Bad Chasing Behavior Hurting Both NWS and Chaser Image

This topic seems to come up every year. Since we in the chase community are unwilling or unable to band together and find a solution for reckless/foolhardy chasing behavior on our own (is there one?), I'm 100% sure that our government will find a solution for us. That's a prediction you can take to the bank.

A chasing organization will never happen (and I don't want to begin another long, tired discussion of it), but a well-run, professional organization would seperate frequent, serious chasers from Joe Bob Smith who acts stupid around storms.

there was a lot of hooping and hollering
Hate to mention this, as it is unimportant in light of what we're discussing, but the word is spelled whooping.

Newb opinion - I think you should rename it Storm Racing

After recently returning from my first chase during which I followed some well known experienced chasers.........

We were consistently 15mph over just positioning.
When in chase mode I think they were doing 25+mph over - I couldn't keep up nor did I want to.
Passing on blind hills.
Lead vehicle was going through yellows in towns...........

As an auto engineer I have watched too many crash test and investigated enough accident scenes.
Have to be a lot more selective in chase partners in the future.
I hope this was just an isolated incident.

JT

Does speed replace forecasting skill?

I dont know of anyone in the chaser community who gets off on the fact that people lives are in danger, just the shear power of a significant severe weather event.

I think people are too uptight with the aforementioned issue.

As with anything, you must use your best judgement

Re: Newb opinion - I think you should rename it Storm Racing

After recently returning from my first chase during which I followed some well known experienced chasers.........

We were consistently 15mph over just positioning.
When in chase mode I think they were doing 25+mph over - I couldn't keep up nor did I want to.
Passing on blind hills.
Lead vehicle was going through yellows in towns..........

Sounds like a normal day in Denver, to me! :lol:

Chasing

When I'm chasing in Iowa and talk to a law enforcement official (not about getting out of a ticket but about what the storm comming into my area is doing as I'm pulled over safely along side a road) I do state that I'm a mobile spotter for the NWS in Desmoines/Quad Cities (which I am) and a storm chaser for KWWL Channel 7, plus its my hobby/obsession to chase these beautiful giants. I have never used my NWS spotter membership to try and get out of a ticket etc. and wouldn't out of respect for the NWS. I feel it is a TOP PRIORITY to stay in good standing with the NWS by giving them quality storm vidoes for spotter training/severe weather warning verification, excellent storm spotting information and by staying out of trouble while chasing. I am known on a first name basis by many at the Desmoines/Quad Cities NWS offices and am not worried about the few idiots who think they can go 100 mph through small towns, pass lines of cars on the shoulder, etc. As long as I keep keep providing SAFE, RELIABLE, storm chaser videos/spotter information I feel that my reputation and that of other chasers who do the same will be fine while what ever happens to the yahoos will happen, there is nothing I can do about them. I let my ACTIONS judge me. Also, about the chasers/regular folks who were whooping and hollering as they watched a tornado travel through a field, whats wrong with that?? If the tornado is tearing up homes/farms I would frown on that kind of behavior but when a tornado such as this one (as Shane stated above) is not threatening life nor property I see nothing wrong with whooping and hollering, they probably spent a TON of money and traveled very far to see this storm and have earned the right to get a little crazy. :D

Craig, I could be completely wrong here, but I understood that the NWS is not ever directly associated with storm spotter groups in terms of managing them. NWS leaves storm spotter groups and SKYWARN to the emergency management/civil defense of each individual town. Are you saying you volunteer DIRECTLY for the NWS, or do you actually go through your city or county civil defense?

NWS spotter membership
THe NWS gives out spotter membership? Again, please let us know if this is membership in the NWS or your local emergency management.

Not picking on you, Craig, just curious.

In the Twin Cities, MN, there is a non-profit group called Metro SkyWarn that deals with Skywarn spotter operations in much of central and southern Minnesota. This group is not directly associated with the NWS, so again, I wouldn't say that I used to spot for the NWS, I'd say that I was spotting for Skywarn. Even down in central OK, where NWS directly lead skywarn classes, I wouldn't even say I was spotting for the NWS to get out of a ticket, etc.

NWS

I volunteer directly to my local NWS offices. By membership I mean't I am a trained MOBILE storm spotter for the NWS in Desmoines/Quadcities, with a spotter number, etc. Also, I must reiterate the FACT that I have never used my storm spotter position to get out of a ticket etc. and no problem Bryce, I should have made myself more clear about what I was saying, this is a very important thread.

Yes, in central Oklahoma the NWS directly holds spotter classes. But after class is over, if you want to spot for anyone you're going to be spotting for your local EM. The NWS here has directly stated that they do not recruit spotters or manage them. Unless I'm just completely wrong, no one ever spots for the NWS. You spot for your EM, who relays the report to the NWS, but your activity is not sanctioned by the NWS.

lol

Bryce wrote:
no one ever spots for the NWS

I spot for the NWS in Desmoines and the Quad Cities. I am a VOLUNTEER and am not paid. Not that any of this really matters because I have NEVER and will NEVER use my mobile storm spotter position to legally break any laws etc. I'm no more important than anyone else but when I say there is a tornado on the ground they listen to me and the sirens WILL sound.... Also, the MAJORITY of storm spotters both mobile and fixed are excellent people without whom the NWS could not possibly have a well functioning warning system for severe weather, the NWS would be thrown back into the "stone age" even with fancy technology such as doppler radar etc. and death rates from severe weather would probably show a dramatic increase. Many police officers have never attended a storm spotter training class in there life and I've seen plenty run for cover during severe weather instead of spotting for there community so no one is perfect. Just because you have a badge and a gun doesn't mean you know JACK about severe weather. 95% of Storm spotters and chasers should probably be given a "pat on the back" for the outstanding work they do every year FOR FREE and at there own expense, lets not forget this FACT. Not much you can get for free anymore......

I say that was very well put Craig...

I know in northwest Iowa we have a pretty good ham radio spotting network. It is run through the local EM as he is usually the leader asking the spotter's where to move, etc. The local EM is looking at the radar screen as he is at the local radio station...

All of the reports that are recieved by the spotters are usually either quickly called or emailed up to the local NWS that is being affected. It works quite well in my opinion and as far as I know we have never had any problems up here...

Here in WV Spotters are run both by local EM and by the NWS. I have spotted since 1977 directly for the NWS. Only now have I begun working with the local group. The reason for this is this area em's just never cared before. Most countys still have nothing to do with Skywarn.

On those tornadoes in Kansas Thursday, there was some great footage sent to CNN. Unfortunatly, there was a lot of hooping and hollering from these particular chasers (like they were on Spring Break or something) as the the tornado was on the ground. Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone know who they were? Shameful, I think.

First of all I am not 100% sure when I say this. It could have possibly been my video that was shown on CNN as I have found out that it was being distributed pretty widely. I still need to call and check for sure. I did not get a chance to view to see for sure though. In my video there was some emotion being shown when the tornado was on the ground. If it was mine I did not in any way get enjoyment out of people's lives being in danger and I apologize if it offended anyone. I was only in awe of a beautiful tornado that was in open coutry as far as I could tell. If anyone does get enjoyment out of peoples homes being ripped apart then they have no business chasing. I also have seen video numerous times that the media has purposely added audio to try and show a negative side that storm chasers have. In general, anyone in here says that they have not shown any emotion when viewing a tornado is full of it. Once, again I apologize if it was my video and it gave the wrong impression to people.

Darin

I've never been pulled over, especially while spotting/chasing, but I would never use my position as a spotter to get out of a ticket. Of course, I generally like to keep it at or close to the speed limit, just because chasing Michigan requires a bit more caution. However, I am human and I do make mistakes, so you may see me going 5 or close to 10 mph over the speed limit from time to time.

Its just my opinion so bear with me for a minute, but I think the problem with reckless driving may lie with some people not wanting to let the 'big one' go. They try to keep up or get into a better position, but the storm is moving so fast (and most cases not in alignment with the road network) that it still outpaces them. I've had to let a few good storms go when they outpaced me, but at that point its no longer about bagging a tornado, its about safety. Leaving the major road network or speeding excessively to keep up with it has bad news written all over it up where I'm at.

Craig, I am also a volunteer, but at the NWS Sullivan (most people call it Milwaukee). The program I think you are referring to is the STEP/SCEP program which offers high school and college students and opportunity to volunteer and/or get paid and then work their way up through the weather service. Depending on where I go to school, I hope to apply for one of the paid positions somewhere in Central Region...but we shall see.

Back to the topic at hand. First I have a question, didn't Charles Doswell write a good paper on the common courtesies of chasing or how to be a safe chaser? Perhaps everyone should read that, I read it once awhile back and remember it was pretty good.

I certainly hope that those few chasers that are speeding and wreaking havoc stop to think that they do not get an exception from the laws and regulations that everyone else has to abide by, just because they have a camera and a really fast car and because they think they are doing a service to people. If they are so considerate of other people's safety then they certainly wouldn't be pulling these antics as they could kill someone or themselves on the road. If they don't care about people's safety and just want a good shot of a storm, then it amazes me that they would try to pass themselves off as NWS personnel or defenders of public safety. The NWS hasn't and probably won't ever publicly endorse chasing so emergency personnel should probably know this.

Chasing can be frustrating, especially in a slow year, but come on...there comes a point when a chaser can get too reckless and showing no regard for law enforcement (who are just trying to do their job) is just one example.

I should hope this stops soon. :)

...Alex Lamers...

Back