Different Forms of Chasers - 2010 Version

The type I would fit in I'll call "photojournalist chaser". Some of us make images, and more images, and more images :) Each one is different. A photojournalist chaser's goal is to preserve storms on film, hoping for the truly rare...chasing the things that elude us, for years, but do finally come.

It is not necessary to string or work for a station to be a "photojournalist chaser" but we strive to be published all over the place. Why? One reason is that there could be another angle to the photojournalism...in my case a shameless plug for wilderness, special lands and places. I hope my pictures bring attention to wild areas, particularly the fragile deserts and parks, so that they may be appreciated, fussed over and preserved (one can hope). Upon learning what actually goes on in a desert, a lot of people are blown away by it.

I think there are a lot of us who, like wildlife photogs, chase storms for photojournalism, attempting to put a storm + a natural wonder in front of people. Photographing wolves brings appreciation for wolves. Photojournalism of storms in the wilderness brings attention to wild places, and they need luv too.
http://www.lightninglady.com/photos/LLRainbowcholla.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I respectfully submit two more categories:

* The Fear-No-Evil Chaser: This is the logical extension of the Extreme Chaser. While I'm not aware of anyone who presently fits the bill, it's only a matter of time. The mindset of this chaser will run something like this: "TIVs are for wimps. All I need is a surfboard." Here is a link with a visual that gives you the idea, and another link that demonstrates the simplicity of the concept.

* The Sunnofableeeeeep!!! Chaser: A subset of the Pseudo-Chaser, this chaser is defined by a threefold combination of total ignorance of storm structure and behavior, an aggressive impulse to get as close as possible to a tornado, and a strong tendency to crap his pants when he succeeds.

As for me, I guess you can consider me a Cruise Chaser. Wish I could afford to upgrade, but the farther you live from the Plains, the more it costs to move up the ranks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am increasing seeing a distinct tornado chaser vs storm chaser, or even weather chaser.

The true storm chaser appreciates all storms, even non-severe storms. Hail and structure are almost as good as tornadoes. They will also chase other severe weather events such as blizzards.

The weather chaser is like myself, severe storms are great and that is what I love chasing the most, but will chase down any mildly interesting weather. They will photograph clouds, frost, fog,sunsets. I have even been know to chase down a rain shower after a month long drought.

Amen!

The type I would fit in I'll call "photojournalist chaser". Photojournalist chasers freeze spectacular moments in time, hoping for the truly rare...the thing that eludes us, for years, but does finally come.

I think there are a lot of us who, like wildlife photogs, chase storms for photojournalism, attempting to put a storm + a natural wonder in front of people.

Same deal so I guess I am a "Cruising Photojournalist Weather Chaser".

I can score a good chase without having a tube in my pictures. Tornadoes are only a single part of the wonderful world of weather. Those days that the tornado chasers would ignore and stay home for have added good shots to my photo collection.

I would put myself in the Cruiser Chaseing catagory. I started chaseing in 1997 close to home in North East Arkansas without anything other than my eyes during an outbreak on December 21st of that year and have been hooked on any type of sever weather form then on. Over the years, with a lot of self study, I have developed my forcasting abilities and feel confortable with my target area decisions and how to keep myself and whoever I'm chaseing with safe. I now chase with a laptop w/ GRLIII, GPS, Paper Maps, Wx Radio, Small TV for local wx bradcasts and iphone. Due to work, family and other obligations I get to the plains on a Chasecation during the late Spring most ever year. So most of my chaseing is still local. If there were a Chasecation Chaser catagory that is where I would be.

Cool thread Jeff.

Tour Chaser here. Haven't been around the community long, so I get a who the hell is this reaction most of the time.

How about Redneck Chasers ? Ones who drink beer while chasing. Have a farm/ranch truck, with two dogs in the back. Pulling up to chasers giving the famous redneck report, while chaser is doing a phoner. Insists on getting out and trying to lean half way into your chase ride to look at data with you. Giving directions using the "turn left after going over the second cattle guard" or "go down two sections then turn up". There is more that can be added to this, might be a good sub cat.

And yes there are "chasers" like this. I've met a couple. It's an ah sh*t moment when they pull up, cause you don't know how they will act. So far no crazies, just interest.

Well,i'm a hybrid.

Since I have developed a probe for studying tornadoes i fall into the science aspect.However,I also stream chases for local Indiana news stations.I also am a extreme chaser since I like to be in the heart of the most intense part of the storm.And if we decided to have a TV chasers category I fall into that as well.lol.

If I had to say though.I am deff. most on the extreme chaser side of things!

I am a "riding chaser". I am legally blind in my right eye, so I have been unable to drive. It affects my depth perception and being able to check my blind spots. Other than that, I have the other "chaser skills". Sure I am no meteorologist, but I have been able to pick apart targets, read the sky, etc.

As far as I know, the community at large does not have a dislike for "riding chasers". They can be pretty helpful to the chaser who is busy driving. Riding chasers can help with navigation, watching the sky, etc. because the driver has to constantly have their eyes on the road.

Just because you don't or cannot drive, does not make you any less of a "real" chaser than those that do drive. Sure we can be limited in some ways, but those that do know me know that I have a very big passion for storm chasing and watching the skies.

I'm certainly a Riding Chaser. I've been on tour with a person that I consider to be at the top of the field for the last five years, and I drove for the tour company this year. (PM me if you want to know the company).

There seems to be a lot of dislike for 'Riding chasers.' I would even say that there tends to be a lack of respect for Riding Chasers, as they are not considered 'real' chasers by the chaser community at large.

Have I misinterpreted people's feelings?

I chase with a tour group because I don't yet have the skills to go out on my own on a Plains storm. But I'm not sure if that makes me less of a 'chaser' because I don't select a target area myself. Your opinions are invited...

I guess I'll finally chime in. I don't think I totally fit any of Jeff's categories, but if forced to categorize, I'm probably about 2/3 cruise chaser and 1/3 veteran-techno chaser. Although I occasionally do head out on longer and/or multi-day chases, the majority of my chases are 300 miles or less. I don't have all the latest gadgets, but must say that having radar in the car really has improved my success and gotten me to the right place on several days when I either was a bit off on my forecast or got suckered by storms that did not turn out to be the storm of the day.

I would definitely fall into the apprentice chaser or "noob" category given that I'm just really getting going with storm chasing, and this is my first official post here. :) I'll mostly be chasing fairly locally (i.e. Ms, La, & Ar), though I'll be doing everything I can to get further out as often as I can. I'm also wanting to tag some hurricanes if/when they approach the northern GoM, hopefully that will happen this year. I'm definitely a believer in having all the tools necessary at my disposal. I'm running my laptop with GR3, GPS, backup paper maps, a weather radio, working on ham radio, etc. I am constantly reading and learning everything I can from anything and anyone possible. Luckily I have a job that allows me to do this all day long.

Half Cruise Chaser, half Extreme Chaser. Though I'm not that extreme cause I'm still worried about getting more dents in my Mazda or losing a windshield. Either way, I still like getting up close and personal. Though large hail and tornadoes aren't the only thing I chase. I've gone out through blizzards and even severe wind events with Drummond. Gotta say, if mother nature wants to go full force, we then I want to be there to feel it.

Well, I guess you can lump me into the EXTREME chaser by default. Although this year I found I am happy with a nice view of any tornado, regardless if I am 10 feet or 10 miles. There have been times where I could have focused my efforts and gotten much closer, but once I got my view I was happy setting my tripod up and sitting back and watching it.

I enjoy the cores, and experiencing the power of the storm. I PREFER to be up close and personal with the action but as I mentioned earlier I am happy with whatever view I can get. The Deer Trail tornadoes were some of my favorite because I was able to setup my tripod and sit in the back of my truck for over 10 minutes and just watch the storm/tornado and I managed to get great tripoded video.

I'd also consider myself a hybrid between veteran-techno and cruise chaser. Depends on the responsibilities of work and such. But I plan on making it more into one category than the other next year. I'll leave it up to the reader to figure out which one. :D

Back