Comments on a bust

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Dick McGowan
Yeah, and I've never heard of you until yesterday. FUNNY how these creatures come from under the rocks, and tuck their tails and run the other way, when someone stands up for themselves. :wink:

Kevin seems to pop in only when there is controversy..note*(read all his posts) Dont let him get to you. And Keil.. Im like you I havent ever heard of him before.. Hey Keil welcome to Stormtrack ;) lol

Fred

Being a quiet and mostly unknown chaser, I try to keep out of the Great Debates, but this one has gone too far...time for me to jump in the fray.

Some of the initial posts from the "I stayed home" crowd came across rather acidic and high-and-mighty, whether or not that was the intent. However, some of those who chose to go out replied with posts that only inflamed the situation. I think its time we all took a deep breath backed away from this. Guess what -- at this point, both sides are wrong.

Guess what else? We all suck at forecasting, some to a lesser degree than others. When it comes right down to it, not one person on this board can offer anything more than an educated guess. Think about all of the different reasons people have for chasing...it is unreasonable to think that different methods of forecasting don't exist too. Some people start forecasting by targeting model bullsyes. I did that too, and to some extent, I still do. If that's what works, fine.

There's nothing wrong with critiquing another's forecast. In fact, it is a great idea. How else are we to learn? Criticism without instruction, however, is just plain rude. If anyone has a problem with the lack of skill expressed in forecasts, then make your own, offering your own knowledge and experience to teach others. By the same token, if all you do is look where the CAPE and helicity bullseyes are, make an honest attempt to learn. You'll only be helping yourself.

Why is it that the longest threads are the ones where everyone is at each other's throats? We should all be ashamed of ourselves.

Ben

Originally posted by Tony Laubach+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tony Laubach)</div>
With an attitude like that, why are you on this board?[/b]

Originally posted by fplowman@
<!--QuoteBegin-Dick McGowan

Yeah, and I've never heard of you until yesterday. FUNNY how these creatures come from under the rocks, and tuck their tails and run the other way, when someone stands up for themselves. :wink:

Kevin seems to pop in only when there is controversy..note*(read all his posts) Dont let him get to you. And Keil.. Im like you I havent ever heard of him before.. Hey Keil welcome to Stormtrack ;) lol

Fred

OK I wasn't going to post on this thread although a lot of points raised by the beginner were interesting and agreeable.....but seeing it descend into personal insults has just jarred me to be vocal. One has to wonder where the mods are - considering they put great emphasis on attacking the SUBJECT not the PERSON. But seeing as at least one moderator has already contributed on here, I guess I can forget about that.......

I am totally flabbergasted by the lack of respect to ANYBODY people on this thread are showing, AND the blatant, flippant tetchyness of all the "emotional types" (never a truer word). Kevin Scharfenberg is a friend of mine and a respected chaser, and, I would think, known to anybody who takes more than a passing interest in what they like to call their hobby of chasing.

The way Kevin has been flipped off and told on here that he may as well leave if he does not share the status-quo point-of-view of the many is absolutely disgusting. Of all the people who "crawl out" when there is controversy on here - I'll be dumbfounded to classify Kevin as one of them. None of you have a clue who you're talking to nor do you understand how your spew has polluted this forum.

Kevin - escape while you can, and I'll do the same, and I think that should be the last this forum will hear form us......testosterone-pumping is a little too sick for my taste in chasing.

What a shame people are not more open-minded and considerate - I am severely disappointed. I'm glad Tim Marshall no longer posts here.....maybe he knows what his "forum" has turned into, already?

KR

MODERATOR: This thread has been largely a discussion of chase philosophy or perhaps some about chase decisions. Since there were no direct personal attacks, the discussion was allowed to persist. The few indirect, border-line attacks should have been removed.

This thread now appears that it does not have much of a future, since most of what can be said has been said already. Nobody is required to be "nice", and as long as there are no direct personal attacks, and all other Stormtrack forum rules are abided by, there is little administrative action that can (and should) be taken. Again, given the bleak future of any further discussion involving the origin intent of this thread, this thread has been locked. If desired, participants can continue the discussion through email or private messaging.

Personally, I think there was a lot of misunderstand and misinterpretation in this thread. The unfortunate aspect of internet boards is that, without direct speech and dialogue, it is difficult to fully understand the TONE and attitude in which a particular thought was presented. With speech, you can pick up on the tone; with internet text, this is much more difficult. This is a very important concept that should be remember the next time there is a discussion of this sort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back