Does a chaser have a responsibility to warn?

Does a chaser have a responsibility to report severe weather?

• Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Does a chaser have a responsibility to report severe weather? Is it a mandatory part of what we do? What's your opinion? Though this has been brought up on other lists, it will be worth seeing the responses in context with the poll.

Tim

Those who know me well know that I am a firm believer that chasers have a responsibility to warn whenever the situation presents itself that their actions may save lives.

The opportunity isn't always there, understandably. However, if faced with an oncoming tornado that is approaching a small subdivision or lone farmhouse, if the time is there to do so, I would do all I can to ensure the occupant's safety in the most practical way at the situation.

On a more "spotter" type level, I also feel it is the responsibility of a chaser to call in severe weather reports to the appropriate agency. Even today, there have been some severe thunderstorms whose characteristics have not by Doppler Radar been characterized as severe which have developed strong tornadoes, and have been missed by the National Weather Service. Some storms are "spotterless". One call by a knowledgable chaser can save lives.

Of course there will always be chasers who feel they're just there "to watch". That's their choice of course. IMO, I feel I would be doing an unforgivable act if I didn't warn...and would hold myself responsible in the event of the worst if I failed to even try.

Jeffrey Miller

warning others

I think any human being has an obligation to warn others of danger. Chasers in particular have unique qualifications and expertise that can save lives in situations where no spotters are present, or spotters are too scattered or in the wrong place. We attend Skywarn training, use the amateur airwaves, and drive public roads without paying significant taxes in the states we chase when away from home. More than that, it's the right thing to do.

Amos Magliocco

Pretty much what I feel has already been posted. I would be curious to hear the reasoning behind the no votes.

Chris Sokol/KD5ILI
Mobile Weather Concepts
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

I agree with the previous posts. It isnt about being a chaser with a responability to warn. Its about being a human trying to save another humans life when given the opportunity. period.

its good to know there are others who feel the same and take a responsibilty seriously even when having fun.

Yes a chaser does have the responsibility to warn of an oncoming severe weather event, in an isolated area as well in small town village, where the warning system is still manually operated, ie: I am sure in some small towns there is someone that still pushes the fire whistle button, to alert the local VFD to a call, also the NWR system is far better than it was 10 years ago as far as coverage is concerned, but there are still holes in the coverage, especially in hilly or mountainous locales. Here in the Platte Valley of west central Nebraska we are pretty well covered weather warning system wise, from my house I can hear 3 NWR transmitters easily, and more if conditions permit.

Interesting poll topic, I say ABSOLUTELY. Even if you have to cut off chase to stop at a pay phone to do so. You may be the only one on the storm, you may not, but when it comes to saving lives better safe than sorry.

Originally posted by mikegeukes

I still think there is a perception between the chasing world
and spotting world, that storm chasers are superior in
knowledge of severe weather to spotters. Thats why reports
of spotter and sheriff tornado reports do not get much respect
and credence to some chasers.

What Mike said is the truth. Most experienced chasers *are* superior in knowledge of severe weather when compared to spotters. A pretty logical assumption if one considers just how much severe weather a chaser sees when compared with a spotter who doesn't go looking far for these types of phenonena.

Concerning the poll ...I voted "no". The reason? I don't feel that any chaser has a true "responsibility" to report what he or she is seeing any more than a person who has witnessed a traffic accident *has* the responsibilty of reporting it or getting involved. Now, I do think one has *at times* a moral obligation to report what he or she is witnessing, especially if said storm is not being handled well by spotters or perhaps there is an absence of spotters entirely. I guess my main point is that if you decide you want to chase storms, you should not feel like you have to go out and get a cell phone or a ham radio/license because you have a "responsibility" to report. Besides, in many areas there are more than enough spotters ...many of which are ready to get a piece of the glory in being the first to report deadly weather. Of course, it would be nice if all chasers made it a habit to report what they are seeing, one would not want to assume that it was being reported (if you already had the ability to)...even after the fact for verification purposes.

This thread could be expanded to include a discussion about what the differences are between a spotter and a storm chaser. Some wear both hats! But there are distinct differences.

..Gene..

Gene brings up a good point about the distinct differences between spotters and chasers.

I often debate with myself on whether to chase or stay in my home territory and act as a spotter. I can honestly say that when I know severe weather is expected in my home area that I will not go out and chase. As one of the few "active" spotters in my area, I do feel a responsibility to my skywarn group as well as the EMD to stay 'home' and take care of business here. This is not a 'hero syndrome', it is just that I feel that my contributions can help keep my family and friends safer in the event that severe weather threatens. I know that I miss out on some major action in other regions because of this, but I would lose my peace of mind if something happened here while I was out chasing somewhere else.

I understand what the debate between chaser and spotter and the differences between. Good one to ponder. But honestly I could not live with myself knowing that if I had a chance to warn unknowing others of impending weather disaster and did not do it, be it as a chaser or a spotter. Hope that someone would do that for me if I was in the line of fire (and not aware of it, being at work will do that to ya). I could not imagine seeing a house or town leveled and I knew it was coming, but not giving the unsuspecting a chance to seek shelter.

reporting severe weather

I also voted yes that chasers should report severe weather especially tornadoes. I think it is a responsibility of every human being to help others. Storm chasers have an additional responsibility since we are often near storms and have the knowledge and experience to effectively report severe weather. That small dust whirl under a rotating wall cloud may be blown off by your average Joe. In addition, chasers do use government resources for chasing (ie bandwith of NWS sites for downloading weather data and forecasts). Until recently, many chasers would also visit NWS offices to look at data. We should "give back" when possible including storm warnings, after the event reports and photos/video.

Besides moral responsibility, there are benefits for chasers. By reporting severe weather, it puts chasers into better regard for NWS employees, law enforcement and other officials along with the general public.

Although I do recognize the need to report, I do find reporting to be difficult when I'm in a unfamiliar area and don't know who to call. Also, I don't want to be the 20th person to tie up the lines of communication by reporting the same tornado.

Bill Hark
http://www.harkphoto.com

Back