Deflector shields? LOL

The bubble has been disproven countless numbers of times... When you look at weather as a whole, instead of where you live, you'll see that every has an equal chance in your area.

This is true, but when I become distressed with how I can not get equivalent thunderstorms as OK, or KS then I start saying that we have a bubble around us....

This is true, but when I become distressed with how I can not get equivalent thunderstorms as OK, or KS then I start saying that we have a bubble around us....

I'd call that living in the wrong part of the country 8)

Aaron

The bubble has been disproven countless numbers of times... When you look at weather as a whole, instead of where you live, you'll see that every has an equal chance in your area.

Actually, TN gets more thunderstorm days than OK/KS/TX does on average per year -- the big difference is the level of severity. On the plains, you'll often have more amplified systems -- while further towards the southeast states, you'll notice there is often more of a barotropic environment, and moreso than none... Weaker fronts and troughs.

Are you sure we get more thunderstorms? If this is true I was not aware of it. Since I live very near the mountains storms split likely when they come over our region, and then die down....and usually in the Fall setups with squall lines, the line will break and weaken right as it gets near the Cumberland Plateau, coming from the west. Our thunderstorms are not very good at all, but we are certainly in more of a barotropic environment.

Just wanted to point out that the OUN deflector shields DO exist - as evidenced by this latest 88D image from TLX:

NormanDryHole.gif

:wink:

KR

Originally posted by nickgrillo+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nickgrillo)</div>
Originally posted by Andrew Khan@
<!--QuoteBegin-rdale

Actually, TN gets more thunderstorm days than OK/KS/TX does on average per year -- the big difference is the level of severity. On the plains, you'll often have more amplified systems -- while further towards the southeast states, you'll notice there is often more of a barotropic environment, and moreso than none... Weaker fronts and troughs.[/b]

Nick,

Middle and western TN averages 55-60 thunderstorm days per year, while much of central and eastern OK/KS average 45-50 thunderstorm days per year. Severe storms are more common in OK/KS compared to TN, but I don't think the "barotropic environment" across SE states explains the variability. Synoptic systems are just as baroclinic across the TN valley as the are the southern Plains, with the exception of a few cold air damming events which are confined to the low levels in the Plains. Another way to consider this would be the intensity of the wind fields, which are proportional to the "baroclinity" of the environment. I'm not aware of any tendency for stronger flow over OK versus TN.

However, OK/KS are adjacent to a source region for steep mid level lapse rates, while TN is not. In other words, I think you can argue that the OK/KS storms are more intense (on average) due to steeper lapse rates and larger CAPE. The same geography that contributes to more intense storms in the Plains also contributes to a more moist (and more thunder) climate across the MS valley.

Rich T.

All I can say is: Winnebago County, IL Dome of Protection! I'm sure Aaron can chime in about this one... :wink:

N. IL is overdue for something to get through this dome sooner or later.

Cape Cod, while not technically part of Tornado Alley, has its own shield, too. It's called Cape Cod Bay.

I love to watch as monstrous sqall lines with 55+ dbZ cores come barreling across Massachusetts and over Boston. Then, as soon as they see water, they scream loudly and shrivel up like how a grape in a salty desert with antiperspirant smeared on it shrivels up into a raisin.

That is, the grape has the antiperspirant on it, not the desert.

It never used to seem like we had a "shield," but the last two years have seemed that way around northern Illinois. It looks like we're going to finish 2005 about 20 inches short of precipitation. I'm not sure if this will be our driest year ever, but if not it will be close! :cry:

Back