SN / APRS APRS Question

Hello everyone, I apologize if bumping a topic is not within the rules, I couldn't actually locate the forum rules. I recently signed up for Spotter Network and was planning to use APRS when I'm out spotting. I downloaded APRSIS/32 last night and sent some beacons via internet, and I was able to be seen on APRS.fi, but Spotter Network never picked it up. Is there still an issue feeding the data between APRS and SN? I'm trying to troubleshoot if there's a configuration issue on my end, and was hoping to test this before introducing a radio into the mix. If it helps, I was sending stuff around 19:00-20:00 EDT last evening (5/6) as KG4GUF-0 and KG4GUF-9.

Hello everyone, I apologize if bumping a topic is not within the rules, I couldn't actually locate the forum rules. I recently signed up for Spotter Network and was planning to use APRS when I'm out spotting. I downloaded APRSIS/32 last night and sent some beacons via internet, and I was able to be seen on APRS.fi, but Spotter Network never picked it up. Is there still an issue feeding the data between APRS and SN? I'm trying to troubleshoot if there's a configuration issue on my end, and was hoping to test this before introducing a radio into the mix. If it helps, I was sending stuff around 19:00-20:00 EDT last evening (5/6) as KG4GUF-0 and KG4GUF-9.

Matthew,

There has been an ongoing issue with APRS info making it to SN that John and others have had issues tracking down.

The thread linked above has the ongoing saga of that. Read over it, and if you have any ideas, be sure to let John and others know. I'm sure they'd appreciate any ideas at this stage of the game.

I'm a big APRS user in general, so I agree it would be nice to have that functionality. That said, I run SN via RadarScope and still run APRS independently as well when I'm out spotting. Ham radio is my primary reporting means in the field, and I've been able to help out a few net operators by making mention that my APRS beacon is active when giving my location. Many net operators will either have APRS capabilities or will have APRS.fi running on the screen next to whatever radar software they're running (usually GRL3). So even if the link with SN is never resolved, there's still ample reason to run the beacon while chasing, especially if you intend to call in reports via ham radio.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for passing that on Drew! I guess it's just a stubborn and ongoing problem. It seems there isn't anything in particular I could contribute that hasn't been thought of yet.

Back