Fatality reports & death toll thread

wow what a grizzly thought -
......plus the real threat of disease, water contamination, heat exhaustion, sewage, chemical spills, dehidration, hunger, floating corpses, looting, violence, more flooding this thing is a long way from being over....and now they must leave the superdome...lets all pause and pray for those that arent gonna make it

"Hundreds, perhaps thousands, dead in New Orleans."

I quote this because it came from the Mayor of the city by way of the AP.

DHS was giving an estimated figure of 100,000...absolutely incredible. If this turnes out to be true, not only will it be the deadliest hurricane in US history, but it will actually be deadlier than all of the hurricanes in the past combined.

That seems totally unrealistic. Any ideas on how they broke that down?

Banda Aceh, Sumatra, Indonesia

Chris,

I heard a report on one of the news stations yesterday that survivors in Biloxi described a storm surge (?) filled with wood and debris that looked like a moving floor, going right toward them.

Remember the footage from Banda Aceh, Indonesia at that wedding party, near the epicenter of the Indian Ocean earthquake last December? That's exactly how the waves going through that town looked in that video.

I've really been worried that we were going to hear an eventual figure like this "DHS" one...only hope they're vastly wrong on the high side.

DHS was giving an estimated figure of 100,000...absolutely incredible. If this turnes out to be true, not only will it be the deadliest hurricane in US history, but it will actually be deadlier than all of the hurricanes in the past combined.

That seems totally unrealistic. Any ideas on how they broke that down?

They are basing it on percentages: They figured 250,000 just in New Orleans that did not evacuate, and based on people coming out and rescue numbers, they figure at least 1/3 of the people that stayed drowned. Then they added in the estimates from the Mississippi Coastal Areas.

I'm not saying that this will be 100% accurate, but based on a lot of stories coming out, the number of dead vs the given figures are already way off.

I have a copy of the Dallas Morning News from yesterday that said "55 dead"... what an understatement (though understandably so in lieu of hard info).

Tim

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/pastdead.html

Heya, Chris! Where'd you hear this? I'm looking around the net and can't find that figure. I'm not saying it's wholly unrealistic (my guess would be the 20,000-30,000 range) -- I'm just looking for sourceing.

Death Toll?

Realistically this is the beginning of a new age, where the truth is only found on non-editor approved sites. No editor wants to admit the truth about this one. It doesn't matter anyhow since we all need to fend for ourselves to prevent more. Exactly who can afford to help when the price of gas takes away rent and food money?

the financial wave that will follow will make the tsunami look pathetic

BUILD HYDRO CARS NOW!

The gas-powered car age is over, get groceries with the last of your gas, as prices will increase on everything quicker than we have ever seen.

Jared

So you are saying that the media is lying to the public? For what reason? Will they ever admit the truth, or will 100,000 graves be dug without anyone noticing?

Sorry - just noticed you were joking because you said gas-powered cars are going away ;>

- Rob

So you are saying that the media is lying to the public? For what reason? Will they ever admit the truth, or will 100,000 graves be dug without anyone noticing?

Sorry - just noticed you were joking because you said gas-powered cars are going away ;>

- Rob

To be fair to him, nobody is body-counting right now. The reason the death toll is so low is that people have been too busy rescuing people to do anything about the bodies. Rescuers have been pushing aside floating bodies as they do their job. They will get to them later.

It's not a coverup, it's just that the numbers game isn't important right now -- saving lives is.

- Rob

To be fair to him, nobody is body-counting right now. The reason the death toll is so low is that people have been too busy rescuing people to do anything about the bodies. Rescuers have been pushing aside floating bodies as they do their job. They will get to them later.

It's not a coverup, it's just that the numbers game isn't important right now -- saving lives is.

correct, I am confident that God will keep track of the numbers.

Jared

I just returned to mobile from Pass Christian to deliver food, water and gasoline to a friend of mine's family. they were above the surge line, by a few feet. the water litterally got in the lot next to them.

Anyway they gave me first hand reports of bodies in the trees as you go down towards the beach. They started naming off names of people they knew personally that died.

first I thought everyone was being doomsday stuff, but soon it will be clear how many people that died. The list will grow do to desease.

Excerpts from NOLA.com:

Rescuers 'had to push the bodies back with sticks'
By Trymaine D. Lee

Lucrece Phillips’ sleepless nights are filled with the images of dead babies and women, and young and old men with tattered T-shirts or graying temples, all of whom she saw floating along the streets of the Lower 9th Ward.

The deaths of many of her neighbors who chose to brave the hurricane from behind the walls of their Painter Street homes shook tears from Phillips’ bloodshot eyes Tuesday, as a harrowing tale of death and survival tumbled from her lips.

\"The rescuers in the boats that picked us up had to push the bodies back with sticks,\" Phillips said sobbing. \"And there was this little baby. She looked so perfect and so beautiful. I just wanted to scoop her up and breathe life back into her little lungs. She wasn’t bloated or anything, just perfect.\"

Phillips’ downstairs neighbor, Terrilyn Foy, 41, and her 5-year-old son, Trevor, were unable to escape, Phillips said. By late Monday the surging waters of Lake Pontchartrain had swallowed the neighborhood. The water crept, then rushed, under the front door, Phillips said, then knocked it from its hinges. In less than 30 minutes, Phillips said, the water had topped her neighbors’ 12-foot ceiling and was gulping at hers.

\"I can still hear them banging on the ceiling for help,\" Phillips said, shaking. \"I heard them banging and banging, but the water kept rising.\" Then the pleas for help were silenced by the sway of the current, she said.

Back