ARCHIVED: National Association of Storm Chasers

To me this seems like a really reasonable idea. I don't know what ever happend to this idea but from reading this thread the consensus seems to be that there was good support for it. With whats going on right now with the Santorum bill it brings to light the danger backdoor legislation can have on our hobby/business. Having a body to help represent us certainly could only help. What do you all think, is this idea still worthwhile? With the annual gathering coming up we really could act on this and at least attempt to create a body which could not only represent storm chasing better but facilitate better education for new chasers and a helping hand in the selling of our materials.

-Scott.

You know... This swirled around last year over some pretty serious allegations made about the "Chaser" community as a whole. Not just members of ST. This idea never really got off the ground. There were a lot of motions, but in the end, it died.

I doubt it will get going again. If it does, I don't expect it to get much further than where it did last year.

That's just my observations from what I've seen here and with others that actually got going for a time.

Didn't realize this topic was even still on the board anywhere.

At the risk of resurrecting this, the reality seems to be that chasers prefer to operate loosely and autonomously, feeling for the most part that nothing or no one is able to interfere with them ... they chase nature's most powerful instrument of destruction, after all ... what can a few legislators or cops possibly do. It's an assumption that this has worked fine so far as it is, so why mess with it. The only thing that will likely affect this thinking is if and when something were to suddenly thrust chasing into the public eye in a powerfully negative way. Last year there were several things that happened which motivated the media to react negatively to the chase community. It can be logically assumed that in time such thinking may become further aggravated if someone with the ability and power decides to focus on what they perceive to be negative.

So at this point we are running a gamble. We are gambling that no one will do something that casts chasers under a pall. We are gambling that no one will get killed or by their actions cause someone else to get killed. As with all gambles, the odds favor that at some point we can expect a loss.

We are also running a gamble that no one comes along now and decides to force this issue in their own way, possibly with an undesirable impact. Since the community has elected to ignore the issue, then the community will have to cope with any result ... including the possibility that someone they do not like or approve of is suddenly given the power and authority to administer things in a way they do not like. It's a choice that people have made for themselves, but again - a gamble. If so-and-so is suddenly elected king storm chaser by the government, for example, and they decide through their organization to force chasers to do whatever they want in order that they might continue chasing, then that organization may one day have the power to do so. Again, it is seems to be the choice of the community that we prefer for things to move in that direction rather than in a controlled direction where we have the voice.

ha

This thread will briefly rise, and just as soon die off. The reality is there are several discussions that are as seasonal as chase times... amber lights, discussions on a particular controversial chaser, now its the time for the storm chase association thing and next up will be chase ethics. This idea will flicker out and again, hibernate....for a season just to be ressurected again....and hibernate.

I had full support for this last year, providing chasers kept their independence... but I know now this will go nowhere. If it somehow by a miracle does, I will support it. For now, I am just waiting to finally get some chasing in :)

. . . the reality seems to be that chasers prefer to operate loosely and autonomously, feeling for the most part that nothing or no one is able to interfere with them. . .

While this is true, there IS a certain amount of positive peer pressure that is exerted by any group in society, and storm chaser's appear to be no exception. No one wants to be labeled a "yahoo" and there are some rules of conduct that go with being considered a real storm chaser that involve some safety and personal responsibility.

There may not be any interest in creating a Good Storm Chaser's Seal of Approval, but it is clearly a benefit to "the community" the fewer yahoos there are out there. That can probably be done best through education (sites such as this) and example, etc. but I think the original motivation for this idea came from a good place. However, organizing storm chasers in this way strikes me a bit like herding cats. :wink:

Without an "official" mouthpiece, the media will grab who they will, and some in the chaser community will catch on to the marketing game faster than others (as in "Twister Sisters"?). Hope that those who do, represent you well.

Darren Addy
Kearney, NE

I agree that there needs to some sort of organization for storm chasing. I am also in agreement with the fact there needs to be some sort of mouthpiece for storm chasers.

major function of chase association

If, after enough support is garnered, and an organization/association does indeed take shape, one of its MAIN objectives certainly should center around the perception of storm chasing as a whole, not only with the public, but especially with law enforcement, etc.

Related to this, I also spend quite a bit of time rockclimbing, which is also viewed by many as a maniacal activity. However, in the climbing community, an organization blossomed (known as the Access Fund) which promotes safe, responsible climbing among its members. They also work on an informal (and sometimes formal) basis with local land managers, etc. to ensure the future of their activity. They have had a great deal of success in opening areas previously closed, and have changed the image of climbing in areas where problems existed.

I can see some parallels here, especially in areas where chasers are not seen in the best light in the law enforcement community. Perhaps there may be some opportunities here to communicate with officials in some areas where animosity does exist at some level. Anything that increases the positive perception of chasing as a serious and responsible hobby can only be a good thing for ALL chasers, regardless whether they are "members" or not.

From that perspective alone, I think the idea is certainly worth investigating, and would be willing to help. -DC

Back