Amature Storm Chaser Budget Chase Vehicle 2021 Edition

I’m really not sure what you mean when you say you want to look “official”. What kind of official do you want to look like? Hopefully not a another “pretend” researcher.
If you just want others to know that you are out storm chasing, have a ball and deck it out however you feel like doing. Some people like to run discreet, some like to plaster whatever they can on the outside of their vehicle and most are in the middle. It’s your ride and provided you aren’t breaking any laws, it’s nobody else’s business.

Stop focusing on how your vehicle looks and coming across as "being official", that will be you nowhere. People will laugh at you, that is.. if you even have the ability to get on a storm, because you spent all your time on looking official that you can't even forecast and pick a successful target.

I'm not certain how official a 25-year-old GM truck is going to look at this point, in any capacity, regardless of intent.

Forget looking official, not sure I'd be comfortable relying on a 25 year old GM truck for storm chasing.. I mean I guess if you completely overhaul it and bring it back to like new condition inside and out, mechanically.

Forget looking official, not sure I'd be comfortable relying on a 25 year old GM truck for storm chasing.. I mean I guess if you completely overhaul it and bring it back to like new condition inside and out, mechanically.

In and of itself, not too terribly difficult to do. GM trucks of that era were sort of like Lego. It just becomes an issue of whether or not your chase rig is now a restomod, and how much will that cost.

I've been daily driving the Burb for quite a while now, and it's really a winner in my book.
20210226_105805.jpg
Great in the snow, great at towing, and great on the interstate.
20210226_105815.jpg
I could have bought a Tundra or 4Runner, but around here rusted out frames is a major issue with these Toyota's, so they command a premium. I could spend 5k on one with 350k on it, body rot, but the factory replace frame.
20210226_105834.jpg
Also, I don't want the starter going out on me all of a sudden and have to take the intake manifold off to replace it. Anyways, I have this thing sorted out mechanically, I've just been focusing on my degree right now (Associate in Science) so I can actually forecast competently.

I almost get the idea that your just trying to troll everyone here. Not a bad vehicle IF it stays reliable. The BIG QUESTION HERE IS...did you even think about and take some of the above advice about looking cool, wanting equipment so people will get out of your way, etc.? Trust me kid...you're doing it the wrong way. Were trying to lead you to water here, but we sure can't make you drink. That's going to be entirely up to you.

I almost get the idea that your just trying to troll everyone here. Not a bad vehicle IF it stays reliable. The BIG QUESTION HERE IS...did you even think about and take some of the above advice about looking cool, wanting equipment so people will get out of your way, etc.? Trust me kid...you're doing it the wrong way. Were trying to lead you to water here, but we sure can't make you drink. That's going to be entirely up to you.
I'm not going to make it stand out like a sore thumb, this isn't just my chase rig, it's also my daily driver.

Honestly I am a total Amature, and doing all that crazy stuff to my vehicle would make me look like an idiot.

I don't know why I wanted to (maybe because I was bored) but now I'm focusing on actually getting a better understanding of meteorology. When I was younger, I always read meteorolgy books from my schools library, and figured out how to sort of read a radar map (Red is bad). This is like 3rd grade when this all started.

Anyways, when I finally got my driving license, I just wanted to get right out there, and would waste gas whenever I could. Now college is actually giving me a better understanding of meteorology.

I'm used to automotive forums, so I just started this thread and made it like a build thread.

I guess it doesn't really work that way on a forum like this.

The next thing I am going to figure out is the radios and stuff. I'm currently studying to get my amature radio license, and plan to install a 2 meter ham as well as my CB into the truck. I also want to install a camera mount/laptop mount.
20201213_160450.jpg
This may be difficult since the truck has a bench seat in the front. For some reason, I love bench seats in trucks, but it's going to make stuff inconvenient.
20210226_105810.jpg
Now, I said I wasn't going to stick on a bunch of accessories and logos, but I did paint on some racing stripes just because I could (I'm going to have the hood repainted soon anyways since clear was starting to peel where the stripe is).

The next thing I am going to figure out is the radios and stuff. I'm currently studying to get my amature radio license, and plan to install a 2 meter ham as well as my CB into the truck. I also want to install a camera mount/laptop mount.
View attachment 21169
This may be difficult since the truck has a bench seat in the front. For some reason, I love bench seats in trucks, but it's going to make stuff inconvenient.
View attachment 21170
Now, I said I wasn't going to stick on a bunch of accessories and logos, but I did paint on some racing stripes just because I could (I'm going to have the hood repainted soon anyways since clear was starting to peel where the stripe is).

Now what software would you guys reccomend for radar? In the past, I've always used GRLevel 2 on the 21 day trial on my trusty Dell Latitude D630 (I would reload windows on the computer after it expired).

I might upgrade an android tablet like dean said.

Also I got several cameras I'd like to use.
-My Cannon Rebel T6.
-Two Go Pros.
-My Sony HDR-FX1 (I converted it to record to an external SSD).
-My RCA CC011 Newvicon Tube Camera (Because one of my hobbies is Vintage Television Equipment).
20190527_122616.jpg
-Also my homemade Image Dissector Tube Camera (If I can ever get it finished).
20181107_211943.jpg
Anyways, I just like cameras, but I probably won't have time to mess around with all of them.

So there being probably less than a month before storm season really starts to blow up, I need to get my ass in gear with this Burb.
20210324_112747.jpg
It has been the best winter vehicle I have ever owned, but it still needs some work to be ready for chasing.
20210324_112725.jpg
Shit That Still Needs To Be Done:
- Front End Alignment.
- Torsion Bar Adjustment (Bring it back to stock before the plow was installed).
- Fix Rear Transfer Case Seal Leak
(Better now then at the side of the road like last year).
- Charge A/C (It worked when I got the truck, but not anymore).
- Fuel Pump/Sender (The gas gauge reads a bit wonky, and it's better to replace it before the pump eventually fails).
- Fix Cruise Control (Would be nice).
- Replace Oxygen Sensor/Cat Delete/Flowmaster/Duals.
- Oil Change (Its due for one).
- Maybe Tires (Though they are from the junkyard and a bit low on tread, I could probably get another year out of them).
- Install CB/Antenna.
- Install Camera Mount.
- Install Inverter/Mobile Broadband Modem.
- Market Lights (For when we're pulled over at the side of the road).
20210323_164004.jpg
Anyways, I'm about to get my tax refund/stimulus check, so it's all going into this truck.

Back