Bushnell ONIX400: GPS, Satellite Imagery, and XM Weather

The newly-announced Bushnell ONIX400 is the first hand-held unit to offer GPS navigation, georeferenced color satellite imagery, and XM Weather NEXRAD imagery all on one screen:

XM_weather.jpg

... I have yet to see this device myself, but it looks like an interesting, portable solution for XM NEXRAD imagery. I particularly like the color satellite imagery layer, which can help further pinpoint storm features. The weather seems limited to radar, so satellite weather maps are not an option, but <30 minute watches and warnings are included. I no longer enjoy carrying a laptop in the car, so the fact this device is so portable is really appealing to me. The screen is 3.5", a tad small, but it could serve as a nice dash-mounted radar.

The only thing I'm really suspicious about are the base maps. In order to add satellite imagery to the unit, you have to purchase credits at the Bushnell Store, then spend the credits on maps. Or, for $79US you can download all you want. Any company which doesn't post a price up front is typically expensive, right? So I'll have to ask them what it would cost to cover the Great Plains.

I think I'd be completely sold if visible satellite imagery were available! But without it, the device seems mostly useful for post-initiation, in-chase decisions.

bushnell-onix-400-946.jpg
bushnell-onix-400-945.jpg

(NOTE: Thanks for not quoting this entire post when replying)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think so too, Jody! There's a Cabela's nearby. I'm gonna head down there in the next couple of weeks to try and give it a demo. If I buy it, I'll bring it with me to the convention and let people play around.

After doing more research on this device, it looks like the ONIX400 has a more sleek and compact design than similar devices (namely the Garmin GPSMAP 376C), but the 376C looks to me like it can display much more thorough weather data.

So the ONIX400 may be better if you need hand-held radar, or have a budget cap at $500. Otherwise, the 376C looks better to me now...

I already have Mobile Threatnet, but that thing looks awesome. I was reading about it and saw that you have to pay for XM radio, but does the radar feature come free (without XM subscription)?

So the ONIX400 may be better if you need hand-held radar, or have a budget cap at $500. Otherwise, the 376C looks better to me now...

I didn't know about the Garmin unit. It's very attractive as well. A little big to carry into the backcountry, though. I haven't quite decided if I'd rather have the bigger screen or the easier to carry size. In any case, it's all moot until I get the loot.

Back