Cell phones

Unknown data? Never heard of that 'error'... That's what WinXP is yielding when you try to dial? Do you have the correct modem initialization string? Did you "query the modem" before trying to dial?

You have to set up a new connection and dial through WinXP. Go to Network Connections >> Add a new connection, and go from there You do need a driver that is somewhere on the Motorola website... Then you just need to add a special modem initialization string (Google that one), and 'query modem' before dialing. Once this is done initially, you only need to go to Network Connections, select the connection (I named mine Cingular GPRS), and hit 'dial'. There are some posts that describe this in more detail on howardforums.com and pdaphonehome.com ...

I take it you guys added the MEdia Works over the phone? I tried doing it over Cingular's website, and the page is reporting some sort of system error. Guess I will try calling them...

Skip, yeah, I added through Customer Service on the phone.

AM

I don't know anything about Verizon, Andrea. How much are you paying for data? What kind of speeds are you getting? How good is the coverage? Any contracts required? Does it use your minutes?

Skip
I took Verizon contracts with wireless plan last year: I don't know how much this year. If I can give you an advice, see directly the site:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/index.jsp

About speed I remeber that connection in the laptop wasn't the fastest in the world :lol: but was quite good to download radar and sat in a acceptable time(about 56K speed).

Instead about coverage, things were not enough:this is the link of the coverage map of Verizon.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/images_b2c/...l_access/na.gif

As you can see, coverage territory is very small but is ampler than at&t for example. But with a so small coverage, you have to make your chasing target, taking the best coverage zone in consideration and because of this, sometimes you can remain too much far away from the right zone of the convection developing. Cingular looks like mor bigger than this, isn't it?

Andrea, I'm afraid I'm no help on this either. I know nothing about Verizon, and only became a Cingular customer last week.

Mi dispiace! :)

Amos

Amos,
No problem (non fa niente!) :lol: Do you speak something italian?

About contract length for cingular it's 2 years: according to you can I make the conrtact also if I stay in USA for only a month?Mmmmmmmm....

Anyway I wait some news from you about cingular before may when I and Fabio will come in tornado alley :wink:

About contract length for cingular it's 2 years: according to you can I make the conrtact also if I stay in USA for only a month?Mmmmmmmm....

Andrea, I don't know the answer to this.

I think the best thing to do is call Cingular Customer Service and find out about these provisions before you come to the US. Their number is 1-800-331-0500.

They will know a lot more than I do! :D

While this probably isn't true for all companies, it was interesting and may be of some use for our international friends...

My in-laws just got back from a trip to Mexico. They were interested in using their cell phones down there rather than pay $XX per minute from the hotel. They are on a plan from Verizon, including the "IN" plan where they have mobile to mobile free calling. Anyway, they were able to use their phones in Mexico with NO ROAMING and NO LONG DISTANCE for a one month fee of $20. It also allowed them to use their "IN" program to keep tabs on each other while down there.

I'm not sure what other companies offer something like this for short-term international travel, but it would be worth looking into.

Tim

I researched the cingular loophole and the $19.95 data phone upgrade - seems that cingular is hip to this and ends up billing people for all the overages $$$$ in data usage - they say that you must pay the $79. fee for data to laptop to avoid this costly mistake
he says some might get away with it but says that cingular is aware and watching for it - go figure
additionally they said that getting data from your cell phone to your lap top is faster using a cable and even faster if you plumb the phone with a clear rf connect link with a tnc connector (Im using the motorolla v400 no longer available)

I researched the cingular loophole and the $19.95 data phone upgrade - seems that cingular is hip to this and ends up billing people for all the overages $$$$ in data usage - they say that you must pay the $79. fee for data to laptop to avoid this costly mistake
he says some might get away with it but says that cingular is aware and watching for it - go figure
additionally they said that getting data from your cell phone to your lap top is faster using a cable and even faster if you plumb the phone with a clear rf connect link with a tnc connector (Im using the motorolla v400 no longer available)

It's a LOOPHOLE. It is not a violation of any service agreement and therefore not illegal or even annoying. They could stop it anytime they want by using port-blocking. They haven't because it's a VERY limited number of people who do it and so it doesn't tax the system much. It's nice to keep quiet about something like this and use it for as long as you can. It's not something they're going to help you set up. There aren't any brochures. It's safe to say that Cingular would rather you send them $80 per month than $20.

Let me find my dead horse beating baton, hehe.

First of all, Bill what is your source? Is this from a forum somewhere or from a Cingular guy. Remember, Cingular is the enemy here and of course they are going to tell you that you will be charged overages and need the $80 plan. I could also see someone using the wrong network (Laptop data instead of media works) and getting charged by the kilobyte. When you bend the system like this you have to pay attention. Finally, as I've said it in the beginnning, you probably can't go crazy with this connection. I'm sure downloads in moderation (a few MB on this chase, a few MB on another a few days later) will go completely undetected.

From the sound of it Cingular is aware of the situation, like you said, Bill. However, I doubt they are going to go around chasing loose ends. They are going to put out this fire from the source, and that means a more costly media works alternative. The conclusion: media works looks good for now. Make use of it while we still have it. Use it wisely.

The coverage map looks pretty good, minus the large lack of coverage west of an ICT - SAL line (and much of IA)... It is slowly getting better, however. According to an interview I read, Cingular is aiming to get about 50% of the former ATT Wireless towers over to Cingular by the end of 2005, with the remaining over to Cingular by end of 2006. If I'm not mistaken, ATTWS do have towers in western KS, so we should be able to use those (as Cingular customers) in a couple of years.

EDGE appears to be spreading nicely. Unfortunately, they're spending massive amounts of money to put out EDGE service (their 2.5G offering), while also developing and installing the next-gen UMTS service in a few test cities. If only they could skip a generation (2.5G) and spend that money an adopting UMTS. But I suppose they'd be 'behind the game' for a year or two, despite ending up way ahead of the game later down the road... Now, if only my new MPX220 had EDGE capabilities...

Back