Do you have a storm shelter?

Thomas Loades

Being the blatant WX-weenie that I am, it occurred to me while our house is being renovated that now the first floor bathroom has lost its skylight, it would be an effective storm shelter as it is now a windowless, fairly small room a the center of our house — even though we may never need it as a storm shelter . . . but you never know.

Do you have a specific place in mind where you'd take shelter in a severe weather event?

And if you don't, now may be a better time to think about it than when the tornado sirens go off in your neighborhood. (And you're not chasing, of course.)

A storm chaser with a storm shelter! Hmmmm now thats an oxymoron! :D

I do not have a storm shelter. If it gets that bad I will take my wife and daughter to my parents house where they have an underground storm shelter. I will be out getting video footage and sending reports on it.

I have a reinforced concrete (8" thick, including ceiling) enclosed room in my basement (north wall). I'd feel pretty safe in there. Many houses on this street have one, with the houses being built in 1953, it might of been considered a bomb shelter or some sort (who knows).

Our TV station was once a bank building, and on every floor there are vaults... but the newsroom is underground in a steel-reinforced concrete bunker like room. Probably the safest place around... unless the upper floors collapse. :shock:

It's so dense it's impossible to get a digital cell signal down there.

mp

Originally posted by Carrie Halliday
Agreed, but I live in a metro area and chasing something this close to home would be a disaster with our traffic.

Living in a metro area would be difficult to chase with the traffic. Even on sunny days the traffic can be a headache not to mention if there was a severe storm in the area.
I try to avoid metro areas while chasing for that reason.

I got a small room that is compleatly reinforced with concrete down behind my garage. I don't know why it was built that way. LOL, though I don't think I would ever use it as a shelter from a Tornado.

At my last house I built an 6' x 6' underground storm shelter in 2001, with generous help from Shane Adams. I don't think I'll ever try that again... a pre-fab drop-in shelter would have been a bit cheaper and more waterproof. Cost, with materials, extra tools, and equipment rental was about $5000 or so.. And I never want to see Oklahoma red clay ever again! :)

Tim

:roll: I think most of us pretty well know if a Tornado is even remotely close. If you are like me, I'm like a caged cat if I can't get out there and find it. So----, no need for a storm shelter at my house cause I'm not going to be there anyway. But, my neighbor has a safe room just in case I'm caught with no way to get out there

Back