Does anyone use the GEMPAK software?

I would like to use it for making forecast maps from different models (like I do now with the GrADS software), and I have some questions about it.
Thanks.

I use GEMPAK - what type of questions do you have? There are plenty of threads on Stormtrack regarding all my problems / questions about it... :lol: :lol:

Thank you for the responses.

First I would like to know is there a way of converting .gem files to netcdf or something of the sort that I would be able to open with GrADS and save myself the trouble of installing GEMPAK.

Second, has anyone tried using it on windows using cygwin? Unfortunately I don't have any of the platforms that GEMPAK requires.

Third, I am interested in GEMPAK for one particular reason, which is making forecast maps from models for my region (Europe and the Middle East). If anyone who has the program is willing to find out for me whether two certain models with .gem files I have found on a server are global or just for North America, I would very much appreciate it. If they are not global then I have no need for GEMPAK and can continue using GrADS with GFS from nomad servers.

Thanks!

I would be glad to email them (2.5mb), but I can't provide a link since they are on a password ftp server (from motherlode.ucar.edu, decoded data archives).

The model files are 2005082100_ecmf1.gem (2.2mb), 2005082100_ecmf2.gem (248k), 2005082100_ecmwf255.gem (28k). Each model run creates three files such as these. The model is ECMWF. Due to the small filesizes I suspect they do not contain global data...

The model files are 2005082100_ecmf1.gem (2.2mb), 2005082100_ecmf2.gem (248k), 2005082100_ecmwf255.gem (28k). Each model run creates three files such as these. The model is ECMWF. Due to the small filesizes I suspect they do not contain global data...
The ECMWF files on Purdue's server are about 2.5M and have the global output, so you might be in shape.

BC

I finally got Fedora installed on my old computer and tried to mess around with Gempak with rdewey. But when I tried to run it after setting it up, I got this error message:

ntl: error while loading shared libraries: libXp.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

anyone know what that means? Thanks.

I finally got Fedora installed on my old computer and tried to mess around with Gempak with rdewey. But when I tried to run it after setting it up, I got this error message:

ntl: error while loading shared libraries: libXp.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

anyone know what that means? Thanks.

Are you running a pre-compiled binary or one that you compiled on the Fedora box? That message means the library 'libXp' was not able to be found on your system. Type the command 'locate libXp.so' and if a file shows up then your /etc/ld.conf file needs to be updated with the path to that library.

type:
yum search xorg-x11-deprecated-libs-devel

then type:
yum install xorg-x11-deprecated-libs-devel

welcome to the world of being a Linux admin, you better learn quick ;)

Back