Daylight Saving

Yay! Daylight Saving time. Here in Baghdad, we also change on April 1st. Now I won't have to walk to dinner wearing my reflective belt. What a stupid rule, the 4ID is forgetting even though this base doesn't get hit, it's still a freaking combat zone. Only a month left though. :D :D

Yay! Daylight Saving time. Here in Baghdad, we also change on April 1st. Now I won't have to walk to dinner wearing my reflective belt. What a stupid rule, the 4ID is forgetting even though this base doesn't get hit, it's still a freaking combat zone. Only a month left though. :D :D
[/b]

Now thats the military for ya. Camoflage and reflective vests!! :rolleyes: Next thing will be M-16's with blanks.

What's even worse is that in Arizona some of the reservations do use daylight savings :blink: . It all those darn phoenians(sp) and southern desert people who hijaked the state's time because they dont want that extra hour of sun in the evening in the summer, when say people in flagstaff would probably enjoy it.

P.S. I just pick on those people from phoenix because my girlfriend is from there.

That's why we Arizonans don't use DST. The last thing in Hades we need is another hour of daytime heating! :)
[/b]

B) LMAO....So cool (pun intended) and hilarious of a statement.

However, at risk of being the technical point geek, any ideas whether to DST or not to DST does not change the fact the amount of daylight remains the same for a given season. In other words, amount of daylight time ( a relative measurement) between sunrise and sunset remains the same with or without DST; therefore, basically boils down to one's preferences. Most Arizonians (Native Americans on reservations excluded) choose to start the oven an hour earlier than the rest of us for the perception the baking ends an hour sooner :D ; cannot say I blame them. With regards to storm chasing - Whether storms fire at 4:00PM and sunset is 8:00PM (the ST scenario) or storms fire at 5:00PM and sunset is 9:00PM (DST scenario), same 4 hours of daylight chase opportunity; guess much of one's preferences would be based upon when they could start that day's chase and/or when they wish to retire for the night.

My preference, since I am not much of an early morning person (sunrise photography is tough at 6:00AM or sooner), is for as much as possible daylight time in the evening; I wish we could keep DST year round (dark at 8:00AM in the Winter does not bother me at all). Anyway, always a fun subject of discussion.

I just wish they'd standardize the clock change weekend around the world.

I don't think I can stand another week of my mom in Scotland calling me at 6am! :wacko: That - and she keeps logging onto messenger at the wrong time to talk to me!

Arrghhh!

ROFL.

K.

...since I am not much of an early morning person (sunrise photography is tough at 6:00AM or sooner), is for as much as possible daylight time in the evening...[/b]
Although I'm not picking on "T. W." specifically since I've seen others make the same comment...

But DST just forces you to get up an hour earlier, thus making you more of a morning person afterall. Think about it. DST could just as easily be accomplished if our society as a whole just shifted their activities one hour earlier in the day (get up, go to work, eat lunch, go home, eater dinner, go to bed, all one hour earlier). If we could all work 7 to 4 in the summer, without resetting our clocks, accomplishes pretty much the same thing.

greg

What's even worse is that in Arizona some of the reservations do use daylight savings :blink: . It all those darn phoenians(sp) and southern desert people who hijaked the state's time because they dont want that extra hour of sun in the evening in the summer, when say people in flagstaff would probably enjoy it.

P.S. I just pick on those people from phoenix because my girlfriend is from there.
[/b]

Phoenicians :)

Just to make it more fun, the Navajo Nation in the northern third of the state does participate in Daylight Saving Time, while the Hopi tribe (a different tribe whose lands are located within and surrounded by Navajo land) does not participate in Daylight Saving Time. LOL

I think the Navajo do it because their lands extend into three states.

Desert people, yes we want night to fall as quickly as possible May-Sept. We become nocturnal during the summer just like every other critter. It's kind of funny to see people start running their errands around 8pm. Night is always better during the summer heat, quite nice actually. All kinds of critters are out & about, flowers are blooming (a lot of desert flowers bloom at night), wildlife is hunting, people are in their boats fishing, and chasers are chasing =)

Full moon hike anyone?

I start my job in Scottsdale in June (great timing, huh ;) ). I'm going to be thrown off by the no daylight savings time thing. I was already thrown off when I made some calls there before daylight savings time ended in the fall.

Although I'm not picking on "T. W." specifically since I've seen others make the same comment...

But DST just forces you to get up an hour earlier, thus making you more of a morning person afterall. Think about it. DST could just as easily be accomplished if our society as a whole just shifted their activities one hour earlier in the day (get up, go to work, eat lunch, go home, eater dinner, go to bed, all one hour earlier). If we could all work 7 to 4 in the summer, without resetting our clocks, accomplishes pretty much the same thing.
greg
[/b]

I agree with Greg's point about reschedule our work habits to achieve the same effect, just that I am for choosing more daylight in evening and deal with an 8 to 5 work routine all year that includes dark mornings in Winter. The other point is valid if ST is the benchmark for comparison; however, my point actually is to make DST the ST year round which then my logic of later sunrises and more evening light holds completely true. Just for other side of debate, related to relative comparisons, one could say going from DST to ST in Autumn allows for being less of a morning person as one gets up virtually an hour later. In any case, the flip-flop virtual time displacement goes away by only using one method all year. Therefore, at least portions of Arizona have that benefit; just not my preference of which clock schedule to use all year.

To DST or not to DST, that is the virtual question....;-)

Just to make it more fun, the Navajo Nation in the northern third of the state does participate in Daylight Saving Time, while the Hopi tribe (a different tribe whose lands are located within and surrounded by Navajo land) does not participate in Daylight Saving Time. LOL

I think the Navajo do it because their lands extend into three states.[/b]

Kind of strange feeling when visiting those areas during DST period because the time changes in relatively short distances, especially if one goes from Navajo-Hopi-Navajo lands. Messes a bit with the mind when typically one is used to time change only occuring after traveling east-west several hundred miles. And then is really fun during late afternoon or early evening keeping track in order to know when places are open or closed; just slight challenge to planning. I have been there numerous times, so am somewhat used to the ideosynchrosies; definitely sympathize for the novice visitor. Yes, is definite the Navajo use DST simply due to reservation lands existing in 3 states.

I start my job in Scottsdale in June (great timing, huh ;) ). I'm going to be thrown off by the no daylight savings time thing. I was already thrown off when I made some calls there before daylight savings time ended in the fall.
[/b]

I like not having to change my clocks, you'll get used to it.

Welcome to Scottsdale. You'll love it here. However, June is the hottest month. It has to be hot because it helps with the mechanism for the monsoon in July. Get through June by staying indoors and going out at night. You're right in time for lightning season! :)

[/b]

I echo your sentiments John. I am moving to Tucson in June to start a new job and beginning next week it will be even more difficult for me to remember which time it is out there to get in touch with people. I already ran into problems attempting to schedule a flight back from a conference there next month - no easy way to get back to OKC without wasting most of your day. With my parents living in Atlanta now it will seem like we live a continent away separated by 3 time zones. Despite the heat in June I am hoping that the housing market slows so I can have some bargaining leverage in the housing hunt - wish I would've been there a few years ago before the sky rocket in property values! Now if only I can bag a couple tornadoes here in Oklahoma before the move, but atleast the monsoon season will be a nice welcome to the desert southwest.

And next year, we won't have to wait until April to spring forward. March 11th I believe?

Now, we could campaign that an earlier spring forward followed by a later fall back in November will only exacerbate global warming conditions :lol:

Back