Do you think the Federal relief effort is being mismanaged?

Do you think the Federal relief effort is being mismanaged?

• Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kevin, this isn't always about people who could-have-but-refused-to leave. There are still tons of people there who couldn't leave. Folks who literally couldn't afford to leave, elderly or disable people who couldn't physically leave, etc... Yes, I don't feel overly bad for those who could have but chose not to leave, but you can't hold it against the folks who couldn't physically leave...

Originally posted by Jeff Snyder
Kevin, this isn't always about people who could-have-but-refused-to leave. There are still tons of people there who couldn't leave. Folks who literally couldn't afford to leave, elderly or disable people who couldn't physically leave, etc... Yes, I don't feel overly bad for those who could have but chose not to leave, but you can't hold it against the folks who couldn't physically leave...

yes and those are the people who are being rescued and not the looters and what really is moronic is fox news saying people wouldnt leave because they couldnt bring their pets

Originally posted by Jeff Snyder

You would think that city/county officials would know that there would be elderly and sick people who would have no means of getting out of the city.

More-or-less repeating a post from three days ago....

Telling a million people to get the hell out of town -- NOW! -- and don't plan on returning for maybe a few months because there's a storm coming that will totally destroy all you have and have a nice day... is not an evacuation plan. It's a travesty. At the absolute minimum you say, "You go to X, you go to Y, you go to Z," and you have shelter, security, sustenance, and health care en route to X, Y, and Z before the storm hits.

For God's sake... some of the people posting really need to turn the mirror around and look at their own situation before condemning so many others.

Originally posted by Kevin Bowman+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kevin Bowman)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-John Farley
I am utterly amazed at the very limited use of U.S. military resources. Sending ships that will arrive next week does nothing for the thousands stranded and in danger of dying. Air drops of food and water are needed immediately, and nobody but the U.S. military has the resources to move large numbers of people in a short time as needed for this disaster. There seems to have been no plan to do this, and when yesterday was allowed to pass with no such action undertaken, the fates of many who are trapped was, I fear, sealed. This is a national disgrace.

Yes, it is a very spread-out large-scale disaster, on an unprecedented scale, but there have been 15,000 people in need of food and water at the convention center and even this large, concentrated mass of people had received no assistance as of the last report I heard.

yep airdrop food and water into the middle of looters and watch people get killed by the stampede. You really think the people who need the help the most get it by air drops?[/b]

Yes, if you also parachute in some troops for crowd control.

Originally posted by David Wolfson
More-or-less repeating a post from three days ago....

Telling a million people to get the hell out of town -- NOW! -- and don't plan on returning for maybe a few months because there's a storm coming that will totally destroy all you have and have a nice day... is not an evacuation plan. It's a travesty. At the absolute minimum you say, \"You go to X, you go to Y, you go to Z,\" and you have shelter, security, sustenance, and health care en route to X, Y, and Z before the storm hits.

For God's sake... some of the people posting really need to turn the mirror around and look at their own situation before condemning so many others.

its not a travesty, thats life when you live in a bowl surronded by water with a category 5 hurricane on the way

Originally posted by John Farley+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John Farley)</div>
Originally posted by Kevin Bowman@

I am utterly amazed at the very limited use of U.S. military resources. Sending ships that will arrive next week does nothing for the thousands stranded and in danger of dying. Air drops of food and water are needed immediately, and nobody but the U.S. military has the resources to move large numbers of people in a short time as needed for this disaster. There seems to have been no plan to do this, and when yesterday was allowed to pass with no such action undertaken, the fates of many who are trapped was, I fear, sealed. This is a national disgrace.

Yes, it is a very spread-out large-scale disaster, on an unprecedented scale, but there have been 15,000 people in need of food and water at the convention center and even this large, concentrated mass of people had received no assistance as of the last report I heard.

yep airdrop food and water into the middle of looters and watch people get killed by the stampede. You really think the people who need the help the most get it by air drops?

Yes, if you also parachute in some troops for crowd control.[/b]

you are going to need a lot more than some troops, you will need hundreds

Originally posted by David Wolfson
... I feel sorry for those who think it would be different if, say, a terrorist had set off a dirty nuclear bomb in Chicago.

even a dirty bomb wouldnt cause this much havoc, it would have to be a full nuclear explosion

BTW how bout phoenix? would be just as bad

Originally posted by Rob_Davis+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rob_Davis)</div>

Obviously not a skydiver, are you?[/b]

Please don't get personal, Rob. I probably know a lot more about disaster relief than you do. The U.S. military has certainly dropped troops into situations more difficult than this. I don't know the exact spot where the convention center is located, but certainly in every city there are areas where drops are possible. Our troops, at least some of them, are trained to be dropped into difficult situations. I just hope that not all of them with such training are halfway around the world.

I think its safe to say that all levels of government, Feds, State, and Local, have all been caught with their pants down... everyone, regardless of state, of party, of whatever. No one apparently thought that extensive backup emergency communications for personnel would be needed if low-lying New Orleans flooded. Budgets for improvements were slashed, both by the current administration, and previous administrations. There is no single organ of government to blame... it is a colossal tower of screwups, from some of the lowliest officials to Washington D.C itself.

In the future, I think this will be a textbook example of what NOT to do during a crisis... and will make many a sociological, poli-sci, and anthropological dissertations for years to come...

Originally posted by John Farley+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John Farley)</div>
Originally posted by Rob_Davis@

Obviously not a skydiver, are you?

Please don't get personal, Rob. I probably know a lot more about disaster relief than you do. The U.S. military has certainly dropped troops into situations more difficult than this. I don't know the exact spot where the convention center is located, but certainly in every city there are areas where drops are possible. Our troops, at least some of them, are trained to be dropped into difficult situations. I just hope that not all of them with such training are halfway around the world.[/b]

They arent going to be dropping Navy Seals into this area.

Watching FEMA give their news conference. And I see the video footage of thousands and thousands of people surrounding this one school bus.....only one bus is there (in the video that spans the whole Superdome) do I blame these people who are in panic and want to get on that bus. NO WAY, there is obviously no one in charge.

Originally posted by Anonymous
Watching FEMA give their news conference. And I see the video footage of thousands and thousands of people surrounding this one school bus.....only one bus is there (in the video that spans the whole Superdome) do I blame these people who are in panic and want to get on that bus. NO WAY, there is obviously no one in charge.

1 bus at that time, there are close to 8k already 300 miles away at the astrodome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back