Comments on a bust

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys! I have a brilliant idea! How about we DROP IT! :-D Everyone's getting their panties in a wad over something so ridiculously silly. Kiel's stated what he wants to say about the matter, and everyone has had their fair chance to rebut. Everyone's feelings on the issue have been heard, so there is really no point in continuing it on in a public thread. Obviously, some people are unhappy with one another still, so maybe it's best to resolve it via E-mail or private message. Things tend to get resolved quicker and more efficiently that way :).

Originally posted by Kiel Ortega
Further, I don't put a lot of my forecasts up here for the very reasons of why this thread suddenly got bad: emotional outbursts and very little reason.

Is that SERIOUSLY why you fail to post any forecasts? You honestly think that a majority of threads started in the Target Area end like this conversation? I think not...

As for emotion - Everyone has emotions, and it's only natural for them to get in the way. I personally haven't chased out on the plains yet, so I'm not trying to cover up any forecasting errors - Heck, I didn't even post a forecast that day.

No one here is saying chasing on thin probability days is bad. However, oversensationalization is. That was the point to begin with

I'm not getting it... If someone thinks its a "sensational" event, then what the heck does it matter to you? Again, your arguing opinions, and it's going nowhere...

but I guess the reading level here is somewhere around 3rd grade. Further, I like how people make assumptions about people they don't even know?

Excuse me? Talk about making assumptions... No - It's not that people read at a third grade level, it's that people actually stick up for themselves...

Hey Shane, May 11 2005, W KS...was out there until about 10 when I finally saw the Ulysses tornado. Thanks for trying, but you BUSTED on assuming I ditch out early.

Keep insulting, it only makes your argument stronger :roll:

So, given the fact that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, what is the problem with people hyping up an event, chasing, go out on thin chances?

1) If you make a bad forecast, don't try to make it look good by saying \"Had anything fired, it woulda been great!\" or \"this beautiful set up destroyed by the cap.\" Take the bad forecast and learn from it. I have. I have busted many times...but I learned (and I admit when I am wrong).

I am not taking sides on this issue, but I agree with Kiel's statement on learning from the forecasts. It seems that everytime I have gone out this year, I have learned something new (and have learned a lot this year), and if you asked me a year ago to forecast anything, I would have been looking at you with a puzzled look. I have a very limited forecasting ability, but the bust chase I was on during the day on Saturday enlightened me and educated me more about capping inversions and the such. However, I did write forecasts for this event since Wednesday when the FCST thread was opened, and I did indicate the presence of a strong cap and trying to link the event to another possible May 10th where if convection could fire, it would be very discrete and could be like the Audubon, IA supercell.

But I think if you want to chase, then go ahead and chase, if not, then stay home and wait for another day. If somebody wants to chase on the most marginal of days (July 7, 04 rings a bell for me), more power to them, should they come home with a trophy or come home with a disgusted look on their face. My determination to chase is dependent on a variety of factors: visible satellite, model data, sounding data, spc mesoanalysis, spc convective outlooks/mesoscale discussions, radar analysis, and surface observations. I know I was feeling the dry air in Nebraska, and that should have been a sign to head home, but I spent the day with the lady (baby at the babysitters) and we headed for a small shopping trip in Omaha so the day was not lost.

Yes, Kiel did make some good points, but it was this statement that really got me going:

I love how everyone really doesn't look at the weather and looks at the models. Further, when they bust it has nothing to do with the fact they didn't pay attention to real data.

Try to stick with data...soundings don't lie and I don't care what a model says.

He was simply assuming that anyone who went out wasn't aware of the CAP in place, which is incorrect.

Then we had this:

I was just pointing out the fact that when people bust, it's never because of their bad forecasting...it's always a BEAUTIFUL set up gone wrong...

What's beautiful to one, may not be to someone else. A 2% chance of severe weather may be what I consider beautiful. Most people consider strongly capped environments to be "beautiful", because it provides at least the chance for that one single cell to traverse the plains - The unexpected cell...

...the 12Z sounding from OAX should have been enough today to say NO to chasing.

And there we have it - He states that people should have said "no to chasing"...

In any cross-section of people (for example, the membership of an online forum) you are going to find the same variety of people with the same strengths and weaknesses found in the general population. You will find people that run the gamut from born optimists to dyed-in-the-wool pessimists. You will find people who are extreme introverts to extreme extroverts. You will find people who are extremely secure with themselves/healthy self-images to those who are extremely insecure with poor self-images. You will find people who have social skills and are generally courteous to those who are (apparently) socially retarded or have abusive/border-line personalities that take great pleasure in making sure that everyone else knows that they picked the right horse after the race is run. Ego-mania is not difficult to detect in any of its myriad forms.

Posters of this nature say much more about themselves than they do about the people they intend to "school". They abound on the internet and are known as "trolls". While it can be very hard to resist, the best policy is generally "Don't Feed the Trolls". They delight mostly in the ruckus that results from their inflamatory "bait". Don't take it.

Of course, perhaps this approach says something about ME: Reminds me of the joke about the Sadist and the Masochist. The Masochist says, "Please BEAT/WHIP me." The Sadist says: "No".

Darren Addy
Kearney, NE

I vote that we let people think whatever the heck they want to think. If folks want to think the event that busted would have been the next 5-3-99, then let them! In all honesty, how do the thoughts of others affect me? I have my opinion about days, and that's all that matters.

This board is comprised of a very large number of folks with a wide range of forecasting ability. Some folks are more seasoned, some are beginners. Since a lot of forecasting is learned by experience, some folks need to experience things to learn. If someone wants to base their entire forecast on one model run, who am I to call them out? Chances are, even the seasoned forecasters were in their shoes at one time or another. Everyone has their own way of forecasting, and I have no place telling them it's right or wrong. Experience will be gained by all, and this experience will likely make everyone better forecasters.

So, my vote is to drop this subject. I say that if someone wants to call some particular day a major, super-duper, armaggedon, outbreak day, let them! How does that affect me? It doesn't. Additionally, implying a bad forecast seems pretty pompous in my opinion. Weirder things have happened than a 'surprise event' (e.g. Jarrel, TX, f5). Let people forecast, let people bust, let people learn. I have my forecast thoughts, and others have theirs. I don't really have a place calling people out for thinking one event or another would have been "awesome", even if it, in my eyes, looked marginal to moderate. Saying that folks are ridiculous for labeling this event "perfect" or a "dream" chase does seem very pompous. I may not have agreed, but it's not my place to tell them their forecast is "bad". In fact, unlesss we're doing some standardized verification methodology, I don't think any should should publically call them "bad".

Finally, I don't think anyone should criticize anyone else's forecast unless they post their forecast too. Just my 3 cents.

...Further, I don't put a lot of my forecasts up here for the very reasons of why this thread suddenly got bad: emotional outbursts and very little reason.

I know Jeff has asked folks to drop the subject, but as someone who does occasionally make forecasts (mine for this event was very preliminary, but hit on the issues at hand) in TA I'd like to add my opinion to the mix.

Kiel,

I guess I'll jump on the bandwagon and agree that your comments were out-of-line, in that you paraded in and essentially told everyone that they should have known better - when you yourself didn't have the courage and confidence to POST that feeling yourself that morning. Hindsight makes it real easy to say how you "knew" this day was going to be a bust all along (and I saw that you were not alone in patting yourself on the back for staying home) - but things always look very different beforehand. If you want to critique the decisions of others in their forecasts - doing so by actively participating in forecast discussions and tactfully pointing out potential barriers to an event will earn you respect instead of the lambasting you are getting here. You specifically prided yourself with being on the Ulysses KS tornado earlier this year - had you posted beforehand this as your target and that you knew the event would be after dark and that was still ok - then I'd be impressed - even more so if you could consistently do so - but since you didn't, there is any number of possible reasons that you happened to end up there, and it may have had more to do with chance than true forecasting skill. So, if you want to talk s*** about other people's forecasts and decisions - you should join into the discussion beforehand instead of telling everyone how stupid they were after-the-fact. It carries no credence.

As for the backdrop of your post topic - was the day over-sensationalized, in fact are many chase days that way? I would agree with you and Kevin that yes, it happens, and fairly often. Optimism is a very personal drive though - so what it takes to get you excited about a day's potential is very different from that of someone else. But, there were several POST event comments in particular that eluded to how great the day would have been had the cap not been so strong - and when you consider the time, money and effort that goes into getting out for some chases, then you probably at least want to believe this was true for your own mental health after a disapointing conclusion. You admit that you have clear-sky busted many times, what were the thoughts going through your head at the time? Do you say to yourself "this day was an obvious bust all along"? Clearly not or you wouldn't have been out there in the first place. Experience isn't something you gain quickly - many folks will remember this event, and like your busts helped you forecast better, this will help them as well. Most events are not "synoptically evident", and most serious chasers will go out on events that are far from ideal. If you don't, too bad, because your missing a lot of spectacular storms. It is a matter of POD vs. FAR - and many chasers choose the former.

Is there too much hype put into model forecasts several days out? Seemingly yes, but generally by a select and repeating crowd - and it is easy to filter/ignore certain posts once you pay attention to who typically posts what. But, you have to keep in mind that not everyone lives close enough to the plains to be able to rely on observations to make their final chase decision. Some people have to decide even days in advance - and once you are commited - you have to try and make the most with whatever you have. Use of model forecast parameters (such as STP) to make chase forecast decisions will eventually weed these chasers out - so why worry about them?

Is there a tendency for some chasers to get overly worked up for a day that holds seemingly slim potential? Clearly this is a matter of entirely personal opinion - you can mudsling and say how you should have noted this or that, but do you REALLY know beforehand what is going to transpire? Yes, the situation looked bleak morning of - but there are a number of days where marginal to even poor conditions still supported phenomenal storms owing to smaller scale factors (such as a favorable storm interaction, like the Mulvane storm of last year which would likely have been far less memorable were it not for the outflow boundary laid out by the leading convection) that are often close to impossible to anticipate. Hard core chasers will often give the atmosphere a chance in favor of a clear-sky bust instead of an overforced event. Since deep convection never became established on this day ( and there are any number of possible ways that it could have) - we will never really know how great or crappy it would have been.

Glen

Well, I said I was done with this thread but a few good points have been raised. So here goes...

Didn't we all agree last season that it was okay to criticize SPC and WFO forecasts? Are we now saying it's not okay to criticize the forecasts of other chasers so we don't hurt any feelings? If such a double standard exists that's fine, just let us know so we can avoid such future pile-ons (maybe people will think about this next time they bash an SPC forecast).

I posted in the forecast threads last year many times, but I found it was pretty pointless to follow those threads. I hadn't been bothering so far this year. The idea of forecasting here (for most people) seems to be discussing where the NAM/GFS paints bullseyes of precip, SRH and CAPE, and discussing or rehashing what SPC/WFOs are talking about. The idea of nowcasting is discussing the SPC mesoanalysis MODEL fields (a great tool if used correctly), and whether the Gibson Ridge or Threatnet software is showing a meso or 3.5" vs. 3.75" hail. Again, all of this is fine, but following such threads is just not for me. My forecast philosophy is just not congruent with the other posters. Note I didn't claim it is any better, I just don't have time for it.

Finally, I resolve not to care if a few other chasers spend their lives on an emotional roller coaster, thinking every day is another 5/3/99 only to be disappointed 99% of the time. Again, those threads are probably very interesting for the people involved, but they are not for me, so I will choose not to participate. I won't criticize either, though you might hear me making fun of such talk at the local pub the next day. Cheers! :)

I am going to agree with Kevin and say a lot of people's emotion's are getting in the way.

You may be correct about this. However, it was partly your post that got those emotions up. There are ways to say things that help and then there are ways to say things that can start a fight. There's a time to say things and a time to keep your mouth shut. Your post in the TALK forum pointed out that everyone busted on 5/21 (duh), and then proceeded to explain why all of those chasers screwed up their forecast, whereas you, from the comfort of your home, who'd never spoken up until now, didn't. Your post came right after a very long drive after a long bust day for a lot of chasers. Can you see why your words were a spark in the mineshaft?

It's foolish for anyone to generalize about all chasers who went out on a day. Yes, you were likely correct that some chasers relied too much on models yesterday. For example, I know that I, as a person fairly new to forecasting, tend to rely too much on models, and I work hard to avoid doing that. But many of the people you are commenting on spend plenty of time looking at current analysis data. This is why people got emotional. Your timing and your generalizations were offensive.

Even if you were the most intelligent forecaster on this board and were wiser than everyone else for staying home and paying lots of attention to the 12Z OMA sounding (which you'll notice I actually mentioned earlier in the day on the TALK forum), do you really think that last night was the best time to remind everyone?

*edit* Removed a line in the post by request

Hey Shane, May 11 2005, W KS...was out there until about 10 when I finally saw the Ulysses tornado. Thanks for trying, but you BUSTED on assuming I ditch out early.

But if you had busted that day, I wouldn't have criticized you for having gone out, even if I had purposely stayed home thinking the cap would've held. That's my point.

BTW, I'm simply carrying on this debate. If caring abut my opinion is "emotional" then color me emotional. But I think blaming emotions on others' opinions is a petty way to avoid valid points not in favor of your own views. I got the same crap on wx-chase for years, I was always b eing "emotional" whenever I stated an opinion or defended my stance on anything. Let's not make this another WX-CHASE. Comments like Keil's original one should be kept between certain individuals on secret lists, not dsiplayed on a public forum where you know you'll get a reaction from more than a few people. Remember Keil, you started this, not anyone else....and trying to play the "bigger man" now and wanting to sweep this under the rug isn't gonna cut it. In other words, you opened the bottle, now take your medicine. When everyone you pissed off has had their say, it will go away. Not before.

huh?

Quote:
but I guess the reading level here is somewhere around 3rd grade. Further, I like how people make assumptions about people they don't even know?

Excuse me, but I read at a 4th grade level thank you very much! LOL :lol:

Originally posted by Kevin Scharfenberg
Well, I said I was done with this thread but a few good points have been raised. So here goes...

. The idea of nowcasting is discussing the SPC mesoanalysis MODEL fields (a great tool if used correctly), and whether the Gibson Ridge or Threatnet software is showing a meso or 3.5\" vs. 3.75\" hail. Again, all of this is fine, but following such threads is just not for me. My forecast philosophy is just not congruent with the other posters. Note I didn't claim it is any better, I just don't have time for it.

\"Finally, I resolve not to care if a few other chasers spend their lives on an emotional roller coaster, thinking every day is another 5/3/99 only to be disappointed 99% of the time. Again, those threads are probably very interesting for the people involved, but they are not for me, so I will choose not to participate. I won't criticize either, though you might hear me making fun of such talk at the local pub the next day. Cheers! :)
You keep taking these indirect shots at myself and others. If you want to say something, PM me, as I have no problem resolving this. As for your "forecast philsophy not being congruent with others" , *Clapping* You seem you want to be different than others. Rebellion against society? Social misfit? If those threads are "not for you" and is a waste of your time, then WHY did you post there last night, and second, why are you still here?

Since when did anyone think every day was going to be like 5/3/99? I don't ever recall anyone saying that or hinting towards it. PLEASE do us the favor and live up to your words.

Is this some kind of "Weather chaser Pub?" Cause most likely they will be laughing AT you.

Disappointed 99% of the time? Only one chaser comes to mind, and that person isn't involved in this. I, myself, am not disappointed 99% of the time.

I am in no way a forecaster, and have never claimed to be. Every situation is different, and even the slightest chance of storms can bring down the monster. I enjoy this site, and am learning valuable lessons from other's posts here. I ignore the pessimism, but keep an open mind (Even to yourself, for instance). But if you wanna indirectly take shots at myself and others, then I'm gonna throw my .02 in. Unless you post some more indirect s--- talking at myself and others, I'm gonna ignore this thread.

I had a nice response to Dick all queued up, but I'm just not going to stoop to his level of personal attack. If someone can please show me where I directly (or even indirectly) attacked Dick, please PM me so I can send him an apology. It will be pretty difficult since I've never heard of him before now. All of my discussion has been in generic terms, never talking about any individuals or groups, stayed on issue of forecasting and philosophy, and left plenty of room for disagreement and other philosophies. It also apparently hurt the feelings of a handful of emotional types, but that's hardly my problem. I really, really don't have time for this kind of garbage, so my brief attempt to come out of hiatus is over and it's back to the private groups. Good luck all, and to my friends I'll see you in the inflow soon!

-K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back