Car Troubles

Yes, obviously. I would have said "American" cars, but then someone would cite front-wheel drive cars again. I guess you have to word things like a lawyer nowadays to not be misunderstood.

Indeed...I failed to notice the model of car. Doesn't anybody drive older cars anymore? Even though, the '92 Paseo still has a small shaft to "drive" it. Not as long as RWD vehicles obviously, but it passes as a drive shaft nonetheless.
Since I had a CV joint/assembly replaced, I believe to a mechanic this is work I have had done on the "drive axel".[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
I would inspect your spark plugs and wires. You might be getting a misfire occasionally that you are only noticing when the car is under a load (accelerating or going uphill). Always check the cheapest stuff and go from there.
I had some cylinders miss firing a year or two ago, and I have had done what you mentioned. When the car did this in the past it became more sluggish. However, I don’t notice anything like that now.

You had mentioned that a motor mount had been replaced. Do you know wich one was replaced? Also, is there a specific gear or engine RPM you are in or at for that specific speed? If it is occouring all the time regardless of engine RPM or gear you could rule out for the most part any type of engine problem (electrical, ignition, ect).
It happens regardless of RPM or gear.

Some of the usual culprits look like they've already been covered, but I would suggest getting the alignment checked and have the steering system gone over for wear/play. Some other items to check would include the brakes and suspension.
I did have the brakes checked recently too. The brakes are fine, I asked the mechanic if an alignment would help for the vibration. He said it would not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even though, the '92 Paseo still has a small shaft to "drive" it. Not as long as RWD vehicles obviously, but it passes as a drive shaft nonetheless.

Actually no, while they do appear to serve the same function, the mechanics of how a CV Shaft operates are vastly different than an old style drive shaft. It's like comparing supercell storms to non-supercell storms. They may have similarities, but they are different animals.

Sorry, it's the old auto-tech coming out in me. :)

He's right, assuming the shop replaced the CV Shaft assembly (with both CV joints on it) that would have taken care of that being the problem (assuming he replaced both sides). Most shops won't just replace the joint any more, rather the whole assembly. It's less time consuming and less costly than just replacing a joint. I used to replace those day in and day out. It's soooo much easier to change out the whole assembly.

Have you tried moving the front tires to the back and vise versa. If you do that and the vibration changes or "moves" in the car, you definitely have a tire and/or wheel issue.

He's right, assuming the shop replaced the CV Shaft assembly (with both CV joints on it) that would have taken care of that being the problem (assuming he replaced both sides). Most shops won't just replace the joint any more, rather the whole assembly. It's less time consuming and less costly than just replacing a joint. I used to replace those day in and day out. It's soooo much easier to change out the whole assembly.

That's correct. On the reciept it says they replaced right cv shaft assembly.

Have them check the left one as well. Typically these are a longer shaft and more prone to vibration issues (usually because the inner joint is failing). It usually is most noticable during periods of heavier load (like going uphill) or higher speeds.

Back