Chasing Etiquette

Despite how I may seem on this forum, I am quite introverted especially during a solo chase when I have a lot on my mind. It is difficult for me to shift into outgoing conversation/interaction mode on chases, and I tend to be that guy who seems "cold" and unfriendly at gas stops/convergences unless I have a long wait ahead with no forecasting/data monitoring to do. This was especially true on this trip with the high mileages and 4-6 hours of sleep per night I was averaging. I apologize in advance if I did that/will do that to any of you, it is nothing personal.

Dan, I don’t think I saw you this trip, but no apology necessary, I definitely understand the difference in “mode” - I feel like that even at work, shifting between “meeting/conversation mode” and “analysis mode” - it’s a bigger shift requiring more psychic energy than many people realize - and I have probably been in a similar state of mind to yours at many chaser convergences. But nice of you to post that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good point @JamesCaruso to focus on today. When I talk in the field, we almost always talk about the here and now. Compare nowcasts. Discuss the current cell. Cheer development. Seems strange to bring up the previous day, especially in the heat of battle.

Most of the time, yeah it is just a wave and people wave back. Reminds me of NYC, lol, they will smile if one smiles first.

I would say talking about the past is more acceptable at dinner/drinks after, or even breakfast/lunch before. In the field though, it's all about right now.

On a related note, I will add another “rule” of etiquette: if you are going to start a conversation with another chaser, don’t let the first words out of your mouth be “Did you see the tornado ....(back there, earlier today, yesterday, last Tuesday, etc.) Nobody nursing a still-fresh frustration, failure or disappointment wants to hear that, it’s salt in a wound.

Yeah, that can burn. I’ll never forget getting on the Bowdle storm just after the EF-4, ignorant in my bliss as I was filming a nice multi-vortex when some chaser came up and jubilantly exclaimed “How about that wedge!” Talk about the ultimate chasing buzz kill, I knew the storm had produced a few tornadoes but had no clue that I missed anything of significance.

As for etiquette I’d rate safety first and consideration for others second as the most important things to keep in mind. Consideration not only for other chasers but everyone and remember that local folks might not only not share your enthusiasm for the storm they might be experiencing a completely different set of emotions as the supercell you marvel threatens their home or community. Another time I’ll never forget, back in 2010 in Colorado, I’m out setting up my tripod to film a developing wall cloud when this girl pulls up in her car and asks what I’m doing.

“Filming the storm!”

“Why, do you think it’s special or something”

“Yeah, it might even spawn a tornado any minute!”

“Really? Where”

“Right where my camera’s pointed!”

“Oh my god, that’s where I live!”

She looks at me like I’m a monster, starts crying and proceeds to blast off right toward the circulation. Had I acted with concern instead of jubilation I might have kept her from driving into danger or at least not drove her to panic. I also could have spared myself from coming across like a complete ass and feeling like one as well.

Another thing I’d recommend is don’t get lost in the chaser frenzy where you forget that not every other vehicle on a gravel road in the middle of nowhere is a chaser. I was guilty of that this year in Oklahoma, pulled off on a gravel road and lacking any spot to park decided to pull off parallel to the road on somebody’s driveway entrance. I figured if any car wanted to pull out I’d move so no big deal. A minute or so later a vehicle pulls right up behind me, right on my bumper and I got a little pissed thinking why the heck don’t they get their own spot? This one is a little tight for two, do you really need to crowd me like that? Just then a sheriff pulls up beside them and after talking with them a few seconds pulls up beside me. I figured he wanted to ask me about the storm but to my surprise he asks me to move so the folks behind me can get in their driveway. I nodded sheepishly, apologized and in my embarrassment thought to myself “did I really just do that?” I still feel the shame just writing about it and you can bet I'll never let anything like that happen again.

Another thing that came to mind is not yelling and/or honking at chasers as you drive by them.

When I was watching the Coleridge, NE tornado in 2014, I had a vehicle drive by with people screaming at me and honking. I don't know if they were even chasers and honestly, I did not mind it. It was my first up-close encounter with a strong tornado and I was perhaps even more excited than they were. However, other chasers who may be filming or otherwise enjoying an event probably don't want loud sounds interrupting the moment.

I do try to wave when I pass by some chasers on the road, unless it's a mobbed scene with dozens of chasers, then it seems silly. Otherwise I think it's a nice gesture, especially if you're in a remote area with few chasers.

One thing that I try my best to avoid at all costs is following or otherwise driving right up to chasers who are by themselves. I don't mind some social interaction, but unless I'm good friends with the chaser or have some other reason to join them, I'll let them be. If anything, I usually try to keep the most distance possible, so I'm not getting in the way of any cameras and there's the safety aspect too.

Very good thread. I don't have much to add beyond what Warren, Dan and everyone else has said here. If one will be parked for an extended time at a gas station, try to park off to the side, away from the main customer traffic areas and maybe ask if it's all right to wait. Throw some business their way. Share information with clerk or manager about the weather situation. A nice reminder to be "weather aware" is always appreciated.

A couple other things to remember
  1. Slow down by people off the side of the road especially on dirt due to rock and dirt hitting chasers. Be alert while doing so to what is behind you vehicle wise.
  2. When coming to join people stopped be mindful that they may have time lapse going or recording. Keep quiet until you know what is going on.
  3. Never pull in front of a chasers vehicle that was there before you. They most likely have a dash cam or other recording happening. DO NOT BLOCK THEIR VIEW.
  4. Ditches or the side of the road is not always hard or paced. May times you can get into trouble due to mud or what have you.
There is probably more but that is off the top of my head.

NOTE: There is no type of vehicle currently deployed to chase that will be fine on the roads. Mud/clay etc will teach you that soon enough.

All great points in this thread! Indeed, pretty much all the chasers I 'see' on here, or on Facebook, etc, are those who will behave in a decent manner - it always makes me wonder who the chasers are who don't - e.g., those who dawdle along at 35mph, or just stop without signalling - then it dawned on me that it *could* be any of us, at times...I'm sure most of us have had a moment or two where we've realised we've done something which isn't as courteous, etc, as it could be. I just try to do the best I can, as I'm sure most do.

But the driving slowly thing - that still gets my goat! ;)

Back