after for their dream shot? Mine would be lightning in a thundersnow event.

Susan, your shot absolutely captivates me, without allowing my eyes a break from the image I become in a trance. The palm trees add a lot to the image, I love how the branching is going on just next to the trees. The moon is in a perfect position too. I have been trying to get this as well, but it seems to be a rare factor, all determined, on moonrise, and storm motion/direction. Inclusive in the shot are the mountains, which I overlooked at first, but now see. They are beautiful...the storm must have been very elevated/non-sfc based, correct?

Nice shot Susan! I'm glad you were finally able to capture what you wanted.

Pat

Back