ARCHIVED: National Association of Storm Chasers

National Storm Chasers Association

I definitely support a National Storm Chasers Association, would definitely join and would have no problem doing volunteer work in support of such organization!!

I don't really have any other ideas of my own at the moment, but I would certainly be willing to join such a group and help out in any way possible as time permits.

Originally posted by Jeff Snyder+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeff Snyder)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Tim Vasquez

The main problem I see though is getting volunteer work (and possibly an active leadership). I was part of the core group that started the International Weather Watchers in 1993, and many of us flew out to a founding meeting in Baltimore. Though the numbers swelled into the hundreds, with large annual meetings, the organization died a few years
Tim

Tim...

We could hold the annual meeting at Rocky's place! Let's just replace the "Storm Chaser party" with "Storm Chaser Meeting" ... and hold elections there! LOL .. Granted the Nat'l Storm Chaser Conference has done quite well, I'm told, the past couple of years too... I think if we can combine it with one of these two high-profile (relatively lol) and popular gatherings, we wouldn't have a problem with dwindling numbers...[/b]

Of all the reasons not to do this, there's the biggest one........conventions are taking over what used to be fun-filled, intimate gatherings centered around entertainment, not education. The Colorado chaser party used to be one of the best in existence, but it's been ruined by the annual convention which is all business and learning. To eliminate Rocky's party and turn it into some political dogshow would basically erase all chase parties, period.

I was going to keep my mouth shut (as requested by Chris [thread-starter]), but I have to step up to the plate for the sake of FUN in chasing. Let's not ruin our last venue of FUN by turning it into another convention/election full of nothing but speakers and merchants pimping gear.

If you elect a Board of Directors, have the election held annually
and individuals should have a term limit of a year or two. This way
you can have new people involved with different ideas every year
and you avoid it becoming elitism.

Mike

Agreed. 2 years, maximum. Im sure there are enough experienced, level headed veteran chasers out there willing to step up to the plate.

Originally posted by mikegeukes
If you elect a Board of Directors, have the election held annually
and individuals should have a term limit of a year or two. This way
you can have new people involved with different ideas every year
and you avoid it becoming elitism.

Mike

Tim V.'s post was similar, and this would likely be necessary.

I also agree with Shane's point here. While a need for an organization exists in my mind, this HAS to be fun in the process. While we are doing this for "business" reasons, no one wants to be a part of something that isn't fun. That is why we chase after all, right? If all of us here made big $$$ chasing, then it may be a different story.

I'm a part of numerous volunteer organizations, and I must say that if they weren't any fun, I wouldn't sacrifice my time. Because they are fun, and support a good cause, I devote more time to them than I probably should :)

In keeping with the goal of the thread per Chris' instructions - I'll start a separate debate thread in the everything else room to give a voice to any concerns, which are certainly worth considering.

For those that enjoy this type of thing...a great way to win points with the general population is through the kids. 2-3 people that are willing to go to schools and put on a demo could do alot of good for the chase community. I have had several teachers recently ask if I would be willing to put on some type of program. This is wonderful PR, and could possibly be coordinated with the NWS and local Emergency Management offices.

I love that too, Chris - I've done it with a kindergarten and 1st grade class ... and it's a ton of fun to get the kids' reactions (and hear their questions - hilarious). Anyway, they love the video and are really interested usually. Then parents tell me they talk about tornadoes for days afterward ...

Originally posted by Chris Sokol
For those that enjoy this type of thing...a great way to win points with the general population is through the kids. 2-3 people that are willing to go to schools and put on a demo could do alot of good for the chase community. I have had several teachers recently ask if I would be willing to put on some type of program. This is wonderful PR, and could possibly be coordinated with the NWS and local Emergency Management offices.
I agree. My sons school asked me if I might be interested in doing something when they do their weather module next year. I think its an excellent idea.

I'm all for this as long as its not elitism.

Melissa

I too, think that's a wonderful outreach. Who knows how far that can develop!!

I would be all for it as well. There are chasers out there who care enough about their community to help educate them and show that chasers are there as an asset to their community during storm season providing assistance and information. Along with the off-season education and preparedness. Not all chasers are in it for the "ME, ME, ME" factor!

I would help out in any capacity that I could be of help in.

Back