Delorme Earthmate GPS

Okay, I am stumped!

I have Delorme Street Atlas 2007, the USB Earthmate GPS, and a variety of other GPS-enabled programs. Street Atlas sees the GPS with no problems, however, I have been trying like hell to use the GPS with other software apps such as StormLab, GRLevel3, etc.

In the recent newbie equipment thread, there were two suggestions to allow your USB to be used over multiple "virtual" ports so it could be used in mltiple programs. I downloaded both the suggested Delorme Serial Emulator and the Franson GPSGate 2.5; neither program can see the USB Earthmate.

I have read and reread the steps to do this and I still am having absolutely no luck.

I also have a Holux Bluetooth GPS receiver which my laptop sees, but none of the programs (Street Atlas included) see it either.

Any suggestions or assistance would be more than welcome!

To use the Delorme Earthmate with other apps, you have to install the GPS software that cem with it and select the standard NMEA option to use with other apps.
To use it with several apps at one time, you need software like GPSGate to split it into several vertual ports.

I have a Holux USB GPS and I had to manually set the baud rate and port for Delorme and other apps to see it. Once set, I had no problem with it.

Tony,

I think (for whatever reason) DeLorme has its own proprietary data string -- at least that's the way it used to be. Original models didn't even have the option to put out the NMEA standard, rendering the device incompatible with anything else.

As cedwards states, a newer Earthmate should have come with software to create virtual device drivers and allow you to output NMEA sentences. I think you'll still need then GPSGate to spread that output across the other software programs.

Evan

Thanks for the advice! I got the USB Earthmate to work with Earthmate's download! Tested it out this afternoon and it worked just fine! I did have to send the unit to another port, but all's good now!

Thanks for the help!

Tony-

Are you using the yellow hockey puck, xx-20 something? I have one to go with Topo USA and it stinks. I just bought the DeLorme PN-20 handheld gizmo as a standalone device and it works great, which restored my faith in DeLorme's GPS equipment, but that USB GPS gizmo works like crap...barely finds any birds, drops signal quite a bit etc..

Tony-

Are you using the yellow hockey puck, xx-20 something? I have one to go with Topo USA and it stinks. I just bought the DeLorme PN-20 handheld gizmo as a standalone device and it works great, which restored my faith in DeLorme's GPS equipment, but that USB GPS gizmo works like crap...barely finds any birds, drops signal quite a bit etc..

Maybe you have a bad one. We have two of these between my chase partner and I and they usually work really good. One did go out and have to be replaced.

Yeah, my Yellow Hockey puck does quite well... the Bluetooth Holux I have would be great if the programs would see it, but it works very wlel with my PDA, so I'm happy in that respect. Otherwise the yellow guy has been nothing but great. Just has an issue of dropping the GPS signal when I transmit on the HAM; beyond that, its a gem!

I am having the same problem as Tony was (with GR3). I have downloaded the Serial Emulator by Delorme, and it still won't work. I have a lock on the emulator. I've tried different ports, and set the NMEA to all (com 2, 4, 5). Any suggestions? How long does this usually take? It just keeps saying waiting for data...

Edit: I got it to work by switching the COM ports around.

Last edited by a moderator:
This topic has been an ongoing frustation for me as well. Trying to get SN and GRL3 to get and hold on to the signal from the emulator has been nearly impossible for me for the past 2 years since I've gotten Vista.

Back