902 mb

I like to think of it as the atmosphere at 2500 ft MSL bending down to the surface.

Tim

Originally posted by rdewey+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rdewey)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Anonymous
It's right above you.

He means the link to the sustained 196MPH wind report. I see nothing of that in the vortex message. I do see a FL wind of 160KNTS, which is about 6KNTS weaker than the last run - probably because of the ERC.[/b]

Yup-that's what I meant.

I'm going to google how knots can be converted to mph...

Thats the old vortex. Where is the 902mb from is that from RECCO OBS or Dropsnode?

Originally posted by Saul Trabal+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Saul Trabal)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Anonymous
It's right above you.

160 knots = 196 mph??

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Uh-oh.

:([/b]

No, it equals 184MPH and, that is FL winds (Flight Level), to find the SFC wind, you have to knock something like 10% off that, so sustained SFC winds are more likely to be around 165MPH, not 196MPH.

Lastest recon report is simply stating that the strongest winds are 160 knots (184 mph) located 22 nautical miles at 50 degrees from true north (NE quadrant of storm) ... lowest extrapolated pressure is 902 with temperatures of 22C (84F) in the closed eye of 25 nautical miles ....

Wee ... this is fun.

The cyclone does have an immense eye! I was looking at a satellite photo of Gilbert from 88 and it's eye was little more than a pinpoint by comparison.

Katrina looks a lot like Mitch to me...but even he didn't have an eye quite so large.

Ps 1.15*speed in knots=speed in mph

Back