David Drummond is very fine, here's the thread

OK, I have posted some video now. Both low and higher resolution. The higher is the way to go if you really want to see it as the lower is very small for slow dialup, but doesn't look great:

Chasers hit by tornado:

23 megs :: 3:15 runtime :: streaming a MUST see!
Video has since been removed

Damage video from Hallam, NE in the first hours after the tornado hit:

15 megs :: 2:06 :: streaming:
Video has since been removed

will be posting some more B roll stuff later....

...edited to remove low rez links that have been removed from the server.

Man, you are the man (and woman), for being able to stay calm during that. Surprising nothing worse happened through that ordeal...just about what you'd see out of a movie; my face was about 5 inches from the computer screen watching.

By the looks of the damage, they'll be cleaning up for a while too...I hope the families and people living there will be okay. Looks like a sobering experience for all involved.

Here is some video of the van. It's not the greatest quality and is 6 megs but if you have an ambitious connection you might check it out. I was trying to show how much of the inside of the van was coated with "stuff". For those of you that know me I am pretty anal about keeping it spotless on the inside. It is anything but that right now.

*Video has since been removed*

right click and "save as" is probably the best option to get it. :shock:

Originally posted by David Drummond
For those of you that know me I am pretty anal about keeping it spotless on the inside. It is anything but that right now.

Yea unfortunately I do know.....nudge nudge jab jab. I wasn't able to d/l the video....not sure if its my problem or not but from what you said earlier its bad. The one nice thing about a mess that bad is that you KNOW the outcome will look MUCH better than the initial condition. It will be rewarding to clean the van.....or watch me clean the van. I still owe you big time for setting up my Tahoe and would be more than happy to help clean the van!!

Good luck making it back to Texas

Graham Butler, wx5svr
[email protected]

David,
I think you need to have a vehicle detail party just to get all the "stuff" out of there after looking at those videos. Glad you are ok! You definitely know how to get into don't you!

Hey, I hear you two and the van will be on Good Morning America live from Hallam tomorrow......any truth? If so, I am taping it!

-George

Thank god both of you (David and Mel) are alright. This is the first I have heard of this, logging in to check what was up on the forum. I had to reread twice, didn't think you could be "hit" twice in such a short time. Talk about luck David!!
What y'all did to stop and render aid was admirable. Seems we just had a thread on this not long ago, now it happens. The respect for human life over sensationalism (media) that y'all did is so awesome. Sure shows what kind of person (s) you are, very upstanding and commendable in my book. :thumbleft:

Originally posted by Graham Butler+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Graham Butler)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-David Drummond
For those of you that know me I am pretty anal about keeping it spotless on the inside. It is anything but that right now.

Yea unfortunately I do know.....nudge nudge jab jab. I wasn't able to d/l the video....not sure if its my problem or not but from what you said earlier its bad. The one nice thing about a mess that bad is that you KNOW the outcome will look MUCH better than the initial condition. It will be rewarding to clean the van.....or watch me clean the van. I still owe you big time for setting up my Tahoe and would be more than happy to help clean the van!!

Good luck making it back to Texas

Graham Butler, wx5svr
[email protected][/b]

Heh, if I was in Texas I would LET you wash it right now. That is going to be a daylong job just cleaning out the inside.

Yes George, it is true, I have been requested to come out to Hallam in the morning to do a live interview. They also wanted the van in it's current condition so I don't know if they are going to show it or what.

Now the challenge is, get out there and do that in the morning, get back and get glass replaced, get the axle fixed, and hopefully still have time to chase tomorrow here in NE/IA hopefully.

Just a note to I really wanted to thank Tom Tackett for nowcasting and Jay McCoy who threw us some info in a pinch there during our little ordeal. We are also extremely appreciative to all who have contacted us to make sure we are ok and whatever. Many of you have sent me private emails and I will get around to answering them as soon as I can. Just wanted to acknowledge that I was receiving them :wink:

Ouch...that is pretty damaged and messy. In the one reflection of the glass on the left side of the van, I noticed you had the camera on your shoulder. Is it a TV-type one, or a more advanced Sony model?

David, do you have carbon fiber hood and top on your van or is it just painted that way? Also, was the front passenger side window busted out along with the back window?

WOW!

Was that an anti-cyclonic tornado??

Where exactly was this video taken?

It's a good thing you guys weren't hurt.

Something tells me i should just start following you around, david. Im glad to hear that you are ok, and it makes me proud to be a part of the chase community when people like you take time off from taping destruction to lend a helping hand to people you've never seen before.

In the first video when you are driving through the large blowing debris, i keep noticing orange flashes. Am I correct in assuming that is just your lightbar reflecting off the dirt?

Glad to hear that you are both ok!!

-Ben

Wow, glad to hear you two are okay! :shock: What an experience! I seen the video on TWC earlier but didn't know who it was. I do now!

Originally posted by Mason Dixon
David, do you have carbon fiber hood and top on your van or is it just painted that way? Also, was the front passenger side window busted out along with the back window?
its sprayed with bedliner they put in pickups.. Yes the front passenger side window exploded about 3 inches from my face.... Thank God it exploded outwards and not inwards or it would have got me right in the face.

Back