ARCHIVED: National Association of Storm Chasers

I'm in it for ME. I don't work my ass off all year to spend my Spring worrying about every Tom Dick & Harry that I pass by while on the road persuing convective love.

Why do I have to be obligated to "give back to the community"? What am I taking from it? I chase a phenomenon that's there anyway, regardless of me. I buy gas, snacks, and occasionally (unfortunately) line the pockets of local mechanics. Who the hell is anyone to say I need to give something back? For what? For being seen as such a menace (while doing a good deed) that online forums get crowded up with posts about starting organizations to stop the negative perception of chasers?

I'm out there on my own. I make it happen, I pay the way, I drive the miles. I don't need to be given a guilt trip about how, after all I sacrifice to chase, I still need to think about the other guy...screw the other guy. I'm out there busting my ass to do something I love....and there is NO ONE who is gonna sit here and tell me I need to give back anything to anyone.

And anyone who feels the need to bitch or argue this point, next year go spend your $3000 grand and let someone else lead you around by your coattails.......then come tell me about giving back.

This is becoming less a forum about chasing and more like an online tupperware party.

While browsing this thread; a word that stuck an annoying chord jumped out at me... "elections". There have been several "groups" in the past five years, one of which is in existence (serving no real purpose besides furthering individual egos), that have adhered this format. All have failed due to interpersonal conflict within the "organization" (I have organizations in quotes because it's really only an organization within the individual minds whom control it). While long standing organizations such as the American Meteorological Society, National Weather Association - and well, any basic form of government adheres to this format... I foresee problems within this tightkint group of individuals (storm chasers/wx. enthusiasts in general). Someone's feelings will get hurt (just look at these forums, and old school listservs such as WX-CHASE), a huge flamewar will result, and everything will be back at square-one dejavu again.

Disagree with me if you'd like; that's what these discussions are for; but be forewarned from an individual whom has watched this *exact* situation develop and transpire repeatedly over the past ten years... there will be problems within this "association" unless carefully managed; but eventually, there will be conflict ... that's storm chaser culture and human nature!

My opinions only.

..Blake..

As everyone knows, I do not chase at this moment, but I hope to one day. If this association were to get started, I would volunteer my time to help with the paperwork/office type duties (writing and seding out memos, scheduling appts, keeping track of membership, etc.) that would be involved so others could be out actually chasing. At this moment in my life, I have a pretty laid back schedule. I only work 2 1/2 days per week. Travel would be a problem, but with the internet, I could do quite a bit from home.

In any organization that develops there is a risk for "problems". This goes for religion (church splits), non profit orginizations, political parties, government, small business, large business, and even online forums. Its a fact of life with any and everything that is started.

The equation that causes failure in this situation is the inability to look at the big picture. Could things like this happen in a new association? of course! should that stop us from trying? If so, then there should never be any new associations/businesses/etc if there is fear of this. If we cannot look past hurt feelings and maintain looking at our vision and goals, then I would venture to say that those types do not belong in business anyway. I'm sure we would know better, considering the passion about what we do, to maintain professionalism in every circumstance.

Shy - thank you for the offer ... it's very nice when people have a willing attitude. As it is, the administration process would be very simple ... at work I'm able to maintain all the paperwork for several similar organizations in just a very small part of my workweek, so I really appreciate the offer but that end should be covered pretty easily. The real job actually comes in marketing and business management aspects of things. As the attorney I spoke with said - 'the legal end of these deals is simple ... anyone can do it.'

If it does get done at some point in the future, I'm sure all of us can find things we can do to help out - just keep that attitude alive. :)

I wish I knew more about marketing

I've gained some small experience in working with a Semi-Pro Football team. I've done a lot of their promo materials and graphics and sent out news blurds to all the local Newspapers and Radio Stations. If you think that would help in some small way, I can certainly give a go at it.

John

I have over 7 years of combined sales and marketing experience, and hundreds of hours of sales training in most aspects. Though not at the level required for mgt. of the entity, I am more than willing to volunteer my services and training for the cause.

I support this fully. If this gets under way, I will do anything that I can,even though i'm just 13 1/2. Whatever I can do, I will do. That I can promise you.

I just have one question: Will there be age limits?

Obviously some people think this is a terrible idea. Okay. Some people think there will be problems with it. Definitely. But some of the emotional reactions in this and in other threads seem very strange.

If you don't like the idea, ignore it. If you don't want to read about it, don't come into the "Storm Chasing Association" section of the website. I can't understand what's to be gained by attacking the idea and pointing out all the possible pitfalls. Every human endeavor contains the risk of failure, right? As chasers, don't we know that better than anyone?

As far as I can tell there are no 'secret' motivations on the part of people trying to organize this. They're not out to damage chasing, or change anyone else's experience.

Maybe I've fallen behind from not having read every post the last 48 hours, but from what I can tell, all this Association would do is (1) promote the positive aspects of chasing to media, EM personnel, and law enforcement through press releases and web-based info and (2) expose new chasers to various ideas about chasing safely and responsibly.

Can someone tell me how in the hell those ideas are threatening to anyone? That's about as benign and harmless a mission as I can imagine for ANY organization.

PS: I should add to this that I'm not in favor of elections for anything other than a board of directors that would change annually with NOBODY serving more than one term at a time. And those directors would be expected to maintain the site, write the releases, etc etc---WITHOUT PAY. So basically a volunteer position that would require some work. No presidents or chairpeople or Prime Ministers or Secretary of Thayer County, Nebraska. There are plenty of paths for an ego trip in and around stormchasing and this shouldn't be another one. All this should be, in my opinion, is a clearinghouse for POSITIVE news about chasing. That's it.

Maybe we can all agree that, at this point, we don't even know what we're arguing about. There are no specifics on the table, no details or formal plans to accept, reject, or debate. All we're debating now are theoretical ideas of what something like this might look like, and those who in general don't like the idea come up with the worst case scenario, and people like me come up with the best case scenario, but neither is particularly grounded in reality.

Would it make more sense to get a few specific ideas on the table first, then decide if they're good or bad? A few people are working on this, myself included, not because we want to be 'in charge' but because we want to get opinions on specific ideas. It's very difficult for opponents to assail ambiguity, then have supporters respond with more ambiguity--all of it pulled out of the air.

Are people willing at least to look at some specifics in a few days and keep an open mind until then?

Looks like I may have initially posted this in the wrong section. Here it is again:

You know I think it just comes down to a few action minded people (chasers) deciding if they want to create an organization or not. Someone has to come forward. I mean I could create an association (for instance) and then it's success would just depend on whether others joined it or not, and if they participate, etc.

Who or what entity provided for SkyWarn's creation and mandate? Was it just a bunch of public or government?

I see one of the main potential benefits of a national chaser org would be that it would eventually be a recognized and documented entity that people and government officials (read law enforcement) as well as local spotters would recognize. Being a member of this recognized org might allow chasers to call in reports of weather with less doubt than currently given to Skywarn members, and local law might consider us part of the 'has business being here' crowd. That distinction could then separate many of the more involved chasers from just locals that come out and cause traffic jams and problems for instance.

Obviously the association would have a charter and a mission. What would they be? Here's a few thoughts:

1) Establishment of a National Chaser Association
2) Guidelines and accepted rules of behavior that members are required to swear and adhere to.

Generally the guidelines would be that we conduct chases in a sane fashion with not endangering the public and not breaking the law. We wouldn't be required to call stuff in, but the association would facilitate identification of trained chaser reports possibly by a member number. This would be explained to NWS, and they would provide buy in.

There might be recommendations about helping those in need, etc but not necessarily requirements. In other words I want it to be a vehicle for credibility and public recognition for media exposure but not a millstone around the neck of chasers as a set of required rules.

Anyway, those are some of my brief thoughts...above. It kind of reminds me of AOPA for private pilots. They are like a special interest lobby group for pilots before government and also are spokespeople for the General Aviation enthusiast - supporting GA and helping to keep laws and public opinion in favor of GA.

Another cool thing is the AOPA org gets discounts for it's members from hotels, and air fare, etc.

I'm not totally convinced, but I think if there was such an organization that I might consider joining it.

Storm Chasing Association

I support this too mostly for the reasons given. It would not be some hierarchy or dictatorship and I believe it should be held with a similar regard as Stormtrack has done for forums. Another bonus (along the lines of media) is a voice back to the media instead of 200 e-mails with varying opinions. I think as a benefit, there is the protection to new chasers and the chasing community. Promoting safety and suggesting that those considering chasing really give it serious thought.

As an aside, I would also support having experienced chasers heading up the group. However, including the opinions of a couple of chasers with 5 or fewer years of chasing would provide diverse opinions. Those folks could be chosen (by others) to represent. I also agree that leaving this forum open for more views (even if the idea is tabled) may yield more input and therefore more areas of consideration which could increase universal chaser support.

Back