Amateur Radio Frequency

Here's a link to the ARRL band plan: http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulatio...andplan.html#2m

As you can see 146.52 is the National Simplex Calling Frequency, meaning that it should only be used to initiate contacts. 146.55 is also within one of the designated frequency ranges for Simplex communication, and has become popular with chasers over the years (although it's not exclusively reserved for chasers).

I always monitor both; however I also usually have a map with the various repeaters available for a given area (along with information on those that you shouldn't come up on during a weather situation).

Perhaps this is also a good time to plug the excellent "kBrews Storm Spotting Frequencies" website... anybody who caries a radio or scanner with them should have this site bookmarked. http://www.caps.ou.edu/~kbrews/spotfreq/index.html

I have long been a supporter and user of 146.55 as a common chaser talk-around freq on 2m but I can't say I have ever looked in to simplex on 70cm. Is there a common freq in the 70cm range for chase chatter?

Originally posted by Steve Miller OK
I have long been a supporter and user of 146.55 as a common chaser talk-around freq on 2m but I can't say I have ever looked in to simplex on 70cm. Is there a common freq in the 70cm range for chase chatter?

The only simplex banter I've ever heard on 70cm has been on 446.00, although the calling freq. is supposedly 432.10.

I generally only use 70cm for repeater work.

I've always thought chatting on 2 meters on the way to targets or after a chase is one of the most enjoyable sidelights of the experience. Of course it's cool to have car trips with just silence or some music, but during a multi-day (or multi-week) chase expedition, the radio can keep you sane. It's a cool way to catch up with friends and analyze the hell out of the wx setup---and with real-time sensible data! It's sort of like a rolling chat room with actual voices and a chase at the end.

146.550 gets crowded around isolated storms and it helps to have a few backup frequencies in case the qso's bog down. This seems to happen when seven to ten chasers share the frequency in close proximity---not all that often, but usually at a critical time. It's good when groups agree on alternate simplex channels to maintain their own discussions.

I've noticed chasers deliver their best comedy material on the radio. Several dash-mounted videotapes of mine contain hilarious bits or one-liners from other chasers that are somehow even funnier because it's over the air. I guess it's natural to use humor in tense situations. With the radio, you don't have to look like you're enjoying your own quip. You can deliver the one-liner and still keep the nervous look on your face.

Central Texas Wide Area Repeater with EchoLink to FWD

Originally posted by Mike Gauldin
I don't know how many other states (if any, maybe TX?) have a system like this, but I know when I'm chasing in Oklahoma, I can usually hit one of them and have a direct line to NWS for reporting. Most city EOCs tune in as well for information from spotters. I wish Kansas had something like this...

We have a very wide area repeater located at 1600 feet AGL near Eddy, Texas (South of Waco) with Echolink connectivity to the NWS in Fort Worth. The coverage area is roughly Hearne/College Station to San Saba and Hillsboro to Round Rock.

We also have a APRS digi located at the same level.

If the DFW area is not having problems, we usually have someone connected from FWD via EchoLink.

I am the trustee and with my ancient, night blind eyes quite often the net control and If I am not chasing, I have almost every weather/ham related program mentioned on this forum running on two computers and four monitors.

Try it out the next time you are passing through the area chasing dust devils... We have given up on anything wet...

The repeater frequency is 147.140, PL123

What about those of us who don't have an amateur radio license (yet)? Is there a common channel for CB radio?

Hmm, I haven't heard of chaser CB channel... I used to have a CB in my car, but got rid of it this past year since I never used it. I think the main neg for CB is range... You're stuck with 4-5W, which doesn't do much for range (vs. 50W on 2m with a 3-4dB antenna).

I still carry a CB in my truck to garner information from truckers who just came through a storm or get a smokey report :).. You would be surpised how much info you can get from the truckers about storm conditions.

On the other hand I dont think I have heard any chasers use the CB for communicating. I do know some have gone to the FRS style radios which have a much shorter range than a 2m but do not require a HAM license. I and my partners use them as backups or for when we are out of our vehicles but I have heard alot of car-car traffic on them also and since you can buy a set of 2 for about $50 it is a cheap alternative for those that arent HAM's (everybody should be. its easy and cheap).

The national calling frequency for UHF FM voice is 446.000....the 432 MHz freq everyone is listing is the SSB voice calling frequency.

This reminds me of something I meant to address in the chaser community back during the summer.

The convention in ham radio VHF simplex is that the simplex "channels" be spread out by .15 MHz to prevent interference. Hence, you get numbers like 146.52, (146.535), and 146.55 MHz.

Earlier this year, we had to change freqs off of one of these established simplex freqs due to other chasers using a non-standard freq closeby. While obviously not illegal, it would be beneficial to all hams to try to stick to the standards, especially near those beautiful isolated storms where the crowds get thick.

Originally posted by KMcCallister
While obviously not illegal, it would be beneficial to all hams to try to stick to the standards, especially near those beautiful isolated storms where the crowds get thick.

Hear Hear!!

With the additional power and flexibility of HAM radio comes a significant increase in operating expectations. These are far and above what's expected of CB, FRS, GMRS, MURS.

The HAM service is an extremely valuable tool in chasing/spotting. It should be learned and operated with the same commitment we give to our other tools.

[/SOAPBOX]

Any chasers using mobile HF?? The groundwave propogation of the lower bands can be VERY impressive.

brianb
N5ACN

Originally posted by C Brian Batey
Any chasers using mobile HF?? The groundwave propogation of the lower bands can be VERY impressive.

There was some discussion about using HF in this thread: http://www.stormtrack.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9174

It sounds like a few people are up for it. I plan on installing HF shortly in my vehicle for other reasons but will have it ready for chasing this year.

Speaking of addressing some issues....

Last year on the June 12 storm in Kent County, TX, there were two parties operating in and around 146.55. One operator was a female, the one on the other end was a male. I never heard any call signs given, and in fact I suspect that they did not have the appropriate FCC license to be operating on those frequencies.

Aside from that issue, the even bigger one was that there was a considerable amount of foul language traffic being passed, up to and including liberal use of the F word.

I kept picking them up because I often have one of my scanners set to scan the 2 meter bands. When I heard the cussing start up, I would switch my 2 way over to that frequency and sign my call sign. They would immediately shut up and then I would pick them up a little later on another frequency. Based on the conversation I suspect they were two vehicles caravaning together.

Folks, I am going to state this here because I know the majority of people chasing read this board. I suspect there is a good chance that the offending parties will read this. You will know who you are.

You can have the radio to listen (although why you would get it and not get your license is beyond me, since you can pick it up with a cheaper scanner), but you may not EVER transmit on your ham radio without a license, or a licensed operator present. EVER!

You may think you won't get caught, but you will eventually. HAMS will turn you in to the FCC. The FCC WILL take enforcement action which, to quote them:

While many people use Citizens Band radio or Family Radio Service equipment, the use of Amateur radio equipment requires a Commission-issued license. Please be advised that operation of radio transmitting equipment without a license is a violation of Section 301 of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended, 47 U.S.C. Section 301, and will subject the operator to monetary forfeiture (fine) or imprisonment. Fines normally range from $7,500 to $10,000.

And if you think they don't go after people for doing it, do a little reading here:

http://www.arrl.org/news/enforcement_logs/

You will probably be stuck with a stiff fine and maybe the confiscation of your expensive radio equipment. The same holds true if, God forbid, you DO have a license and participate in the above mentioned activities. Even more shame on you if you DO have a license and were participating in the aforementioned activities.

Get the license, it's not that hard, and use proper operating procedures. Have operating priviledges afforded to you by getting the license are just that, PRIVILEDGES! Respect the license you earned, and respect the rest of us out there on those frequencies.

Originally posted by David Drummond

You may think you won't get caught, but you will eventually. HAMS will turn you in to the FCC.

Underestimating the territorial nature of HAMS is a serious mistake. We jealously guard our frequency allocations.

Think you can't be found and caught. WRONG. Locating transmitters is a game that HAMs have played for years.

The Tech license is easy to get. Don't risk it.

brianb
N5ACN

I too have heard a lot more cussing on the air (simplex) over the past few years. I'm not sure what the reasoning is behind this but I sure wish it would go away.

As for triangulation and HAMS having fun with finding people tx'ing when they shouldn't be, do a google search for "amateur radio fox hunt".
HAMS are using some crazy equipment for finding signals...

Back