• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Campo, CO Speedtrap

It always stinks to get a speeding ticket, not only because of the fine, but the inevitable hike in insurance rates that follows. I understand where you're coming from Kevin and even though we can take our medicine like a man, it doesn't make it anymore enjoyable once you pull away from the roadside. Every time I got caught speeding the trooper and/or policeman's readout was really close to how fast I was actually going. I got an 86 in a 75 on I-70 in 2011, but before that my last ticket was in 1994, so it's an infrequent event for me. I'd have to say the town of Campo needs a new mayor based on the article, with a goal of finding other sources of municipal income streams versus speeding tickets as the primary source they rely on. That seems really short sighted to me.

Ya it does. I think Campo is different on that sense though. They have a crooked mayor...maybe the tickets really are the only way money is getting in though

An interesting read on the home of one of my favorite tornado videos ever. Chasers be aware.

http://gawker.com/one-police-officer-makes-93-percent-of-colorado-towns-b-1701529145
I was in Campo, Co on May 31st, 2010 for that tornado. I don't get why they don't just go in with Springfield and a couple of the other smaller towns to fund the operations for the whole county. It is not like they have that much else to do. There is a lot of room for tax revenues from property owners in the county. I frequented the county when I lived in SW Kansas working the oil field. I had a wreck out there south of a town, I can't remember the name of it, and there was no response at all from a deputy. I wrecked about 9:30 in the morning and I was still there after 5pm and no deputy even came and they were called by a lady that ended up giving a ride into town where I could call my employer and tell them what happened.

Well, if he really is allowing everyone to exceed the posted limit by 10 mph before issuing a citation, which is fairly generous for an incorporated area, then they either really do have an excessive speeding problem or there's a very sudden and immediate speed reduction that is not properly marked, which in Illinois would make it an illegal speed trap.

A total of 400 tickets in a calendar year really doesn't sound that excessive to me (that's an average of less than two citations per day), especially for village police officers whose primary duties are usually relegated to traffic enforcement due to a low call volume for other illegal activities.

Google Earth it. It's not a speed trap by any means. It's an incremented drop from 65-30 over the course of a mile and a half. Not a single speed limit sign is obscured, smaller than average (in fact they look larger than average), or more than a 10mph drop from the previous sign, and no two signs are less than 1/4 mile apart (FAR wider than the minimum 100 feet required by CO law). What it boils down to is people driving through there are just stupid.

Back