Amateur Radio Frequency

146.520 is the national calling frequency and 146.550 is the unofficial chaser frequency. As far as I know, there's no chaser freq on 70cm but 432.100 is the calling frequency.

The BC

We used 146.550 this year and FRS for those in the group that are not hams. Jim Leonard lead our group on May 13th and we used FRS until we got split up. It was good having two hams in the group, I fell back due to large hail and we stayed in contact 15+ miles away on 50watts on 146.550 simplex.

As I watch chaser DVDs from this year I do notice more chasers using the Walkie Talkie function of their Nextels to keep in touch, thats a good way to keep those in their group in touch without giving out locations and conditions they might want to keep a secret, sometimes thats good. Since they use the Nextel network, they can be many, many miles from each other and keep in touch.

Mike Robinett
W4UAV

Is 146.55 popular around the country? Here in Oklahoma we have two main networks that cover just about the entire state that are linked to the NWS. Most of the more powerful repeaters are programmed so the NWS offices in Tulsa (TSA) and Norman (OUN) can remotely link them during severe weather and gives chasers/spotters a direct line to the NWS office for Western and Eastern Oklahoma. I don't know how many other states (if any, maybe TX?) have a system like this, but I know when I'm chasing in Oklahoma, I can usually hit one of them and have a direct line to NWS for reporting. Most city EOCs tune in as well for information from spotters. I wish Kansas had something like this...

Mike:
146.55 is a talk around simplex frequency. There are generally not many repeaters with an input freq that falls on or around 146.55 thus making it a good choice for use.

Originally posted by Mike Gauldin
Is 146.55 popular around the country? Here in Oklahoma we have two main networks that cover just about the entire state that are linked to the NWS. Most of the more powerful repeaters are programmed so the NWS offices in Tulsa (TSA) and Norman (OUN) can remotely link them during severe weather and gives chasers/spotters a direct line to the NWS office for Western and Eastern Oklahoma. I don't know how many other states (if any, maybe TX?) have a system like this, but I know when I'm chasing in Oklahoma, I can usually hit one of them and have a direct line to NWS for reporting. Most city EOCs tune in as well for information from spotters. I wish Kansas had something like this...

I know the NWS out of Wichita uses 146.820 and that tower is out of Hutchinson, Also there is a repeater out of Beaumont Ks (145.130 I think)which is east of Wichita that they use alot. Now, Sedgwick Co RACCES will use 146.940 but that repeater goes to them when bad weather hits the city. Now Mike Umscheid (a ST member) I do believe does work for the NWS out of Dodge City and he might now the loaction of the towers and the frequency they use in that area.

Originally posted by Steve Miller OK
146.55 is a talk around simplex frequency.

I knew that :p I was just wondering since it seems what you would normally hear on the .55 simplex takes place on the repeaters around OK. I wish some of the people would use simplex and not rag-chew on an active emergency net.

Here in SW OK the main frequencies used for storm spotters and reports are 147.045 (Cyril, OK), 147.255 (Grandfield, OK) and 147.715 (Granite, OK). All three repeaters are linked together and are also linked to NWS in Norman (WX5OUN). The three repeaters are owned and operated by S.W.I.R.A.
During severe weather the weathernet is active and the frequencies are for reporting confirmed reports only and not used as general chat frequencies
http://www.swiralink.com/repeaters.htm

Back