Cell phones

The coverage map looks pretty good, minus the large lack of coverage west of an ICT - SAL line (and much of IA)... It is slowly getting better, however. According to an interview I read, Cingular is aiming to get about 50% of the former ATT Wireless towers over to Cingular by the end of 2005, with the remaining over to Cingular by end of 2006. If I'm not mistaken, ATTWS do have towers in western KS, so we should be able to use those (as Cingular customers) in a couple of years.

This is a good new, Jeff. Map is very good, even if western Kansas is not covered. But as you say if we should be able to use the new towers within two year is not bad. howewer I hope that anything like a tornado outbreak will develop in western Kansas this spring :D

Originally posted by Amos Magliocco+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Amos Magliocco)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Andrea Griffa

About contract length for cingular it's 2 years: according to you can I make the conrtact also if I stay in USA for only a month?Mmmmmmmm....

Andrea, I don't know the answer to this.

I think the best thing to do is call Cingular Customer Service and find out about these provisions before you come to the US. Their number is 1-800-331-0500.

They will know a lot more than I do! :D[/b]

Guys I and my friend Fabio are in a big trouble....As you told me, Amos, I phoned Cingular customer service and they told me that if I'm not mresident in USA I can't do any contracts with cingular!
This is a very bad new for me and my friend....
Last year we made a contract with Verizon thanks to a friend who lives in California. Then we went to tornado alley. But this year we won't go in California and we really don't know how can we do!
Someone knows an advice for us?

Hi everybody,

I'm a Swiss storm chaser and new to this excellent forum.
I was also considering taking the Cingular solution but I'm afraid I'll have to face the same problem as Andrea.
I also purchased through Ebay a Sprint connection card at a reasonable price . I haven't contacted Sprint yet but I'm already worried about the kind of answer I may receive :roll: .
I wish I'd live in Geneva, Nebraska rather than in Geneva, Switzerland!

To Andrea: Buona fortuna! (good luck!)

Originally posted by Dean Gill
Hi everybody,

I'm a Swiss storm chaser and new to this excellent forum.
I was also considering taking the Cingular solution but I'm afraid I'll have to face the same problem as Andrea.
I also purchased through Ebay a Sprint connection card at a reasonable price . I haven't contacted Sprint yet but I'm already worried about the kind of answer I may receive :roll: .
I wish I'd live in Geneva, Nebraska rather than in Geneva, Switzerland!

To Andrea: Buona fortuna! (good luck!)

Thanks a lot! :wink: Buona fortuna anche a te! :D
By the way Sprint connection is not the best....Coverage is quite small and often only in the highway. I think is not the best solution. But if we can't do anything maybe is the only way.

Originally posted by Andrea Griffa

By the way Sprint connection is not the best....Coverage is quite small and often only in the highway. I think is not the best solution. But if we can't do anything maybe is the only way.

Yeah, I'm aware that the Sprint coverage is far from being perfect and I just consider it as complementary to other data access solutions.

Just purchased new GSM service with Cingular and a Samsung x427M phone. It took me less than 5 minutes to setup Cingulars connection manager and tweak my phone to use the "loophole" for data access. It works great, and I'm getting fairly universal 115.2Kbps download speeds. Cingular was running a promotion with free x427M phones with a 2 year contract. I'd certianly suggest it to anyone thinking of signing on with Cingular.

I wish I'd could sign on with Cingular...
I've got a SonyEricsson T610 (GSM 3band) US compatible, so I asked my local Swiss provider if they had a roaming GSM/GPRS agreement with Cingular. The good news are that the answer is yes. And now the bad news: The price is 11.40 CHF (9$ or so) per 1Mb!!!!
Also according to my provider, prices should lower a little bit by... November.

I wish I'd could sign on with Cingular...
I've got a SonyEricsson T610 (GSM 3band) US compatible, so I asked my local Swiss provider if they had a roaming GSM/GPRS agreement with Cingular. The good news are that the answer is yes. And now the bad news: The price is 11.40 CHF (9$ or so) per 1Mb!!!!
Also according to my provider, prices should lower a little bit by... November.

That price is actually better than I expected. Data for Cingular customers without a data feature is $10 per MB, and $10 per MB if you run over your limit.

Skip,
I'm just a little bit curious, I've noticed with surprise the Swiss cross and the "CH" (Confoederation Helvetica) sticker on your car; do you have Swiss ancestors?

Skip,
I'm just a little bit curious, I've noticed with surprise the Swiss cross and the \"CH\" (Confoederation Helvetica) sticker on your car; do you have Swiss ancestors?

Yes, I do have some (rather distant) Swiss ancestors. I visited the country, mainly Luzern, in 2000, and fell in love with it. Beautiful country and nice people. I'd love to go back someday.

Anyway, I saw all the Swiss proudly displaying their nationality with the CH stickers, so I had to get one for the shibster (and a few other decals).

Back