Cingular Service Opinions

Joe Nield

EF5
I'm considering a switch from Verizon to Cingular for my cellular service, and I wanted to solicit opinions on Cingular's service from those in the chaser community. I've been moderately satisfied with Verizon, but I need a new phone and can save some money with Cingular.

I'm considering a switch from Verizon to Cingular for my cellular service, and I wanted to solicit opinions on Cingular's service from those in the chaser community. I've been moderately satisfied with Verizon, but I need a new phone and can save some money with Cingular.

Don't do it !!!, With the roaming agreements in place between Verizon and Alltel . You will get much better coverage with Verizon

I haven't had any major problems with Cingular. I've had voice MOST places (particularly w/ external antenna), and data many places.

I will warn you right now.
I was inKansas this weekend for the cold core setup, and my cingular air card was worthless west of Emporia. Didn't get signal back till we hit topika later in the evening. as Said above. DON'T DO IT!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy with Cingular- all over the Plains. Of course it has it's dead areas though.
I use an amp and good antenna so I give it a boost.
Laura

Voice is my main concern. As long as I can get that most places, I'm happy. Thanks for all the input so far. Any others??

Well, here's their network map:

http://www.cingular.com/coverageviewer/

Remember, Cingular uses GSM and GSM only. So where you don't see it shaded in, you won't get any reception at all. You won't even be able to dial 911, since the other cellphone network's towers won't know how to talk to your phone. Probably okay if you restrict yourself to the southern plains, but I wouldn't want to be using it in Kansas or Nebraska or South Dakota.

I was chasing last year in the Plains and Cingular seemed to work OK, but in North Central KS, forget about it. The only place I remember it working was Salina and Beloit. I really use to love Cingular, and about 5 years ago it was superior to others in the Plains. Now I think other carriers provide better coverage but not exactly sure. I am going to continue to stay with Cingular bc most of my friends have it and when I call for radar updates they don't charge me for mobile to mobile. I tend to burn up a lot of minutes in the Plains but if I'm in North Central KS I will have to rely on my chase partner's Verizon. Hope this doesn't cloud your decision any.

I had a solid connection along the interstate on Saturday's chase. I had no signal when we were stuck in the mud, and my data connection was quite spotty between Salina and Marion, but we were able to pick it up in places.

I'm also getting unlimited data for $20 a month. This is an older plan though that might not be available anymore. Does Verizon have a similarly priced package?

I just purchased a Sierra Wirless Air Card from Cingular. Are there any amps or external antenas avabile that will work with this for better coverage. It works fine with a strong signal, but really slows down with a little weaker signal.

Back