Crazy weather!

What I find interesting was the fact that Alaska was having many days of >90F temps this summer, while here in Detroit, we only hit 90F a few times, with mostly very cool conditions (record setting at times)...

Colin: When do you guys usually have your first snowstorm? To me 2 weeks before fall seems early, but of course, I'm quite a bit further south...

I know, Alaska had more 90 degree temps than Chicago. :shock:

What I find interesting was the fact that Alaska was having many days of >90F temps this summer, while here in Detroit, we only hit 90F a few times, with mostly very cool conditions (record setting at times)...

Colin: When do you guys usually have your first snowstorm? To me 2 weeks before fall seems early, but of course, I'm quite a bit further south...

I know, Alaska had more 90 degree temps than Chicago. :shock:

Get this...

The 12Z GFS paints a few flakes of snowfall across much of WI on Saturday, spreading across lower MI Sunday... Nothing major of course, and pretty far out... But if it were to occur, ALOT of records would be broken!

23bb2fcd2b9b444eafcbeb8957e75d58.gif

Great Lakes 84h ETS storm

LOL...

Anyone check out the latest 00Z ETA at 84HRS? Looks like a decent storm... of snow across northwestern WI. SFC temps in the low 30's with 850mb temps dropping below -5C... ETA precip algorithm outputs snow with 0.50" of QPF...

Just something interesting...

Indeed….That looks like an interesting system Rob. I wonder if N WI might get a little lake effect snow from Superior if PBL stays cold enough after stratiform cloud-precip system clears. Water temp-850 mb temp difference should support shallow convection and wet snow or rain showers if ETA guidance does verify. Early snow events on warm ground are always interesting....snow may only survive on grass and leaves. Doubt the snow will accumulate on bare dirt and tarmac.

I would like to get some of this action, but after the 70 Knot 500 mb jet progged by the ETA rounds the base of short wave, I fear the short will lift out to the NE, leaving myself disappointed. Dare I hope for some weak T-storms as cold front approaches? :roll:

Here's another crazy weather episode from Denver...

This morning, at about 6:30am.. LIGHTNING! Yes, lightning and rain passed over the metro area first thing this morning. With a rising sun in the background and occasional CG's in the foreground, it was quite a sight. Only a couple times since I moved out here in '98 have I seen lightning at this time in the morning.. this also tacks on another storm to go this late.. tomorrow's the first day of October, and storms possible then, too... not severe, mind you, but the rare occurance of storms this late in the year continues...

I am always suffering from a lack of storms up here. Leadville has the most boring weather. We don't get any severe storms, no hurricanes, and even our winters are boring. We never get any big snow storms. During the summer it is amazing if we get rice sized hail. Nothing interesting ever happens up here. :(

Gah! First frost of the year tonight! Brrr!

Yeh, we got our first taste of winter last night here in central Nebraska. KGRI got down to 32F and here (about 3 miles south of KGRI) we got down to 30F. Now we just have to wiat on the snow. :-(

Regards,

Mike

Hehehe.. and now add tornadoes in Denver in October! I don't think it gets any weirder than that! *LOL* :lol:

Later post: Channel 9 News in Denver reports that the tornadoes that hit the area tonight were the first October tornadoes in Colorado since October 17, 1971, and that was way out near the Kansas/Nebraska border in Wray, Colorado in the far eastern part of the state.

EDIT: Did some digging myself and saw that NCDC has a few tornadoes listed for October; 19 I found (may be a couple more I skimmed over). Here are the few October Tornadoes listed since then...

October 15, 1980 in Boulder County;Rated F-2
October 5, 1994: Five tornadoes touched down in NE Colo; rated F-0 (3), F-1 (1), F-2 (1)
October 8, 1997: Four different F-0s
October 10, 1997: An F-2 in Creede
October 11, 1997: Eight different tornadoes in Eastern Colo; F-0 (4), F-1 (4)

19 tornadoes since 1980 in October...

I sent the news station an email with this information just so they could update the story. 8) (and they even thanked me by name on the air 8) :) :D )

Leadville even had some interesting weather. We had thunder today and there was hard pea size hail at the high school. For Leadville pea size hail is impressive in the summer no less October. :D

25 years ago (Oct. 9) the D.C. area had its earliest measurable snowfall. I was working at NMC (now NCEP) at the time and they had two inches of slush. They decided to have a fire drill in the midst of all this. Brrrrr!!!!

Chuck

Back