9/17/04 NOW: NC/VA/DC

I want to thank you Mike for always having the crucial and most informative links posted whenever an event happens. I sure appreciate it and makes the searches so much easier for info. :)

Preliminary report of 50 :shock: tornadoes today from SPC across the mid-atlantic states. :shock: Pretty good outbreak, huh?
How often do hurricane remnants cause this many long-tracked supercells?

NWSFO LWX has rated four of the D.C. area tornadoes as of late afternoon on Saturday. These included an F3, two F2s and an F0; one of the F2s almost had a direct hit on the Forecast office (which I believe is at Dulles Int'l) itself: :shock:

THIS TORNADO PASSED WITHIN ONE HALF MILE OF
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE FORECAST OFFICE IN STERLING. THIS PROMPTED THE WEATHER FORECAST OFFICE STAFF ON DUTY TO SEEK SHELTER IN THE SAFE ROOM CONSTRUCTED IN THE OFFICE.

9/71/04 now: NC/VA/DC

The remnants of Hurricane Opal produced tornado damage about 2 miles south of the World Weather Building (where NCEP is located) shortly after dark a few years ago. An NCEP secretary lived just one block from the damage path and was interviewed on TV. I started calling her "tornado bait". :wink:

It will be interesting to compare the inland effects of Opal and Ivan.

Chuck

Back