David Drummond is very fine, here's the thread

I read somewhere that you got hit by a multivortex tornado :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: and got your vehicle destroyed.

I really hope everything is fine, and you can answer me personally.
Sincerely,

PS: I'm sorry I cannot really find were I read that, but I'm sure it was his name and another person who also write in this forum. If I made a mistake I apologize in advance :)

Certainly sounds like this is going to be Dave's year to remember! :)

We saw you guys pass by last night after we broke off the action. Hope you're ok.

Regards,

Mike

Just saw the vid on TWC (after getting back from the incredible night in NE) :shock:
David, glad you guys made it through ok!! No more adventures this season, please... :wink:

Angie

Chase with me anytime!!

David (and Mel),

Glad to hear that both of you are OK after that too-close encounter with the tornado in Clay County. :D Was the wind speed on that wind gauge the actual wind speed or was that how fast you were going?? :lol: :lol:

Hey, this is for all of those you are spooked by David's bad luck so far this chase season. David (and Mel) can chase with me anytime. If anything turns a chase sour, it's a busted day. I would much rather have lightning hitting the ground on both sides of the road and be watching a funnel dropping down on the road in front with these two chasers than anybody else.

Perhaps David can have a couple of battle emblems on his van, like they did in WW II with bomber planes. He can put a lightning bolt and a tornado sticker by his door, wear a flying cap & goggles, stick his head out of the window and give us a thumbs-up!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: 8) LJK.

All I can say after yesterday is WOW! I will be posting multiple video clips here shortly as I am working on encoding them right now. As some of you have heard, we had a multi vortex tornado develop right on top of us. We had just seen a rain wrapped tornado west of there near the community of Ayr just south of Hastings, NE. We were heading east staying ahead of the storm when it changed it's trajectory and one of the largest RFD sweeps I have ever seen came out and around us to the east. This took down some large trees over the road which REALLY slowed our progress, well at this point our escape to the east. We finally snaked our way through the downed trees and bailed east as quick as we could trying to get east of that RFD and out of the bear's cage. We spotted a fire truck and pulled up to tell them about the trees on the road when the tornado developed right on top of us. When you see the video that is where it begins. Multiple vortices were forming and spinning all around us! Before we started moving we registered a speed max on the wxstation at 107.8 mph effectively putting that in the F1 range at least during that time.

I just floored it trying to go the only way we could....east. I had the accelerator completely floored and was only moving at about 10 mph for a little while. The van was trying to lift up in the back as this is the lightest end of the van and was pushing the back sideways. I looked in the rear view and saw the fire truck trying to turn around and I could swear I saw it start to turn over as the dust between us blocked out any further view. I have yet to confirm if that happened but we called nowcaster Tom Tackett who was able to call the NWS who in turn contacted the Clay County sheriff's dept who THEN called us trying to find where he was so they could check on him.

As we ran for our lives east at this point, we came through the community of Fairfield on HWY 74 where you hear the siren's going off in the video. We were trying to get far enough east of everything to stop and assess the damage and we finally did near the community of Strang. Some locals saw us having difficulty and stopped to help put plastic on the windows. This proved to be a futile attempt in the wind and they took us in to their community into a steel barn where we could get the plastic on. They then took us over to a little resteraunt they had there and was going to let us use their internet connection and offered us food and drink. I walked out to the van to get a cable to see a rapidly rotating wall cloud almost overhead and we told them all to head for shelters while we bailed out south as they were scrambling.

We eventually ended up very near Hallam, NE where we heard the call go out for any and all help that could come. Being past trained as a First Responder and carrying a full trauma kit we made a quick run over there where what we saw was nothing more than completely amazing.

The state police let us in and sent us up the road to Hallam where as we followed a state police car in weaving through all manner of debris ranging from LARGE hay bails to power lines to structure materials.

Arriving at the intersection just east of the town where the first responding help to the area was setting up. A member of the Southwest Fire Dept came over and asked if we were Storm Chasers and replied yes and they said they had heard of another tornado strike just to the south at the community of Cortland and requested that we head south down there and see what, if anything, had happened.

Heading south we passed tremendous damage along the road as well as all manner of materials in the road. We finally came upon a spot that water was rapidly running across and there was tremendous debris. Right across from there was a couple of houses completely destroyed and we needed to get across that. A fire truck had come up behind us and they decided to go through it. After they did we snaked though. I managed to severely damage a CV axle on some debris getting through that. We found one family that had actually left Hallam and came to that location to take shelter and had been in the basement. The crew from fire truck that went in with us asked us if we could transport them back to the triage station that had been set up at the Stuart Station Power Plant just north of Hallam. At this point it was time to turn the cameras off and start helping. We threw everything that was in the seats in the back and loaded up the whole family, mom and dad and 3 kids and we headed back through the mess to the triage center. The mom was wanting a cigarette really bad so my ride along gave her the whole pack she had and we also gave them some drinks out of our cooler. They were pretty scared that there were more tornadoes in the area, so while we were transporting them I called Tom and got an update to find out that everything had moved east of the area much to their relief of course.

When we arrived there the crews there took on the family where the mom hugged us and kissed us before we parted, and then the medical crews got concerned about us after finding out about our tornado encounter. They had us check in to triage for records and then we headed back to Hallam. At this point our help was no longer needed so I was back to shooting video again. I will also post some videos of this stuff. I won't be posting video of the family we transported. I felt that not only would running the cameras at that point been seriously disrespectful but helping them FAR took the priority at the time. She did invite us to come back out today and she would give us a tour of her house so I gave her contact info as I am sure no one is getting in there at this point.

Right now due to damage to the van I am basically stuck on Nebraska. Monday will be trying to get windows replaced, half of the soil and vegetation of Nebraska cleaned out of the van and get the CV axle repaired.

Stay tuned......

David,

Glad to hear you're okay.. its been a very memorable season for you.. glad to hear you made it through okay.. quite amazing that only the van took injuries. Stay safe out there, dude!

David and Mel,

First of all I am very happy that you two are alright and that you got great video in the process of having th crap scared out of you. David I hope the van is able to be fixed without tons of money (and time)!! You are more than welcome to chase with me in my vehicle until yours is back up and running. Your last two incidents makes me wonder whats next? Volleyball sized hail??

I think that this is an great example of why storm chasers should have at least a basic knowledge of first aid and even better first responder training. You never know when your help may be needed in these small rural towns with little or no Fire/EMS dept. I think what you two did by responding to the call for help was very admirable especially after your own ordeal. Even though the family did not require any immediate medical attention you two were able to calm them down and give them a sense of comfort.

You two take care and good luck with the van repairs. If you need anything you know my phone number.

Graham Butler, wx5svr
[email protected]

Originally posted by j_r_hehnly
Glad to hear you are OK, too.
Seems a person would have had a pretty good chase season just keeping a camera on David!

That's why next year I'm gonna just follow David around with the camera rolling the whole time.

In all serious, glad you came out ok David. It's amazing how even after your own ordeal you stopped and helped those in need and assisted emergency workers. Not only are you respected by the chase community for what you did, but chasers like you shows the public & emergency personel's that we're not a bad group of people who just enjoys to see destruction - which is never the case.

It's very important for all that chases to know basic First Aid, I'm ashame to admit that I know nothing about first aid, but I'm going to change that and look into some First Aid classes and contact the Red Cross and find out of any first aid classes I can take.

Wow, David, that is some story of events there. Like everyone else, glad to know you're doing okay. That one part sounded familiar; a steel barn in a small community to repair stuff? Sounds like all you needed was an old drive-in and The Shining playing there...heh. Good to know you're ok, dude.

And Ketcham, exactly how I feel. I was just looking at medical kits lastnight before I went to bed due to the reports and events that happened yesterday and lastnight. Gotta get one of those and a first-aid book (or take a class), and learn it. Never know when you might have to help.

I had someonecall and talk with the Fairfield Fire Dept. That is where the fire truck in the video of us getting hit was from, and this is also the community up the road that had the sirens blaring.

They report that he DID manage to drive the fire truck out of it although it blew them around quite a bit and they were naturally pretty shook up!

Back