any way to recieve TV signals on laptop?

Ben Engle

EF1
I was just thinking about my radio and computer setup, and was wondering if there was a way to recieve TV signals for viewing on a laptop? obviously an external antenn would be needed, but are there programs that work for this?

Both Happauge WinTV and Pinnacle external video capture systems would permit this very easily. They are not very inexpensive (do a search), but also allow for the recording of video on your laptop.

For decent results, you'd need a USB 2.0 or Firewire connection. You can check the specs at their respective websites.

MP

Im not sure if you can get lap top tv....but I use an AUTO-TALK unit that connects between your car antenna and your car stero. It uses your car stereo and a keypad to recieve any tv signals in any area. Its pretty neat idea. It takes about 30 minutes to install (like a stereo would) It also has NOAA radio reception too. The key pad is about 3" by 3" and has adhesive back to mount on your front dash. The heart of the auto talk unit is about 3" by 7" and mounts behind your stereo out of sight. I wire tied mine to the stereo slide. They retail for $49.00....I bought several and have extras if your intrested for about half retail . You can still have full stereo funtion too..........good luck

I'd love to find a system that could receive digital tv broadcasts so I could get the continuous radar that is broadcast on many of the station's 'sub-channels'

I'd love to find a system that could receive digital tv broadcasts so I could get the continuous radar that is broadcast on many of the station's 'sub-channels'

I just purchased one of those for the local KET Sub Channel here in Western KY. This is a new project that was just started. The NWS here is just now starting to work with this. We had a SKYWARN meeting tonight and discussed where we were each at on the stuff. So far I have a lock on the channel but no data. They have been able to get data there at the NWS but have had some problems with the software.

This is all in the infant stage. We are going to be able to pull up local radar once we get things set right.

The box that I ordered was the Terrestrial ATSC Broadband Receiver USB from Broadband Technologies.

This data is being broadcast all over the state of KY.

Should be interesting if we can get it to work!

Maybe tomorrow we will get there! There is going to be a meeting at the end of the month for local Emergency Management on the subject. Hopefully we have things working by then!

I just purchased one of those for the local KET Sub Channel here in Western KY. This is a new project that was just started. The NWS here is just now starting to work with this.

Uh...you know...you can get the EMWIN datastream over one of the KET Sub Channels too.

thanks guys, I always feel like a retard when i try to find something like this and can't so i ask you guys and you give me 35 different things i could do.

Really, I rode the normal length bus to school :D

Limited Digital options

It's too bad digital tv receivers are still so expensive... our station broadcasts a rotation of live radars, VIPIR, towercam, and LiveStrike(lightning display)... on one of our extra digital channels...

The receivers are $75 used and 200 new from my brief search... and video quality would be another question when DRIVING and changing direction...and moving farther away from the tower.

I've checked around on eBay and came to the conclusion that a TV tuner for your laptop is gonna cost about as much as a TV itself... maybe a bit cheaper if you're lucky and can win an auction cheap and the shipping doesn't nail you. I, personally, would spend the $100 on the PCMCIA TV Tuner cards as they're more compact. Not sure what the advantages would be between the PCMCIA and the USB... might be worth a check!

I've checked around on eBay and came to the conclusion that a TV tuner for your laptop is gonna cost about as much as a TV itself... maybe a bit cheaper if you're lucky and can win an auction cheap and the shipping doesn't nail you. I, personally, would spend the $100 on the PCMCIA TV Tuner cards as they're more compact. Not sure what the advantages would be between the PCMCIA and the USB... might be worth a check!

Man, where you getting those cheap TVs at Tony? Hook us up! :lol: I am finding TV tuners on Ebay for under $50 for the USB one. The advantage I see is that most laptops only have one or two PC card slots, and many chasers already have a cell card, or a wifi card or something like that in there, so you wouldn't need the slot obviously with the USB tuner.

I just got my ATI USB tuner in the mail from eBay and discovered a feature on it that could be very useful for chasing.

In the setup you can specify a list of 'hotwords' that will sound a beeper when that word comes across the closed captioning. I added some keywords 'Tornadoes', 'Storms', 'Rain' etc, put it on the noon news, turned the sound down and viola! In a few minutes I had a popup and a beep that alerted me to check out the TV when the word 'Rain' was mentioned.

Nice little weather monitor if you have closed-captioning on a local station. You could even put in the hotword 'radar' and have it start recording for a preset time. Then you can pull over and view the radar image you just recorded.

I like that you can keep the sound off and not have to hear any of the commercials! :)

Back