Cell phones

Amos and others, keep us posted on whether or not this works for you and how Cingular responds. I know many of us are going to be using this loophole as our primary data option out in the field this spring. Rumor has that excessive downloading over the media works plan may prompt an upgrade to one of the more expensive data plans. But who knows how much excessive is or if Cingular will even notice at all. I would like to use this data all the time (commuting and trips), but Im cautious since Im basically exploiting the system.

As long as you don't use the GPRS/cell combo as your PRIMARY data retrieval source for everday web browsing, you'll be okay I think. The fact of the matter is that Cingular provides an unlimited data plan with phones that can tether. If they were really that concerned about it, they'd disable the tethering features in the phones they sell, or atleast not sell phones that have this capability. Heck, the instructions on how to use your phone as a GPRS modem are in the phone's instruction manual, so it's not a secret or manipulation of the system. They know people do it, but it's not advertised by Cingular because it's much more profitable to charge people $79.99 for unlimited data.

I should get my phone tomorrow and my Bluetooth adapter on Tuesday or Wednesday. So by the end of the week I'll have a sense of how it works. Some other friends have called Cingular and heard all kinds of different answers about this; it's amazing that they can't keep their own data plan information straight.

Somebody pointed out a moment ago that nowhere on their website do they mention the option for a $19.99 add-on for unlimited data.

Amos

Tonight I've successfully configured a connection between my Nokia 6820 and laptop via Bluetooth and am surfing at 115kbps, which is more than sufficient for my chasing needs.

I tip my hat to Jeff Snyder, whose info was INCREDIBLY valuable and who probably saved me the hassle and expense of a PC data card. First beer is on me.

I've read about every post on Howards Forums concerning "tethering," (connecting phone to computer), and it seems that in the case of Cingular, there could be some importance to what you specify for the GPRS modem settings. I'm on shaky ground here, but from what I've read, if you use "isp.cingular" rather than "wap.cingular", you might go outside what is 'provisioned' in the MEdia Works unlimted package for $19.99.

I have tried both tonight and they connect equally as fast. I have noted the data amounts and connect times to match against my bill so I can see which is the better choice.

Can anyone else confirm that wap.cingular is the smarter setting to use?

Again, thanks, Jeff.

Amos

Yes Amos, wap.cingular is for MEdia Works and isp.cingular is for the more costly laptop data options. Be careful using isp.... cingular might charge overages.

Yes Amos, wap.cingular is for MEdia Works and isp.cingular is for the more costly laptop data options. Be careful using isp.... cingular might charge overages.

That was my impression from reading the posts on Howards. I'm sticking with the wap.cingular now and will scan my online bill to see if the data I pulled from isp.cingular shows up. Didn't use too much, maybe 200k. I'll post the results back here.

Man, I can't get over how cool the conneciton is, and all without wires. I can keep the cell phone safely tucked away.

Skip's answer concerning Cingular access points is confirmed by a Cingular technician posting to the Howards Forum thread located here.

OK here's the skinny for all you who are wondering how the MW and DC plans work. Basically if you use the ISP.CINGULAR APN for anything, you are connecting through the DC proxy, and will get the accelerated speeds. If you connect through the WAP.CINGULAR APN, you are connecting through the WAP proxy, and will get roughly 70k-90k (kbps) with EDGE. Here's the catch. If you use the ISP.CINGULAR APN and don't have the unlimited DC on your plan, you will get charged per mb of usage. If you use the WAP.CINGULAR APN with the MW package, you will not get charged for usage. As far as the MW package going away, I believe this is true, but there is supposedly a new package coming out with the TREO 650 that will be around $29.99 for unlimited PDA usage. You should be able to get this plan for tethering. Hope this helps.

Chris

Guys, a little question:

Seeing coverage map of cingular you can see orange area and red area. What do you think about orange area?Does connection work in orange area or it's like orange area of Verizon(extended network) in wich connection didn't work?
And about red area?Does connection work?

If connection work in whole the orange area it looks so much interesting: the coverage is bigger than Verizon one.

Thanks

Guys, a little question:

Seeing coverage map of cingular you can see orange area and red area. What do you think about orange area?Does connection work in orange area or it's like orange area of Verizon(extended network) in wich connection didn't work?

If connection work in whole the orange area it looks so much interesting: the coverage is bigger than Verizon one.

Andrea, I'm not sure what coverage map you're using, but even if I did I couldn't answer the question because I haven't used my phone outside Bloomington, Indiana yet. :D

I'm not sure which connection you're asking about either. Do you mean only the basic voice connection? The EDGE network?

The only red/orange map I've seen lately have been for data coverage... in which case it outlines the GPRS data area and the (enhanced, though less widespread) EDGE data area.

Guys, a little question:

Andrea, I'm not sure what coverage map you're using, but even if I did I couldn't answer the question because I haven't used my phone outside Bloomington, Indiana yet. :D

I'm not sure which connection you're asking about either. Do you mean only the basic voice connection? The EDGE network?

No Amos I did say connection with the laptop to see radar and sat for chasing. I don't know what edge connection want to say. :D Now I'm in Italy but on may I'll came and chasing in tornado alley, so I'm searching for the best internet connection with the best coverage. I hope that when I'm in cingular orange area internet connection works fine and I can see radar and sat on my laptop.
Am I right? :)

Andrea,

I don't know.

There are so many factors involved, like what phone you have, how the phone is connected to the laptop, and what service plan you have.

I think the safest plan is to call Cingular customer service and ask them detailed questions about your equipment to make sure it will work.

Best,

Amos

Hi all,
I'm Fabio. Andrea and me are chase partners. I already had my chase holiday in 2003 with a Sprint PCS conncection card and in 2004 with Verizion cellphone and data plan. Now we would like to try a Cingular PC card (Sony Ericsson GC83) with unlimited data. I read your messages, checked coverage map (thanks Skip Talbot) and it seems the best way for us. Btw if you have more good advices for two italian rookies :? we'll appreciate your kindness

thank u all

Back