CB Radio

your right, i am blasting out more than 4 watts, i have a peaked and Tuned Midland CB thats makeing 10watts un-amplied off of my 108" whip, and i have a Golden Eagle 150watt Linear amp to assist in handeling that whip, the amp though is only used out of city limits <.< more or less when i'm wheelin' and theres alot of crap between me and the rest of the group, or when i'm on the highway and need to get ahold of a buddy of mine "who doesnt have a phone" and let him know i'm on my way, it's not like i'm doing like that jerk in tulsa and running a 5kw amp on a 1kw base station... and i do have a licence... someware >.< i'll have to hunt that thing down some day

Being a legally operating and licensed Amateur Radio Operator, I can't say I have a very high consideration for CB operators who operate illegally Tony. No personal offense to you, but it does cause all sorts of problems you may never even know about. Not saying your like this, but every CB operator I have ever met that runs illegal power could care less what trouble he's causing anyone else.

Like the guy that drives down the highway in front of my house several times a day with a setup not completely unlike the one you have that blows his audio threw every speaker of anything I happen to have turned on at the time that has a speaker in it VERY LOUDLY.

Quite frankly, it pisses me off every time. I'm just waiting for the day I am on the ham and he blows out my signal. I usually mind my own business with stuff like this, but when it's causing me problems directly, someone's going to be paying some steep FCC fines and missing their equipment.

CB licenses haven't been issued since...what? The 70s?

Why not get a ham license and work on some frequencies where you can work legal and legit and at high power if needed?

i know what you mean man, i'm trying to get the licence for the UHF rig i have sitting in a box here behind my chair, but lately i've had neither the time nor the funding to do thus, and your right man i take extra precautions to make sure that i dont cause any Un-due interferiance with anybodys equipment, though there are a few others that do that just because they think it's funny to show off how much power they can run through a rig and get away with it.. i do know of 3 people that the FCC literally ripped the antennas off of there roof, and made huge holes in said roof, they also confisgated there equipment AND made them pay some Extremely steep fines, one guy had the balls to get another 1kw basestation rig and he's at the same crap again, he thinks that the FCC wont be back to get him again :lol: we've told him, i've personally met with this guy at the CB shop infront of erneys truckwash, and told him, that if he kept up his crap the FCC would pay him another visit, he laughed and said "oh man, i delt with those morons before, no biggie, just had to pay some money, and i got another rig, they dont care solong as they get paid" i walked away... it's 'Tards like that that give the rest of the guys running CB rigs a bad name, i only use a CB because it's hard to be dialing a cellphone when your on a trail ride and keep your eyes and mind focused on what your doin' that's how wrecks happen, UHF rigs and CB rigs allow quick communications between vehicles in a group, chaise or offroad trip, to converse between the others quickly and simoultaniously, i'm not like some guys that are constantly on the CB talking to nothing, i use it when the need arrises, and only when i'm with a group when i'm out wheelin' or just out recording lightning storms, ya' know the basics, and it's no big deal man, i'm not offended:cool: s'all cool man

i dont cause any Un-due interferiance with anybodys equipment, though there are a few others that do that just because they think it's funny to show off how much power they can run through a rig and get away with it..
<snip>
i only use a CB because it's hard to be dialing a cellphone when your on a trail ride and keep your eyes and mind focused on what your doin' that's how wrecks happen, UHF rigs and CB rigs allow quick communications between vehicles in a group, chaise or offroad trip, to converse between the others quickly and simoultaniously, i'm not like some guys that are constantly on the CB talking to nothing, i use it when the need arrises, and only when i'm with a group when i'm out wheelin' or just out recording lightning storms, ya' know the basics,
<previously>

i am blasting out more than 4 watts, i have a peaked and tuned Midland CB thats making 10watts unamlified off my 108" whip, and I have a golden eagle 150 watt linear amp to assist in handling that whip, the amp though is only used out of the city limits more or less when im wheelin and theres alot of crap between me and the rest of the group, or when im on the highway and need to get ahold of a buddy of mine "who doesnt have a phone" and let him know on my way.
So tell me again how you need 150 watts to talk around your group? I do it with non ham chasers on my stock 4 watt Midland 29LTD just fine.

I don't know, if I just need to call my buddy and let him know I am on the way, buying him a phone might be cheaper. FCC has been issuing some heavy fines lately. I dunno, for my money the possible costs aren't worth a few watts, but to each his own.

BTW, the maximum sentence upon conviction for illegal CB use is $75,000 and a year in the Federal Penitentiary, plus a $500/day fine for each day the violation took place. FCC regs 95.421

BTW, getting a ham license is FREE. There is a $14.00 paperwork fee that goes to the VECs giving the test. That is all. Also, Amateur Radio is MUCH more than just UHF.

It is a better idea to have multiple communications options open, than to blast out 150 watts of anything. Mostly, from my experience (maybe this is just my way of chasing), but I need to receive information a lot more than I need to transmit it. In my truck, I have a Uniden PC68LTW CB at legal 4 watts, a Radio Shack HTX-252 ham radio at 25 watts, a Motorola Maxtrac UHF programmed to GMRS at 25 watts, a Nextel i670 for phone and DC, and a scanner to hear anything I might have missed. I think the last time I transmitted on anything besides the Nextel was around a year ago.

Dude, you may have noticed I put the wattage allowances of my gear up. 4 watts on 27MHz is enough for CB, 25 watts on VHF and UHF will get you into any repeater in your region, and guess what?

It will do it without giving you cancer and blowing up your neighbor's TV.

I would just as soon we delete this topic of ILLEGAL use of a radio. This is ILLEGAL everywhere in the USA.

-John

I would just as soon we delete this topic of ILLEGAL use of a radio. This is ILLEGAL everywhere in the USA.

-John

Why? There are many things illegal open for discussion. Someday everything will be illegal anyways then we wont have nothing to talk about... lol

I think its good to discuss all options out there, the impact, the pitfalls, the legality.. etc..

:)

Quite frankly, it pisses me off every time. I'm just waiting for the day I am on the ham and he blows out my signal. I usually mind my own business with stuff like this, but when it's causing me problems directly, someone's going to be paying some steep FCC fines and missing their equipment.
I completely feel your pain. We had a neighbor a few years back who had a very dirty amp on his CB. It blasted all the HF ham bands and made it impossible to hear anything while he was transmitting. I heard him bragging one day about it on the radio, how many watts he was running. The sad part is that people he was talking to were just across town, something that could easily be done on VHF/UHF with low power. Even his next door neighbor approached me asking what he could do about it as it was getting into his TV/stereo. I had enough and wrote an email to the FCC. They sent out 2 letters to the guy and amazingly the interference ceased. :D That made me feel really glad to be a ham. If you can get the vehicle information from the illegal guy as he's driving by, I'd report him to the FCC. Alot of truckers have actually become hams and work the HF bands without amps. So I definitely recommend to the OP that he get his ham license and just keep the CB to non-amp operation. :)

okay, i'll be one for dropping the subject with the rest of ya'll, and sorry i wasnt meaning to hijack the thread about the WXWORX:eek: and i have another question just real quick, why is it that when i try to connect from home i'm unable to access this website? i'm at a friend of mines house right now useing his Internet Connection to talk to ya'll, the error i keep getting is "Error403 too many connections"

<snip>
<previously>

So tell me again how you need 150 watts to talk around your group? I do it with non ham chasers on my stock 4 watt Midland 29LTD just fine.

I don't know, if I just need to call my buddy and let him know I am on the way, buying him a phone might be cheaper. FCC has been issuing some heavy fines lately. I dunno, for my money the possible costs aren't worth a few watts, but to each his own.

BTW, the maximum sentence upon conviction for illegal CB use is $75,000 and a year in the Federal Penitentiary, plus a $500/day fine for each day the violation took place. FCC regs 95.421

BTW, getting a ham license is FREE. There is a $14.00 paperwork fee that goes to the VECs giving the test. That is all. Also, Amateur Radio is MUCH more than just UHF.

at the end of this month i'm actually going to go and take a few classes for my Ammiture licence, then i'm going to take the test, a freind of mine is going to help me study for the final exam that is given at the end of the classes, hopefully if all goes right i'll have my licence by either the beginning or the middle of next month

Back