Alleged storm deflector working in full overdrive tonight.

Looking at the KLOT radar shows the alleged storm deflector over the northern Cook county panhandle, where I live, working over optimum efficiency. The northern and southern parts of the MCS are either strengthening or accelerating eastward and holding together, except for the part moving in my direction. That thing, wherever it is located, must be destroyed!:mad:

I agree... I think we should start by emptying Lake Michigan.

Or find a way to heat it to near GoM temperatures, lol.

But I don't think the lake is completely responsible, yes all severe parameters have been zeroed because of the lake breeze front earlier today, but there is a very evident "hole" in the activity developing in the vicinity of the Cook county panhandle. There must be something spewing cool or dry air into the sky or something. What is causing this!? This occurs in nearly every storm event of recent times, with the exception of 9/2206! So annoying.

Ok, now the entire MCS is weakening somewhat, even to the south. That is the lake's doing.

Here is evidence of this phenomenon straight from GRLevel3 about a half hour ago.

The red + sign is my home location.

deflector.jpg

I can't for the life of me figure out why they call it storm "chase" ing. ;)

If one waits for everything to come to them, they won't see much.

I can't for the life of me figure out why they call it storm "chase" ing. ;)

If one waits for everything to come to them, they won't see much.

WOW, that was quite the jab. Somebody's sword is dripping blood tonight.

Actually, there is a dome of protection over all of N. IL, not just Cook Co. Here is proof (as far as sig. tornadoes goes - from SPC a while back):

DVN7.bmp

I call it the Northern Illinois Dome of Protection (NIDoP). It hasn't failed in a long time. Today was no exception!

No jab meant, btw Dave.

I just get a kick how everyone's town has a storm deflector on it... people even talk about my town having one.

I kinda prefer the major storms DON'T come to my front door, heheh.

The "Norman Bubble" that I hear talked about by residents of the city always cracks me up. Isn't OKC the leader as far as hits by significant tornadoes? Or at least near the top. In my opinion, one can't get much closer to a hot spot without being struck than Norman. Not sure why you'd want them hitting you? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I can relate to the sentiment that it would be nice every once in a while to have an interesting storm event happen at home without having to spend $300 in gas and all of the day or week to see. Just some good lightning at home would be nice once or twice a year. Some of us really do have trouble getting even that at home, and it's certainly not because we haven't paid our dues on the road.

Some areas have a real 'weather shield' to efficiently kill storms. For Chicago, it's the lake. For me, it's the inflow-choking mountains. Not imaginary at all. I also think that climatological timing and location of initiation plays a big role. Many of these big MCSs seem to initiate in similar locales and reach the cities in question after sunset, when instability is waning. It's like clockwork and very predictable.

Some storms can positively interact with that lake breeze, and when they do, watch out! I saw a rather weak storm go supercellular in the northern suburbs this year, right as it hit the lake boundary marked on the radar. In the map Jarrod referred to you can also see a cluster of sig. tornado events in the southwest suburbs too. These may have also been influenced by the lake breeze.

I know all about the deflector thing being up here in RFD. Last night we had a strong east wind and the lake apparently influences even this far..you could see the eastern part of the MCS eaten away..but we were north of the front.
Most of my storm chases lately over the past few years have been in Lee county it seems or at least southward and some south..
In any event the Quad cities always seems to get more storms then we do in that area. It never used to be this way..in the later 70s-even 90s it was a great area here..storms came to me..lately its been ridiculous. If you want the storms you must find them esp around here..except 7-5-03 derecho where we had 100mph winds and the labor day flood last year !
Kansas is the place to live it seems esp this year !
Anyone see the training of rain in WC IL and SE IA..Radar has some impressive rainfall amounts! Flash flood warnings are out now..

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL, APritchard, you act like I am truly serious about this. I'm not asking for a significant tornado to blow me away, but a decent 55-60 dbz precip core would be nice. My area hasn't been directly affected by anything like that in at least several months. A lot of rain, yes, but it has been moderate and very thunderless for the most part. Even when the lake breeze is not occuring.

I was under that lake induced supercell earlier this year as it went right through the Cook panhandle, but that's been the exception. I don't know, it seems like there should be something to analyze. The other night, I watched fairly strong echoes approach me and watched them fall apart as they passed over me, only to rapidly reintensify 5 miles to the east. Watch the KLOT radar sometimes, you will see what I mean.

Actually, there is a dome of protection over all of N. IL, not just Cook Co. Here is proof (as far as sig. tornadoes goes - from SPC a while back):

DVN7.bmp

I call it the Northern Illinois Dome of Protection (NIDoP). It hasn't failed in a long time. Today was no exception!
The locals constructed it after the nightmares at Crystal Lake in 1965 and Belvidere in 1967. Apparently, they patterned it after the Norman Bubble, which, according to my tour guide at the NWC, has been working well for some 70 years.

There is another "bubble" or deflector in effect, once you get east of the Mississippi and later than mid-june, it is known as the chaser hole.

There is little or no interest in activity in the great lakes region. All of the chasers are focusing on the plains. The SPC can paint a big Bullseye on Columbus Ohio and I might be the first one to notice. I might start a thread on the forecast list and the MI mets (Dewey and Dale ?) would perhaps add some input, Glen Romine from IL might add some input and off course Dan Robinson would jump in his chasemobile and head up to Ohio.

The only overly optimistic member of that bunch would be me and Dan.

A lack of chaser interests leads to a lack of chaser activity and that leads to a lack of storm reports interest photos etc. And of course this leads to a further lack of interest.

Other good areas that deserve some attention are AL and the northern gulf states in the early spring. I have a friend down there and once I started watching for her I have noticed how they get pounded with severe weather in the very early spring. Of course the bad terrain or something leads to this being another chaser gap.

Sure there are exceptions. Indianapolis memorial day a few years ago was chased from the plains folks. Tony L came all the way out to Ohio for an event, but he is pretty hard core. Most of us ignore the eastern events. I am home for a few more weeks and I am waiting for the IL/IN action but so far.. nothing. Must be a deflector in effect. :)

--
Tom

Back