**All East Bank/Jefferson Residents: EVACUATE NOW**

****ALL RESIDENTS ON THE EAST BANK OF ORLEANS AND JEFFERSON REMAINING IN THE METRO AREA ARE BEING TOLD TO EVACUATE AS EFFORTS TO SANDBAG THE LEVEE BREAK HAVE ENDED. THE PUMPS IN THAT AREA ARE EXPECTED TO FAIL SOON AND 9 FEET OF WATER IS EXPECTED IN THE ENTIRE EAST BANK. WITHIN THE NEXT 12-15 HOURS****

From wwltv.com

When was this issued?

30 minutes ago I heard the sandbagging was working?

Sandbags failed, actually never even started on the 17th street canal. Please see some of my other threads. Pump failed too that was somewhat keeping up with the water.

Any point that lies 6 feet below sea level will be under 9 feet of water. If it is lower than there will be more water.

The water will stop rising when it reaches the lake level which is +3 feet above sea level.

This is a good document. It's a pdf and a bit large at 24Mb but well worth the download. You can zoom in and see detail of the layout of New Orleans and levees, etc.

If you go to the bottom you have a side view of the two main levee systems (one by the lake and the other side by the river). It shows the city of New Orleans, it's elevation and a line across showing where sea level is. That will give you an idea of what 3 feet over sea level means.

http://www.nola.com/hurricane/images/goingunder.pdf

From WDSU.com :

In an exclusive interview with WDSU anchor Norman Robinson, Nagin said the rising water has caused the generators to stop operating because the water got too high. Due to that, Nagin said he's been advised by the head technician at the sewage and water board that water in the east bank area of Orleans and Jefferson parishes will rise to levels equal to Lake Pontchartrain.
(Emphasis added by me)
Nagin: Entire City Will Soon Be Underwater

The one thing I wish they could have shown more of today was this situation with the breaching. Maybe I was missing it but I think the only times I saw video of it was out of corner shots on the copter rescues. I kept wanting to visually understand what was going on there, but I guess there was so much other stuff to cover. Just thought that would have been a pretty important one.

Slides 22 through 25 show the breach in the 17th Street Canal levee. What struck me was that it doesn't look like what I expected, and it doesn't look that strong. But then the water is a lot higher than normal, too. Amazing that it's a canal levee and not a lakeshore border, but it's enough to keep running water into the center of the city.

Slideshow showing breach

This was one of a couple of breaches; the one on the 17th street canal. The most damaging and severe breach is on the north side of town along the lake, so I expect pictures of that to be much more telling.

Back