EOS 40D and 50D lens compatability

I would like to get an EOS-40D or 50D to use instead of the 10D I've had since 2003. However I was curious about the lens compatability with lenses for the 10D. I want to get the 10-22mm lens as well. The lenses I currently have are a Canon 28-90mm, Canon 70-200mm L lens, and a Sigma 17-35mm. I got the 70-200 the day I bought the camera and the other 2 lenses for about as long if not longer. Does anyone know if these lenses will work with the 40 and 50D cameras or will I need to start getting all new lenses?

The 40D or 50D will be compatible with the Canon lenses since they're EF mount types and the Sigma should be fine as well. 40D or 50D will be compatible with any EF-S Canon lens mount as well which includes the 10-22mm.

The 40D or 50D will be compatible with the Canon lenses since they're EF mount types and the Sigma should be fine as well. 40D or 50D will be compatible with any EF-S Canon lens mount as well which includes the 10-22mm.

Thanks for the reply. I read that the 10-22mm doesn't work with the 10D. I'm taking it doesnt work with the 10D because of the EF-S mount?

Yes, that is correct. EFS lens actually mount to the camera slightly different than normal EF lenses do. They have a little white dot for mounting alignment, whereas the EF lenses have a red dot. I know they work with the 30D (I have), 40D and 50D. They don't work with the 10D (also have). Also, as an aside, the 10-22 is an amazing lens for wide angle work. For low light storm work, you'll have to push up the ISO a bit to get shorter exposures and keep things sharp. :)

James

Yes, that is correct. EFS lens actually mount to the camera slightly different than normal EF lenses do. They have a little white dot for mounting alignment, whereas the EF lenses have a red dot. I know they work with the 30D (I have), 40D and 50D. They don't work with the 10D (also have). Also, as an aside, the 10-22 is an amazing lens for wide angle work. For low light storm work, you'll have to push up the ISO a bit to get shorter exposures and keep things sharp. :)

James

Ever since I first saw some pictures taken with the 10-22, I've wanted that lens. I was kind of disheartened to see it wouldnt work with the 10D, but at the same time I'd like to upgrade to the 40 or 50D because I like the bigger screen and the higher megapixel

I just purchased the Canon 10-22 after owning the Sigma 10-20 for about a year. IMO, the 10-22 is one of the best lenses a dedicated Canon person could own. I'm also looking to upgrade from my current XS to the 40D or 50D. There will be various opinions out there as to upgrades and what camera someone should consider but as of right now I'm leaning more towards the 40D rather than the 50D. Ever since the 50D was released about a year ago, the biggest issue that most people have complained about is the amount of noise at higher ISOs v.s. the 40D. Since its release last October, there has been a firmware upgrade to help alleviate that problem but the consensus among many is that the 40D v.s. 50D debate leans towards the 40D. Also remember it wouldn't surprise me to see a "60D" or a camera of its likeness released within the next 6 months since Nikon just announced the D300s. Now keep in mind the 40D will be sort of difficult to get brand new out of box right now. You can get refurbished 40Ds from Adorama and BuyDig right now in the $700 range and it looks like those are refurbished by Canon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back