Big Tornado Day 2005

May 27th Central Nebraska (the first date and location that popped in my head....stranger things have happened)

March 16th, medium outbreak, AL into GA and SC.

Multiple F3+ May 11th, west TX into south OK; major outbreak, May 23rd, central - northeast KS into southeast NE - west IA - northern MO.

I'll also throw May 29th out there. I graduate from highschool that day...thus, won't be chasing...and it seems great things always happen when I have an important commitment I cant get out of...

I predict a repeat of 1988, the worst year in the history of chasing! :twisted:

(well, we ARE overdue for another really crappy year)

I thought 2002 was regarded as a "really crappy year" by the majority of chasers? There was the June SD day, and the Happy TX day, but other than that, I didn't think there was much at all...

I'm guessing the first day with an F3 or greater will be April 16th... The first High Risk day will be May 2nd...

I thought 2002 was regarded as a "really crappy year" by the majority of chasers? There was the June SD day, and the Happy TX day, but other than that, I didn't think there was much at all...

I'm guessing the first day with an F3 or greater will be April 16th... The first High Risk day will be May 2nd...

It was for some people, others did fairly well. There were storms to get on, if not high tornado counts. 1988 however it was hard to even get a storm with huge freakin ridge in place. Seems like eastern CO or maybe it was KS had a few days some people got some stuff, but from what I have gathered post mortem it pretty much sucked for EVERYONE. I think Tim V. was very active around that time, he prob has a better memory than I do about it. It was a long time ago and I was still very much a young "storm tracker" (what me and my buddy called ourselves back then. Storm Chaser wasn't a term widely used), but it sticks in my mind as being a horrible, discouraging year.

The biggest outbreak next year will be on October 8.....there will be 78 tornadoes from OK to IA.

At least I think that's the day my 10 yr HS reunion will be......

March 18, MO-IL-IN-OH-KY-TN — a once-in-80-years event. (Keep the gas tank full; you may be driving for a while.)

I'll also throw May 29th out there. I graduate from highschool that day...thus, won't be chasing...and it seems great things always happen when I have an important commitment I cant get out of...

I've had tornado days in 1997, 2001, and 2004 on that date. Sounds good to me 8)

March 18, 2005 sounds good. This will be a day when a warm front shoots north into the Great Lakes. High shear and low CAPE make for a nasty event of wildly rotating low-toppers, dropping significant tornadoes from their ragged grungy bases. Nowhere is safe, not even downtown Chicago! There will be near record highs into the mid 80's and dewpoints will be near 70 south of the warm front. (Talk about your global warming! :wink: :wink: :lol: ) Higher CAPE and a slightly stronger cap will allow big isolated photogenic supercells to develop along a trailing cold front and dryline. Backlit wedges against an early sunset. Probanly chaser heaven.

Back