Do you have a storm shelter?

Like most - if there's a tornado, I'll be following it and not hiding from it. But if a tornado occurs at NIGHT and I'm not chasing, then I'd head to the basement - which has a utility room that is not under the frame of the house and would offer some good protection.

Some friends of ours lost their home in Liberty last year ... they were trying to get to the basement when it hit, and fortunately they didn't make it - because the entire house collapsed into the basement with virtually no space that would have been safe for them. One was in a doorway and one dove under a table and fortunately both happened to be in areas that ended up safe - We actually have video of their home within just a few minutes of the tornado - while they were still trapped inside waiting for rescue. Seeing the rubble that was left of their home, I am still amazed that they survived at all.

Sometimes the basement is not the best idea (as also illustrated by the tavern in Uttica, Illinois this year that claimed eight lives).

When I was younger my parents rented a house that had a basement.

My fear of tornadoes went from getting hit by one, to whether or not I would make it to the basement in time - hehehe

I think that was the first time I realized I needed to get over it.

The parents and I live in a summer house built entirely of wood so if there's a tornado, and I'm not chasing it, I'm probably just gonna hit record and go stick my head in the toilet - it's the only option LOL

Back