Deflector shields? LOL

I think the "Norman Bubble" is a mental condition suffered by weather weenies that crave and expect extreme/unusual weather. The problem with extreme/unusual weather is that it is unusual.

Here is a question for the residents of Norman or other “Bubble†cities. What were the most extreme & unusual weather related events you have experienced there?

During my 4 or so years living in Norman I experience the following:
Observed cars floating in flooded roadways
Two separate microbursts
Golf ball hail
100+ degrees during an overnight heatburst
Snow storm with 8 inches snow
10 straight days over 100 degrees

Not half bad for a “Bubble†city. If I really sat down and thought about it, I’m sure I could come up with more.

I know the next question. If the “Norman Bubble†isn’t real, then why don’t tornadoes ever hit Norman when Moore gets hit all the time. My answer is the dartboard theory. If you are blindfolded and throw 500 darts at a map (Oklahoma), you will find some clusters of darts and other holes without any darts. As of late, Norman has resided in one these holes. The fact is, Norman has been hit by strong to violent tornadoes before and it will be hit again.

Norman is the third largest city in Oklahoma. It is not a question of if Norman will be hit by a significant tornado, it’s a question of when Norman will be hit by a significant tornado.

Scott Currens
www.violentplains.com

Omaha could have a deflector shield for tornadoes. LOL

Omaha which is in Douglas County, Nebraska.

Douglas County has not seen a tornado according to NCDC Storm Events
04/29/1991

2 months of data is missing, but I believe no tornadoes occur

Omaha:
CIty Population: 390,007
Land area: 115.7 square miles

Douglas County:
County Population: 463,585
Land area: 331.0 sq. mi.

Mike

Didn't Waco, TX once have a "bubble" over it?[/quote]

The bubble moved a little to the south and is now over the Belton/Killeen area. Even the 'Jarrell' tornado system became just a funnel cloud as it crossed HWY-190 between Belton and Killeen. It rapidly became an F-5 after crossing the area.

I have been watching this for a number of years and we now refer to it as the 'Bell County Split'. The county has the Balcones Fault running through it (IH-35 follows it) along with two large lakes. Fort Hood is in the western part of the county with its large expanse of cleared land used for military training.

I also refer to my place, just west of Belton, as 'The Metorological Center of Texas' since cloud systems coming from all directions converge and dissappear here.

I think there is probably a synoptic scale bubble, I mean a really big one over this whole region. The only thing it doesn't prevent is sandstorms. It does seem to weaken slightly to allow crappy thunderstorms to develop on rare occasions during the winter. LOL :lol:

Omaha could have a deflector shield for tornadoes. LOL

Omaha which is in Douglas County, Nebraska.

Douglas County has not seen a tornado according to NCDC Storm Events
04/29/1991

Mike

Omaha definately doesn't have a historical "deflector" as the city was crushed by two of the costliest tornadoes of the 20th century.

Since 1976, Douglas and Sarpy counties do show a local minima for tornado frequency. I posted this plot somewhere on ST before. Perhaps northern MO has a tornado deflector.
1976F0.gif

Back