Chasing with your young children

I'm of the opinion that taking your child chasing (safely) is no different than taking them driving on a long trip, or hiking in the mountains, etc. There's always inherent risk, but it is certainly not child endangerment. I consider this enlightenment, and exposure to science in an exciting "laboratory" setting.

That said, this topic has strayed from my original objective. I'm looking for advice and anecdotes from those with experience, not for opinions on whether or not it should be done. And if you don't like kids, please don't reply.

This is my brightest storm experience when I was small: My parents are not storm chasers, but back in 2001 we was caught into a severe thunderstorm. Severe weather outbreak began and we were heading back home from psychiatrist's. Well, I was afraid of thunders that time, but then I thought and I even said: Whoa! This is like in Savage Skies! It was so dark that street lights were turned on in some places. I was 11 years old at that time. But well, it was not chasing, it was scheduled trip, but still worth of mentioning to say that I have been young when I have encountered severe thunderstorms on the road.

Back