• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

APRS still not working?

It's not so much flipping an on/off switch as it is trying to fix an issue where the underlying issue is not readily apparent. If you've seen some of the other threads on the issue, you'll note that John has been on the record as saying they don't know why it's not working, and have to this point been unable to find the underlying cause.

Placefiles can be put together that can limit SN icons shown on GRL3, so it can be set to only show the ones you want shown, as long as they're running their SN beacon via another means.

I don't believe anyone doubts that it hasn't been a difficult process the past few years and yes the threads have been followed (I started many of them ;)). I'm just happy that APRS>SN has shown signs of life recently.

That definitely wasn't directed at you, Mark. And even though I'm not involved on the SN side of things, I definitely appreciate you keeping tabs on when it is and isn't working.

I was making more of a general statement for the benefit of those who haven't been following the saga as closely as you and I have.

Looks like another service interruption.
I am new to the Spotters Network and relatively familiar with APRS I have never seen a report or beacon generated from radio. Am I missing something? It seems like there are no recent activity for this program?

Last edited:
I am new to the Spotters Network and relatively familiar with APRS I have never seen a report or beacon generated from radio. Am I missing something? It seems like there are no recent activity for this program?

APRS is used to report location only. However, the location service works haphazardly due to various reasons known to man. It’ll work for six months at a time a then go on the brink until someone looks into it.

APRS is used to report location only. However, the location service works haphazardly due to various reasons known to man. It’ll work for six months at a time a then go on the brink until someone looks into it.

Thanks for the insight I guess I'll just kick back and see how it goes. As log as the comment field contains "!SN¡" it doesnt matter if there is other text, right?

I have been using APRSDroid for years with a !SN! comment on SN successfully. I'm currently not seeing my location info on the Spotter Network even though APRS.fi doesn't have any issues updating my locations. We need a go-to location on the Spotter Network that displays the current status of APRS !SN! and even the other methods i.e. Radarscope, etc. It is not always obvious pursing the forums what the current status is due to the ages of the posts. I'm assuming that APRS with the !SN! comment is currently DOWN again on SN. Is my assumption correct?

I have been using APRSDroid for years with a !SN! comment on SN successfully. I'm currently not seeing my location info on the Spotter Network even though APRS.fi doesn't have any issues updating my locations. We need a go-to location on the Spotter Network that displays the current status of APRS !SN! and even the other methods i.e. Radarscope, etc. It is not always obvious pursing the forums what the current status is due to the ages of the posts. I'm assuming that APRS with the !SN! comment is currently DOWN again on SN. Is my assumption correct?

Hi J! APRS has been down since the Spotter Network website had API issues just before Christmas. I wish there was a more proficient support/trouble ticket system than Stormtrack. I agree that there needs to be a status page, much like Allison House has for their infrastructure. I also believe there needs to be a grading/accountably structure for Spotter Network, much like there is for those that report on it. If you’re going to critique users that make reports via the service, you have to be humble enough to accept criticism from those that use it. Right now there isn’t anything and it shows.

Hi J! APRS has been down since the Spotter Network website had API issues just before Christmas. I wish there was a more proficient support/trouble ticket system than Stormtrack. I agree that there needs to be a status page, much like Allison House has for their infrastructure. I also believe there needs to be a grading/accountably structure for Spotter Network, much like there is for those that report on it. If you’re going to critique users that make reports via the service, you have to be humble enough to accept criticism from those that use it. Right now there isn’t anything and it shows.
It would appear that you are the forums foremost expert on how SN and APRS have been managed together haha.

Back