Cellular data coverage using amplifiers?

Those of you using cellular data amplifiers, what would you say your experience is regarding the percentage of area covered by usable, reliable data across the Great Plains?

Right now, without an amp, I'm getting roughly 50 to 70 percent Verizon data coverage in rural areas away from interstate highways. The more remote the location, the more holes I encounter. There are many large areas with zero signal (NW Oklahoma, for example). Interstates away from cities are at around 95%.

Does using an amp get you to 100% coverage? To me, even 95% coverage would not be good enough to switch from WxWorx. That 5% cell data hole will eventually get me at a critical time. WxWorx gets me 100% coverage, but at an annual cost a little less than buying a cellular amplifier.

And just because I know this will probably be brought up: Resolution is a non-issue to me, having radar full-time is. If you've chased more than 3 times and know what a supercell looks like, you don't need a high res velocity scan to find the circulation. A big blob on the display is good enough - get to its south end and go visual. Unless it's a monster HP, which I'm mostly done with needing radar to guide me right next to that kind of tornado.

Anyway, just wondering exactly how good/reliable an amp makes your cell data and whether it's worth considering if you're already running WxWorx.

I have a Wilson 3G amp with 13db antenna (about 30" long) that I used with a data card (direct connect) during the 2009-2012 period. It seemed as though my coverage was endless, except in NW OK with Verizon. I drove a big loop around Nebraska from York, to O'Neill, to Valentine, to North Platte in which we only lost coverage for a few minutes during that time.

I was able to get the amp for around $100 and the antenna for $40 if I remember right, but that was used 3G equipment. A good 4g setup, like what Gordon offers, is not going to be anywhere near that price point. If a great connection is that valuable to you, then I am sure it would be worth the money. Places like Kansas to SD, you will be hard pressed to find a place that amp and antenna can not get you coverage.

My experience loosely resembles yours Dan with cellular connectivity waning the further a person gets away from cities, towns, and the main roads. I chased a couple of times without an amplifier in 2007. Once I purchased and hooked up the amp I was surprised at how much further I could go off the beaten path and still hold a signal. After having it for most of 2007, we were chasing in Arkansas in May 2008 and the inline fuse (found in the power plug) blew out, so I was without it for a day. It really does make a difference to have a functioning amplifier (green light is glowing) and just those experiences alone are what I base it on. I also carry a spare supply of fuses with me now to ensure that I always have a functioning amplifier come heck or high water.

I am planning to quantify my results once I get a production unit from Gordon by going to a few known local dead spots and trying a connection with and without the new amplifier as I travel through the area. My plan is to put some real world results to my opinion, so folks have some meat to sink their teeth into if that makes any sense.

I can almost guarantee that if you dump your WxWorx package, chances are you will find yourself chasing in NW OK, NE NM, SW SD, SE MT, or another BF Egypt location where cellular signals are sparse and you'll wish you had kept it. I expect those areas to continue to get better with time, but it is what it is for now.

The economics of amplifier vs WxWorx greatly favor the amp if it accomplishes 100% coverage. The cost of even the higher-end amp would pay for itself in about a year and a half VS continuing the WxWorx subscription.

But that 100% coverage number is vital. Right now I can deal with not having cell data even away from interstates and metro areas, as all I really need is radar when in chase mode. I mainly use internet for pre-chase stuff like satellite, mesoanalysis, surface obs, etc. and post-chase things like uploading video and photos. Once I'm in chase mode, WxWorx takes over and does the job, and *always* works. It would simply be a luxury expense for me to just increase cell data coverage from 70% to 90%-95%, as I'd still need to maintain the WxWorx also. Don't get me wrong, having the GRLevel3/COD resolution radar all the time is nice on a chase, but not essential.

Gordon's amp certainly sounds very promising, and I'm looking forward to hearing how it handles those notorious spots such as the ones in NW OK.

I use a verizon mifi and throw it is a wilson 4g booster and have a RV antenna hooked to it. Last year I was able to go anywhere and have signal with the exception of some spots in Northern Nebraska. Recently I traveled straight south from Kearney to the Oklahoma border and never once dropped signal. I actually streamed yesterday for the fun of it in 720P from Kearney to Grand Island which has a known data hole in it.. The booster does a good job but I am always trying to improve. I have included a picture of the antenna. The setup works very well.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 312
I too am waiting for Gordon's 4G unit to come out.....and will be purchasing one...I live in Nebraska and chase here, and agree, cell service sucks, when you get away from the city

I use a Verizon MIFI also, and with an amp I have 95%+ coverage. Last year chasing in Nebraska, Wyoming, Colorado and South Dakota I only dropped data that I noticed once in about 9,000 miles of chasing. I currently have the Rockies amp which just amps 3G when 4G isn't available. Can't wait to get the new amp... I honestly can't imagine paying for WxWorx at this point.

I started out with a dumbphone with 3.99 weather channel radar and a hand held GPS device. The main reason I upgraded to the laptop with usb modem was so I could use GRL3 and have my location shown in relation to the storm on the same screen. Is this possible on WxWorx? I don't really know much about it. It is especially important to me at night, because detailed radar will give you additional information as to what is happening and you can see right where you are with input from the GPS. I'm sticking with 3g this year so I won't have to upgrade anything. All I did is switch from Millenicom to Verizon. They were even able to use my usb760 after being told several times by Verizon employees that it would not work. Finally the Big boss man came out and said they could do it. I've used a Maximum Signal amp now for around 5 years and the only place South of Kansas I've experienced loss of signal is NW OK and down in South central TX somewhere. Even in NW OK though I could always reconnect after going up the road a little ways. And I think it depends on what all you are trying to do. All I do is update GRL3 in bad areas.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Does using an amp get you to 100% coverage? To me, even 95% coverage would not be good enough to switch from WxWorx. That 5% cell data hole will eventually get me at a critical time. WxWorx gets me 100% coverage, but at an annual cost a little less than buying a cellular amplifier.Anyway, just wondering exactly how good/reliable an amp makes your cell data and whether it's worth considering if you're already running WxWorx.[/QUOTE]

I thought WxWorx Baron's support was going away... anyone else, what's the story on this? I quit using WxWorx a couple of years ago and I'm doing fine without it. AT&T has better overall coverage regardless of what the commercials say, but the signal/download is much slower. I'm with Verizon now and get more data for the money. Most chase tours and many chasers use both major carriers.

I thought WxWorx Baron's support was going away... anyone else, what's the story on this? I quit using WxWorx a couple of years ago and I'm doing fine without it. AT&T has better overall coverage regardless of what the commercials say, but the signal/download is much slower. I'm with Verizon now and get more data for the money. Most chase tours and many chasers use both major carriers.

I haven't heard that, does anyone else have some inside info on that? It wouldn't surprise me to see Ground (Mobile Threat Net) software phased out or at least no longer updated. I thought they were even at Chasercon this year and gave a WxWorx unit away as a door prize? Still, their market seems to primarily be geared toward air and marine, which I'd think wouldn't ever be threatened by cellular. In that case the satellite would still be transmitting the data needed for the ground receivers to still work.

I'm all for cellular, and will probably make the jump to an amp once I'm sure I can trust it completely everywhere I chase (including all of the Midwest and parts of the eastern US). I'll probably wait until at least next year to see how everyone fares with the new 4G amp.

Dan, I ordered a weBoost Drive 4G-M over the weekend (formerly Wilson Electronics). I will post the results one I have it installed and tested. I couldn't go another season like I have in the past...

I am interested in how well it works too, if you don't mind keeping us updated...I am going to buy an amp, very very very soon......I'd love to hear how well this thing works

We are still fighting with the FCC over which antennas we will include . They are trying to make us downgrade our antennas . Only in America must you make your product inferior to get the government to allow you to release it. I am not worried about WeBooost/Wilson products once we get out there. A WeBoost needs a donor signal of at least - 104 really -100 to function . Ours will pick up a signal of -127. Your phone stops even sensing a signal at. -113 through -116 . I can't worry about folks buying the inferior product with ours not out yet. Once they see ours in action because a friend has it . They will become our customer too and they will trying to sell their WeBoost on EBAY.

For MaximumSignal, is there a theoretical distance a "usable" signal will be extended given a cell tower with "average" power and smooth terrain? I realize the terms in quotes may be difficult to define...

For MaximumSignal, is there a theoretical distance a "usable" signal will be extended given a cell tower with "average" power and smooth terrain? I realize the terms in quotes may be difficult to define...
As long as we can pick up a donor signal.. It has been tested in places that no device would work before even with amplifiers . And excelled

We are still fighting with the FCC over which antennas we will include . They are trying to make us downgrade our antennas . Only in America must you make your product inferior to get the government to allow you to release it. I am not worried about WeBooost/Wilson products once we get out there. A WeBoost needs a donor signal of at least - 104 really -100 to function . Ours will pick up a signal of -127. Your phone stops even sensing a signal at. -113 through -116 . I can't worry about folks buying the inferior product with ours not out yet. Once they see ours in action because a friend has it . They will become our customer too and they will trying to sell their WeBoost on EBAY.
So, you are saying I just wasted $369.00 Gordon? I've read nothing but good about what I just bought and was honestly a bit hesitant to continue waiting for a first gen product that you are going to release.

So, you are saying I just wasted $369.00 Gordon? I've read nothing but good about what I just bought and was honestly a bit hesitant to continue waiting for a first gen product that you are going to release.
Maybe you should check how many revisions they had to do to even get their limited release ( 8) We were passed on our first edition. Use it Be happy . When you need something that kicks ass . Come and see me. First generation is hardly realevent when you put the time and money in R & D to do it right the first time!

As long as we can pick up a donor signal.. It has been tested in places that no device would work before even with amplifiers . And excelled
Can't give a distance though, eh? I'm willing enough to give it a try when it's available. Granted, I'm usually in complex terrain, but I'd guesstimate that whenever I encounter "dead zones" it's due to terrain blocking only about half the time, and the other 50% of the time there still is line-of-sight to the nearest tower, it's just too far away.

Worst case scenario, my "guesstimates" are wrong and it won't be as effective. In that case I can recoup some of the cost by selling to someone on the Plains.

It'll be a much cheaper gambit than BGAN. :p

I just went to your website and got on the mailing list. I recently bought the Weboost 4G, but have no problem moving on to a better product regardless. You mentioned fighting with the FCC about what kind of antenna you can provide with a new unit. It sounds like you won't be able to offer the antenna you want to with your new units. Will you be able to sell an upgraded antenna aftermarket? If you can't, would you mind recommending a different, better antenna on this page?

Can't give a distance though, eh? I'm willing enough to give it a try when it's available. Granted, I'm usually in complex terrain, but I'd guesstimate that whenever I encounter "dead zones" it's due to terrain blocking only about half the time, and the other 50% of the time there still is line-of-sight to the nearest tower, it's just too far away.

Worst case scenario, my "guesstimates" are wrong and it won't be as effective. In that case I can recoup some of the cost by selling to someone on the Plains.

It'll be a much cheaper gambit than BGAN. :p

Can't give an estimate . Because every situation is different . There are no set rules. Most important thing is a donor signal . The actual donor signal requirement in our unit compared to others is much lower so we will open up dead zones no other amplifier can.

I just went to your website and got on the mailing list. I recently bought the Weboost 4G, but have no problem moving on to a better product regardless. You mentioned fighting with the FCC about what kind of antenna you can provide with a new unit. It sounds like you won't be able to offer the antenna you want to with your new units. Will you be able to sell an upgraded antenna aftermarket? If you can't, would you mind recommending a different, better antenna on this page?
We are still fighting . This fight is not over yet . We have been fighting for 23 months now as we refuse to release a mediocre product . That being said best antenna we sell dollars to performance is our 13 inch mag mount . That has been included with every amplifier kit we have released for the last 6 years. It is the best antenna on the market hands down.

You were originally hoping for an April release. Is that still possible given the recent fights with the FCC? Can you sell units without an antenna and then just let people buy the 13" mag mount from you separately?

You were originally hoping for an April release. Is that still possible given the recent fights with the FCC? Can you sell units without an antenna and then just let people buy the 13" mag mount from you separately?
Who knows every day is a different battle . Part of the new rules is that all amplifiers must be sold kitted with the antennas approved by the FCC with the amplifier. I am still selling antennas . What you do with them is your business. Still fighting to have 13 inch mag mount included in the car kit.

Back