Amateur Radio Frequency

The group I caught up with last year were hams, at least the ones operating the radios were, just by habit during an ongoing chase period Id put my callsign out, about at least every ten minutes which is the rule on repeaters. The same holds true for simplex, I know everyone gets caught up in whats being said and forgets the ten minute rule. One of the group said he'd forgotten that one and was glad I reminded him by doing it. Like David, I heard alot of substandard operating last year also, probably by non hams, mostly "Hey Dave, you there?" kind of things with no callsigns.

Hi All,
will be looking forward to catching up with a few of you on .550 whilst in tornado alley
during may2006.
I will also be taking a few days out from chasing to go to the Dayton, Ohio hamfest
which has been a dream for a few years

cheers
Dave Nelson
VK2TDN

Sydney
Australia

Just a quick note, I know this a ham discussion but I have noticed FRS/GMRS abuse is on the rise as well...

I have come across several people on the FRS bands and I mean the FRS only channels such as Ch.10. I usually put all the FRS channels into the HAM radio just to listen when I am bored or just to see if there is anyone around. I have come across several cases where I have been able to pick up FRS users for many miles, sometimes upwards of 20 - 25 miles and they have been registering with powerful signals. This leads me to the conclusion that they are using modified HAM radio equipment and probably dishing out 35 - 50 watts. I have come across an individual here in Canada who claimed to be using a kilowatt (probably lying) and the government has been chasing him down. I believe they eventually caught him, but he was probably using 500 watts in the city of Toronto. He could be heard on a cheap FRS radio just about anywhere in the city (again 30 miles in any direction).

Due to topography the hills blocked his signal before it reached my place, if that was not the case I would have gone on a fox hunt since it was incredibly annoying, he was interfering with business and personal communications as well as ambulance services when he wanderd well outside of the GMRS/FRS band. Furthermore, fowl language was the least of concerns, he was fighting with children and using/saying all sorts of slanderous language any parent would be heavily offended over, not so much the language but the messages conveyed!

People are always going to open up their radio's since there is always someone that knows how and will do it for whoever asks, but if you are someone who chooses to operate on the GMRS/FRS bands with an illegal setup please be considerate of others out there. Don't use 50 watts if you guys are 10 feet apart LOL and try to keep the language down to a minimum.

To be honest I am not endorsing any illegal activity, but I much rather have people abuse the public bands (FRS - CB) then the HAM radio bands since the public bands are rarely used for emergency purposes while the HAM bands, especially 2 meters and 80 meters are very important during emergencies. GMRS is a public band technically but given some companies invest quite a bit of money into good GMRS systems with nice repeaters they deserve respect too. In fact, the best band to take advantage of is the CB band. There are many people and experimenters on that band who operate well above and beyond the FCC regulations so CB abuse is actually the best kind of abuse since it is almost accepted as the norm.

I am not saying to go out and abuse these bands, but if you are going to abuse them then abuse them... lol how do I put this... ok abuse them 'properly' LOL.

BTW on 70cm many chasers use 446.025/446.100 and that is sometimes patched into 146.550. That only happens when things are very busy and tones don't solve problems on 2m. Usually everyone who can move to 70cm will do so but the guys stuck on 2m will be patched in or sometimes vice versa. People don't often scan UHF simplex so often this fact goes unnoticed.

Also, I have heard some chaser activity on CB channel 26 during a few occasions, all AM. I have not come across any SSB activity with chasing.

I suppose I should have posted to this thread sooner given it did start in Feb and it is currently April. Hey Dave thanks for bringing the thread back to life!
:D

Just a quick note, I know this a ham discussion but I have noticed FRS/GMRS abuse is on the rise as well...
[/b]

Don't forget that some GMRS channels allow for power levels of up to 50 watts by licensed users. These are obviously not the regular radios I'm talking about here, but some of the frequencies are shared with the portable units. Not sure on the status of licensed GMRS use in Canada for the purpose of repeaters or high-power usage, but the fellow you speak of may have been using equipment obtained in the US.

Don't forget that some GMRS channels allow for power levels of up to 50 watts by licensed users. These are obviously not the regular radios I'm talking about here, but some of the frequencies are shared with the portable units. Not sure on the status of licensed GMRS use in Canada for the purpose of repeaters or high-power usage, but the fellow you speak of may have been using equipment obtained in the US.
[/b]

Yes that is true, repeaters on the GMRS system may use up to 50 watts, but the abuse I have heard was outside of the GMRS frequencies on the FRS only channels (Ch.8 - 14). The table below outlines GMRS/FRS overlaps and channel use. The 5 watt only applies to portables since repeaters may go as high as 50 watts. The abuse I heard was in Indiana - Illinois.

GMRS Repeater Output / Simplex (1) 462.550
462.5625 FRS Ch 1 (GMRS 5 w. allowed)
GMRS Repeater Output / Simplex (2) 462.575
462.5875 FRS Ch 2(GMRS 5 w. allowed)
GMRS Repeater Output / Simplex (3) 462.600
462.6125 FRS Ch 3(GMRS 5 w. allowed)
GMRS Repeater Output / Simplex (4) 462.625
462.6375 FRS Ch 4(GMRS 5 w. allowed)
GMRS Repeater Output / Simplex (5) 462.650
462.6625 FRS Ch 5 (GMRS 5 w. allowed)
GMRS Repeater Output / Simplex (6) 462.675
462.6875 FRS Ch 6(GMRS 5 w. allowed)
GMRS Repeater Output / Simplex (7) 462.700
462.7125 FRS Ch 7 (GMRS 5 w. allowed)
GMRS Repeater Output / Simplex (8) 462.725
GMRS Repeater Input (1) 467.550
467.5625 FRS Ch 8 GMRS not allowed)
GMRS Repeater Input (2) 467.575
467.5875 FRS Ch 9(GMRS not allowed)
GMRS Repeater Input (3) 467.600
467.6125 FRS Ch 10 (GMRS not allowed)
GMRS Repeater Input (4) 467.625
467.6375 FRS Ch 11 (GMRS not allowed)
GMRS Repeater Input (5) 467.650
467.6625 FRS Ch 12 (GMRS not allowed)
GMRS Repeater Input (6) 467.675
467.6875 FRS Ch 13 (GMRS not allowed)
GMRS Repeater Input (7) 467.700
467.7125 FRS Ch 14 (GMRS not allowed)
GMRS Repeater Input (8) 467.725

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm...=general_mobile

http://www.ba-marc.org/writeups/gmrs-frs-freq.htm

In Canada GMRS is limited to 2.5 watts, ERP can be as high as 3.5 watts (I believe) and there is no repeater use, you can't modify the radio's components such as antennas. Basically you are limited to store bought walkie-talkies, there is no such thing as mobile use LOL. There is also no license required to use GMRS and the GMRS/FRS simplex US band plan is the same one used here, so US channels 1 - 22 are the same as Canadian GMRS/FRS channels 1 - 22.

but the fellow you speak of may have been using equipment obtained in the US[/b]

Many people actually buy the 5 watt portables from the US, I actually own a set myself but I bought them before GMRS was legal in Canada, I did not think they would limit power levels as much as they did haha. The guy who was ticking me off was using a modified Kenwood radio and a linear amp. Someone probably just clipped the radio for him because he was all over the 400 MHz spectrum (bad SWR!), he was messing with ambulances services in the 414 range, ham in the 440's, GMRS/FRS in the 460's and commercial stuff all in between. Several people confronted him on radio and he openly confessed to using his Kenwood with some 200 AMP fuses and he believed he was spitting out a kilowatt. Personally I think he was dreaming, at the most it was 500 watts. Thankfully such abuse is rare, the only reason the government chased him down was because he started messing with the secondary backup ambulance channels for the city. Thankfully the real ambulance action has been moved to 800 MHz with the rest of the important stuff, but the backup channels are still very important. When there is a good lightning storm the UHF low channels often come into play so he could have been a real disaster!

That reminds me, back on July 22nd 2002 we had a massive lightning storm associated with an almost stationary squall line. Just about every cellular, commercial, government, and amateur radio tower within 60 miles of the city was either on emergency power or using the emergency secondary system. I had to place the same phone call about 5 times in 1 minute. I could hear the cell phone tower getting knocked dead with each call. There was a sharp crackle and then the connection was gone. I have no idea what was so special about this one lightning event but I have never ever come across another case of radio chaos which even comes close. The big blackout in the NE US was not even as bad. I think I am going to start a topic and see if I can get some ideas as to why this happened, thanks for jolting my memory John.

146.550 4-15-06 Alot of storm chasers from this board in the Beatrice,Ne area, had my scanner set to that freq, didn't hear that freq break squelch. Am I missing something here??

146.550 4-15-06 Alot of storm chasers from this board in the Beatrice,Ne area, had my scanner set to that freq, didn't hear that freq break squelch. Am I missing something here??
[/b]

In my experience, 146.550 is very heavily used by chasers in Oklahoma, but not nearly as much elsewhere.

If you really want to find such chatter, you probably want to put all of the "standard" simplex freqs for 2m such as 146.505, 146.535, 147.42, 147.435, 147.550 etc. You may also want to try some non-standard, but chaser used simplex freqs such as 146.500 or 147.500 as well.

Per U.S. band plans (each state has its own variation of the national band plan), you can operate simplex anywhere between 146.40 and 146.59, or between 147.40 and 147.59. If 146.55 or .52 become crowded, pick another frequency within one of these ranges.

146.550 MHz seems to have become the primary chaser simplex frequency, although I've heard chasers chatting on unused repeater output frequencies, and other simplex frequencies in the 145 MHz end of the band, such as 145.550 MHz.

I still use 146.520 MHz, expecially away from the larger cities, primarily because hams in rural areas tend to monitor this frequency, which is, as others have mentioned, the national calling frequency. And, the "local" hams will often call and chat. Also, hams on long trips often monitor 146.520 MHz while traveling. If I'm with other chasers chatting on 146.52, the locals often comment that they appreciate the information they gained while listening to the chasers. Many very pragmatic farmers / ranchers who are hams, also get a good laugh listening to people who are "wasting good time and money" running around the countryside chasing storms.

Although I typically don't scan the 440 MHz band while chasing, the only simplex activity that I've found on this band has been on 446.000 MHz., which is the FM national calling frequency.

The 432.1 MHz frequency is primarily used for weak signal work, utilizing SSB or CW. I would not recommend using FM on this frequency.

Some local ham clubs transmit fast scan TV of local radar on or near 426.25 MHz. Coverage is typically limited. Today, a digital TV decoder for the regular TV channels would provide better coverage for receiving radar transmitted by local TV stations on one of the auxillary digital channels, such as channel 5.2, etc.

This leads me to the conclusion that they are using modified HAM radio equipment and probably dishing out 35 - 50 watts.[/b]

While some of the FRS/GMRS rogue operators may be doing this, many use commercial land mobile radios (Motorola, Ericsson, etc.) programmed with the two pairs of channels. With the amount of cheap UHF LMR radios on places like eBay, there are illegal operators everywhere. It's not my place to play "Kilocycle Cop", but I'm glad that the vast majority of the illegal stuff happens on the public allocations.

This set of Four can be found in a large variety of places from skywarn sites/forums to radio reference listed for almost every state. what i have them saved as storm1 2 3 and 4 and I am always sure to monitor them myself

VHF
146.55000 Storm Spotting National Simplex Frequency
146.46000 (Alternate to 146.550 MHz)

UHF
446.10000 (often used for cross patching to 146.550 MHz.)
446.07500 (Alternate to 446.100 MHz)

I generally use 146.550, with 146.520 as a backup. The 146.46 is a frequency used in a lot of areas as a ARES frequency, that as well as 146.430, and 146.490.

I also use 147.500 as a simplex, but I am mostly using that for Yaesu System Fusion C4FM digital

Sent from my E6782 using Stormtrack mobile app

I love digital on simplex. I was curious if anyone was going to mention it.

I don't have a Yaesu but, I do have an iCom with D-Star and having the ability to jump over on DV mode on a congested frequency and no one knowing your there or able to scan you is really nice. Of course I don't know many that have digital capable radios.

I have 146.550 in my radio but I hardly ever use it. The times I have switched over I never hear anyone using it. I am usually tied up on NETS so don't get much opportunity to listen. I have two dual band radios in the truck. I use one for 2M and the other for 70CM to prevent de-sensing. Unfortunately since the one I use for 2M is also my APRS radio so that ties up one side only leaving me one side to actually use for 2M and that is normally set to a repeater. I could monitor it on my other radio but knowing me I would forget and key up. I will need to program in those other frequencies you mentioned and see if there is any activity on them.

I like the System Fusion, I think in the end because of cost, that Yaesu will win the digital war, I have 2 dual banders in my truck, I have the Kenwood TM-D710 I use that for APRS, and Anolog, and the Yaesu FTM-100 is strictly Digital

Back