Chasing Dennis

Michael,

Since you address me directly, I'll answer you directly. I think the choice to chase a hurricane when you have no experience doing so, don't know the area, are traveling alone, and have nobody with you who has done it before or even experienced a hurricane before, is exceptionally irresponsible. You're likely to wind up in trouble and cause additional danger to emergency services personnel or others. Sorry that isn't what you want to hear.

The Weathervine team were born and raised in South Florida and hurricanes are indigenous. They lived through many before they chased--including Andrew--and I think you'll find the same biography for most of the hurricane chasers we can all name. I would be surprised if any of them disagrees with what I wrote.

As for not knowing hurricane chasers, perhaps you can wait until you meet some. I didn't know Jeff Gammons the day I was born.

Maybe I represent the more cautious end of the spectrum. If so, I'm comfortable with that. But I have lived in South Florida, lived through a small hurricane, and I have known cane chasers long enough to know that it is more complicated than it appears.

That said, I wish you and anybody else who goes the best of luck and safe travels.

100% agree with Amos and doug. This is not the storm for your first hurricane chase. start small with tropical storms and work your way up so to speak.

My plan right now is to jsut wait and see. If its heads towards pensacola I'll probably just not even bother.

I was fortunate the first two hurricane chases I embarked on that nothing happened due to the things I wasn't expecting. The third one I was more than prepared for after experiencing the first two.

The food and gas shortages are more trouble than one would expect them to be. They are serious problems that put you in great risk of getting stranded in a danger zone with no food or water for days. During Isabel, we brought some snacks and a couple of Gatorades. If we hadn't made it out of the damage zone 16 hours later, dehydrated and starving, we'd have had to resort to finding a shelter to get basic survival neccessities. I ran into chasers during Frances who had run out of food the first day, with no stores open for hundreds of miles. I was also lucky that I didn't get any debris-caused flat tires during my hurricane intercepts, another thing that can strand you quickly.

There are a lot of things that can go wrong apart from the storm itself. That said, it IS fun, but be prepared for a lot more hardships than a typical Plains chase. And never go alone, even if you are experienced! This is like caving or mountain climbing. Teaming up for each other's safety is essential.

In some ways, could you not prepare for something like this (aside from the huge amount of water issue) much like you would for an extreme wilderness camping trip? In other words, take MORE than you think you would need of EVERYTHING with you and not expect to get any resources from the area at all? Go in being prepared to be TOTALLY self reliant.

Amos said...
"Since you address me directly, I'll answer you directly. I think the choice to chase a hurricane when you have no experience doing so, don't know the area, are traveling alone, and have nobody with you who has done it before or even experienced a hurricane before, is exceptionally irresponsible. You're likely to wind up in trouble and cause additional danger to emergency services personnel or others. Sorry that isn't what you want to hear."

First of all, there is no way that I am going to put myself in a situation where I would require emergency services. I found your comment stating otherwise to be borderline ridiculous. If I did ever get myself into a tough spot, I would not resort to requesting assistance from emergancy services when I put myself in the situation. I am fully prepared to take care of myself.
Like I said before Amos, is this some sort of fraternity that passes from generation to generation? Maybe what I am planning on doing is irresponsible. Maybe it isn't. It certainly isn't "exceptionally irresponsible" and I don't think you are any position to accurately make that call since the only thing you are going off of is the fact that I haven't chased a hurricane before. Especially when you yourself have never chased a hurricane.
"Don't know the area"? What does that have to do with anything? I plan on showing up plently early to scout the area before the hurricane hits. You have to be there early anyways. Experienced hurricane chasers have to go to places they are unfamiliar with virtually every time, so I don't get what not knowing the area has to do with anything.
As far as growing up some place as a prerequisite for knowing about the weather phenomenon that affect the region, I don't buy that either. I know a lot of people who have grown up in tornado alley and have tried to tell me that tornadoes won't cross rivers and hills.

Amos said...
" I have known cane chasers long enough to know that it is more complicated than it appears"

I have no illusions of this being a simple endeavor. I don't pretend to act like I fully understand what I am getting myself into nor do I take it lightly. I do believe that I am fully prepared to make it through a strong hurricane unharmed. I respect your opinion, but I think you are out of your element on this one.

I think with a little common sense you can chase any cane.

For my first hurricane chase last year, I brought 30 extra gallons of gas, food and water for 2 people for probably 10 days, one of those car battery rechargers, fix-a-flat, car chargers for all your electronics, backup cameras, cellphones, batteries lights, etc. For Ivan and Jeanne I upped the gas and basically left everything else alone. we had probably had an unrefueled range of 1300 miles. Thats like a drive from new york to miami.

Just stay away from dangerous things... large trees, power lines, and cops. For a major hurricane youll want to choose something really solid as a position.

oh ya get rainex...

Yes, you have brought up a good point. Bring LOTS of food and water. My last hurricane, I brought a cooler full of fruits, watter bottles, ice and sandwiches. I was stranded for a day due to trees down over all the roads, and slept in a shelter, but didn't take anything from the locals. When I was finally able to get out, I gave the remaining food and water to some locals.

Originally posted by David Drummond
Of course, the more people with video camera's that can be kept out, the less competition there will be for video sales for some people too eh? :roll:

Well it's obvious that you did not read the first line of the first post so let me reprint it in BOLD and Red.

"From the initial contacts I have made since I'm hired out for this, if Dennis hits the same area as Ivan, your SOL if your going to try to get near the area. "

If chasers show up to the same area, it does not matter if since I'm "Hired Out To Cover The News". But I don't need chasers showing up without a clue then asking me for help because this is a natural disaster area in the making.

As for other chasers, I probably will be chasing with one other chaser directly who is the stringer for TWC out of Lubbock TX and with The Weathervine crew.

Originally posted by Doug_Kiesling+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doug_Kiesling)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-David Drummond
Of course, the more people with video camera's that can be kept out, the less competition there will be for video sales for some people too eh? :roll:

Well it's obvious that you did not read the first line of the first post so let me reprint it in BOLD and Red.

\"From the initial contacts I have made since I'm hired out for this, if Dennis hits the same area as Ivan, your SOL if your going to try to get near the area. \"

If chasers show up to the same area, it does not matter if since I'm "Hired Out To Cover The News". But I don't need chasers showing up without a clue then asking me for help because this is a natural disaster area in the making.

As for other chasers, I probably will be chasing with one other chaser directly who is the stringer for TWC out of Lubbock TX and with The Weathervine crew.[/b]

I read, and still do, read it perfectly. Seeing as how I didn't direct my comment at anyone specific, yet you chose to take it directed at you, what I said must have struck close to home.

Judging by the several emails and PMs I got supporting the comment I made, obviously I am not the only one with that thought crossing their mind either.

All that aside, I am not going to fight on here with you. But please, I don't think any of these guys wanting to go chasing are going to rush out seeking Doug Keisling if and/or when they get in trouble out there.

I don't think we need to remind everyone that the first people that went hurricane or storm chasing, people we now look up to with a great deal of respect, went out and did it on their own. They didn't know what they were doing, they didn't know exactly what to expect, but they did it anyway, and they learned from their mistakes as they went. They didn't have anyone to show them the ropes or to tell them how it should or shouldn't be done. Yet, that is how we say it should be done today, all the while holding the utmost respect for those that originally did it just the opposite.

I think the one's that are seriously considering going for their first time have some ideas what to expect, and are doing their best to think it through, thus asking questions. Maybe some experienced hurricane "sitters" can give some ADVISE on how to best make the trek, rather than how you shouldn't try it unless you go with "us".

Have to admit, wouldn't it suck if some first timer got down there and got the shots of the day that were plastered all over the news and beat out the "old timers"?

BTW, wasn't last year your very first time to chase a major hurricane Doug?

Michael,

I hope we can agree to disagree. I stand by what I said, and I'll say that I have more respect for your approach than those who assume discussion related to safety is designed to prevent them from "scooping" other chasers. LOL. That's chasing in 2005 I guess.

In all sincerity, I wish you the best and hope you have a blast.

Amos

While I don't know if this is Michael's perspective or not, I can understand not liking being told 'you aren't experienced enough' to go hurricane chasing as it is akin to someone saying that you aren't experienced enough to chase severe storms either, and folks here would be jumping all over that argument calling out 'elitist' and what not. Yeah - these are very different types of events, but I don't think it is very respective of others to simply try and scare them away from giving it a try. Much better imo to offer suggestions from experience, etc..., such as what materials and how much to pack, and maybe suggesting that you can try to make contact with the local law enforcement in the area you plan to document from beforehand and see if you and work out a deal. Maybe if you went you'll be roadblocked out, especially if you show up late, or maybe you'll be arrested for curfew violation, or maybe you won't have any problems at all and can shoot right from a hotel parking lot. If Doug is right about the roadblocks, worst case scenario is someone who drives down there will be blocked from getting in, and will have to turn around drive back home. If, however, they do get in, better for them to be as prepared as possible, and the spirit of this site is trying to help each other out in being more successful. Those with experience aren't obligated to embrace newcomers to hurricane chasing, but I don't agree with trying to scare them away either. Share with them the hazards, difficulties, etc..., and let others decide for themselves if it is worth the trip.

Glen

Originally posted by David Drummond

BTW, wasn't last year your very first time to chase a major hurricane Doug?

Yes it was and I was the green horn chaser for Charley but I was with five very experienced hurricane chasers and my first storm was a Cat 4 Hurricane that almost killed us and did kill a lot of people.

And for Frances, I once again partnered up with the crew and we almost died again.

Hurricane Ivan, we took the weaker side of the storm because that was just too dangerious

Jeanne, hit the same place as Frances and we had another dangerious chase.

The point is, if your going to chase and your not sure what your going into and doing it alone, good luck.

I agree with Glen that sharing information is the best possible approach. I think the spirit he's suggesting is the right one.

I didn't intend for my comments to be disrespective of anybody. At the same time I don't apologize for an idea that, ten years ago and for the twenty years before that, was absolutely standard for all chasing: go with someone experienced. I know how difficult and/or impossible it is to find chasers willing to help, but that doesn't make it bad advice. It just means breaking into chasing is hard. Just because membeship and posting to Stormtrack.org comes so easily doesn't make chasing less hard. I think there's a false impression given by this website at times and whenever somebody suggests that things are not quite what they look like on the internet, it's very unpopular. From the PMs piling up in my Inbox, I can see that I have hit as unpopular a note as ever.

I'm getting to be too much of a dinosaur for this website, there is no doubt. LOL.

I thought I'd weigh in my $0.02 worth.

In reading through all of the posts, my impression is that the parties getting the barbs for being elitist or trying to scare away other chasers were being more helpful than it might seem to some. The truth of the matter is that if this is your first hurricane chase, you are inexperienced...which does NOT (or should not anyway) mean that you are incapable or not allowed into a secret fraternity of cane chasers. :)

All I saw was some enthusiastic advice that was over-stressing the safety factor. In that respect, I see no harm in doing so. It IS dangerous as hell...no doubt about it. I've seen the Charley video and I too know the weathervine guys. I feel MUCH safer around a tornadic supercell!! LOL!! Having shards of sheet metal and other debris assaulting you for hours trying to decapatate or impale you isn't my idea of fun....especially if you could be trapped in an area with no water, electricity, air-conditioning, etc. for days. If some folks go above and beyond in stessing this and repeating or even seemingly harp about it, then that's perfectly ok in my book considering the alternative. Don't take it personally and if you do, I'd advise consideration of a private off-list discussion.

I like to flirt with disaster for a few hours, but then go eat at Hooters, a hot shower (or cold shower if you've had too much fun at Hooters), and then doze off watching the Weather Channel knowing I'll enjoy a hearty breakfast the next morning and drive off to the next few hours of fun. Rinse & repeat. :)

So, I'll probably sit hurricane chasing out myself...just not my cup of tea personally. But, I think once in my life I'd like to experience a force of nature that great.....as long as Hooters is within driving distance and they still have power. LOL!!

Back