Does anyone use the GEMPAK software?

Interesting rdale. You are certainly a gempak guru :) How much would it cost to get scripts from you. I obviously don't have time or know how to write 500 lines of code...

"Guru" might be too strong - just someone who has used it for a decade and doesn't mind sharing that with others ;)

$60 gets you the scripts, some config files that need to be copied into your GEMPAK directory, and a 'cron' sample to get all the data flowing.

Yahoo! I get to revive the GEMPAK thread:) I am having trouble viewing .gem files for case study purposes. I thought placing the files in the necessary directory (i.e. /home/gempak/GEMPAK5.11.1/gempak/data) folders, that I would be able to view them in either garp or nmap2. Any suggestions or tips from GEMPAK experts?

That's all you do. If you are using old data, you'll want to change the date/time on the slider bar. Otherwise make sure that the naming convention of the .gem files matches what you have in the $GEMTBL/config/datatype.tbl

Thanks for the quick reply rdale! I think I understand the problem at this point. I see no GEMTBL files in my directory... I thought the gen_pqact.csh found under /home/gempak/GEMPAK5.11.1/ldm/etc was supposed to set up those directories?

Hey Victor, I have never worked with or used the LDM before, but since the LDM is for finding data and direct it to the right place on your system, the gen_pqact.csh might be more for that. I think what rdale means is that for nmap or garp to see the data in those directories it has to be named according to what your datatype.tbl is looking for. If you echo $GEMTBL you should be able to see where your tables will be located. You can change directories to that location and there should be a config directory where you should see the datatype.tbl file. Go in there and see the data format the gempak is looking for in regards to surface, upper air and model data. Make sure that your case study data is in that format and in the directory that the datatype.tbl file is looking for and then you should be set.

Excellent! Thanks Josh! I found the datatype.tbl file! I will try to figure out how modify it without blowing anything up ;)

Unfortunately, It seems as if the data I have is already in that format. I'm basically just trying to view a file named 20081223_sao.gem that is already placed in the surface folder (/home/gempak/GEMPAK5.11.1/gempak/data/surface). Hmm...

That is interesting Victor. Does it see other real-time data? Is it just this one day that is missing? If it is seeing real-time data, then it could be that the data is too old in those directories to be listed b/c other data is being listed first. One thing you could try is put the data into another directory and then set your environmental variables to that directory and see if nmap or garp will see the data then. It would only be good for your current log-in session, but at least you would be able to see the data. Something like:

setenv OBS /(where-ever you putt he data here)

You could also use programs within gempak like sfcmap or gdplot to plot the data as well. That way you could set the location of the data within the program, if you have ever done anything like that.

I finally got Fedora installed on my old computer and tried to mess around with Gempak with rdewey. But when I tried to run it after setting it up, I got this error message:

ntl: error while loading shared libraries: libXp.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

anyone know what that means? Thanks.

I have been having a somewhat similar problem when trying to get Gempak to run. However, the only program I can get to run is ntl, the basic launcher for the other programs. I can even exit properly from ntl. I downloaded a binary form of Gempak and when I try to run it in a csh shell I get the error:

"nmap2: error while loading shard libraries: libgfortran.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

Obviously, the nmap2 changes with whatever program I am trying to run. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!

Chip

I have been having a somewhat similar problem when trying to get Gempak to run. However, the only program I can get to run is ntl, the basic launcher for the other programs. I can even exit properly from ntl. I downloaded a binary form of Gempak and when I try to run it in a csh shell I get the error:

"nmap2: error while loading shard libraries: libgfortran.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

Obviously, the nmap2 changes with whatever program I am trying to run. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!

Chip

I haven't messed around with GEMPAK in quite awhile (since Dan posted the quote above, most likely)... but my guess is that the binary version is trying to use outdated libraries.

You'll probably have to build from source.

Tried to build from source before and it turned out to be more frustrating I thought. Ended up googling the libgfortran.so.-- and downloaded it. This fixed the problem and everything works great now. Such a simple fix that it never even crossed my mind. Well, now its on to the scripts...

Thanks for the reply Dewey.

Chip

I'm going to give gempak a shot, It is in the process of compiling on cygwin, wonder how far it will get!

Has anyone made an attempt to run gempak or compile it on an x86_64 system? Does it have any 64bit code?

Back