DeLorme Street Atlas 2005

Okay, have done a little more research on the issue of county names appearing on the Street Atlast 2005 maps. The reason I didn't know about draw layers and the like was that I hadn't downloaded the Advanced File Management patch (free) that users lobbied for successfully a few months ago, so those options weren't visible to me until now.

http://www.delorme.com/support/streetatlas...&K=&P=8125&C=19

This is a good solution, but I wish that we could set those text labels to reduce to dots at a certain zoom level--a function that seems to be available in SA 2005 Plus, whatever that is. Otherwise, when zooming out with the County Name draw layer active, those labels will remain and make things very cluttered. I know it's easy to uncheck the draw layer, but it seems like it would be so simple to include the functionality to make them reduce automatically.

The most frustrating thing is that the ability to shrink those text labels SOUNDS as if it's available in all versions, because mention of it appears in my help file like this:

\"If you want to reduce the size of your text label to a point symbol at and above a certain zoom level, select the zoom level you want to reduce it to from the Reduce Size at Zoom drop-down list. \"

However such a drop down list does not exist in my version. Argh.

Does anybody who knows more about SA 2005 than I do have a better grasp of these issues?

Also, I'm wondering if somebody hasn't already done a draw layer with county names and made it available. I've been sifting through Delorme forums to find such a thing. At the same time, I've started my own draw layers as a way to experiment with the new functionality. I'll do north Texas, northwest Texas, and the Texas panhandle to start, then work my way north.

PS: I've posted these questions on the Delorme forum which seems very active and useful. Here's my post on their board:

http://forum.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?p=8815#8815

Bingo! Is the internet a great thing or what? LOL. Somebody has already created a draw layer for every county in the USA.

http://superhosts.net/~wq7a/

He has files with county names in both all-caps and regular capitalization, and a ReadMe explanation (particular to his application as a County Hunter). I have imported and played around with both files and they're well done. With the emphasis on DONE. I started Texas and was beginning to wonder, if I had put in an hour a day, if it would take until May to finish. LOL.

By the way, here's the full answer from the Delorme Forum moderator:

Originally posted by Dan Lawyer
See TerryW's post in this topic. He has a draw layer that you can download that will solve the problem. It's very well done.

SA2005 Plus has the ability to display county names, but it also has some problems in that the name display isn't consistent and all zoom levels, and the fonts don't resize. The above file doesn't resize the fonts, but as it's a draw layer, you can modify it to whatever you want.

Originally posted by Amos Magliocco+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Amos Magliocco)</div>
Bingo! Is the internet a great thing or what? LOL. Somebody has already created a draw layer for every county in the USA.

He has files with county names in both all-caps and regular capitalization, and a ReadMe explanation (particular to his application as a County Hunter). I have imported and played around with both files and they're well done. With the emphasis on DONE. I started Texas and was beginning to wonder, if I had put in an hour a day, if it would take until May to finish. LOL.

By the way, here's the full answer from the Delorme Forum moderator:

<!--QuoteBegin-Dan Lawyer
See TerryW's post in this topic. He has a draw layer that you can download that will solve the problem. It's very well done.

SA2005 Plus has the ability to display county names, but it also has some problems in that the name display isn't consistent and all zoom levels, and the fonts don't resize. The above file doesn't resize the fonts, but as it's a draw layer, you can modify it to whatever you want.
[/b]

Excellent! It does look like it would have taken awhile, based on the excel file length. Thanks for you good searching ability, and providing the link!

I can't get the link above to work, and also need this county overlay. Anyone have another link or perhaps willing to send me the file?

Thanks.

Good find Amos. I still don't really find the county names to be quite ideal especially considering the faint color of the boundaries. As a possible option, I set up Topo with "custom map features" to only show that file with county names, the county borders, and state borders.

Since I can run both simultaneously now that the GPS is USB, I will try this with Street Atlas running normally, and with Topo showing my position on a "custom county map". Then, whoever is running the laptop may find it a useful tool.

No problem, guys. I'm glad we found it instead of trying to build it ourselves. I haven't had a problem yet with the county border markings but then I haven't used it in an actual chase yet.

Back